new girl small issue, first boat!

nikkievix

Seaman Apprentice
ok......just noticed my new rank...there is a joke somewhere but i am NOT going anywhere near it.

nikkievix

Seaman Apprentice
did some thinking...any one ever make an engine cover/dog house using glassed blue foam insulation board and some plywood? i want to go that route so i can have some nice rounded corners and it being light weight.

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
Poly resin will melt the blue foam .
But epoxy resin won't .

gm280

Supreme Mariner
If you go with the blue poly, then you will have to coat it with something to be able to use polyester resin and not have it melt the foam. Even cover it with packers clear tape will help. JMHO

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
well most folks wouldn't admit to doing something that stupid. Welcome to the club, We've been waiting for you...

:D

nikkievix

Seaman Apprentice
well most folks wouldn't admit to doing something that stupid. Welcome to the club, We've been waiting for you...

:D

lol! thanks.. yeah i been thinking of doing the interior with the epoxy. i once made a kinda nice fast r/c plane with blue foam and lightg fiberglass..flew twice till it turned in to a lawn dart. tho plan is tocut the foam, make plywood patterns out of 1/4 inch, use the pine gueest sticks, sand and shape, make cup holders (must have those), couple latch mounting blocks and then seal with epoxy and fibergladd over it, bondo and paint.

mickyryan

Rear Admiral
did some thinking...any one ever make an engine cover/dog house using glassed blue foam insulation board and some plywood? i want to go that route so i can have some nice rounded corners and it being light weight.
made one of 1/4" wood so i imagine you could copy and glass it it fit perfectly over the 3.0 there is pics on my post for the boat i did the basis wouldn't be bad glassed and done white either, not everyone likes that wood look :)

nikkievix

Seaman Apprentice
an update!! new plug wires, new coil, rebuilt and repainted carb. seems the oil pressure sending unit is crapped out. any way..heres smut.
couple friends helped me out again on this. i rebuilt the carb and made the custom plug wires from a universal set of MSD street fire pro wires.

nikkievix

Seaman Apprentice
little update, did an oil change, new oil pressure sending unit, still working on the electrical, carb rebuilt, engine tuned up decently, starting on filling in the little gouges and scratches with some spot putty. got a couple areas that go deep in the fiberglass, but not through it that i gotta grind out and back fill with epoxy and chop strand. found a few small spots where it looks like air bubbles popped in the gel coat, so gotta fill those in with some epoxy...atleast the weather is warming up decently here.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
little update, did an oil change, new oil pressure sending unit, still working on the electrical, carb rebuilt, engine tuned up decently, starting on filling in the little gouges and scratches with some spot putty. got a couple areas that go deep in the fiberglass, but not through it that i gotta grind out and back fill with epoxy and chop strand. found a few small spots where it looks like air bubbles popped in the gel coat, so gotta fill those in with some epoxy...atleast the weather is warming up decently here.

When you say "spot Putty" is that a lacquer putty or resin based? If lacquer if made not work and fall out. Really depends on where, how much and what is going over it. JMHO

nikkievix

Seaman Apprentice
When you say "spot Putty" is that a lacquer putty or resin based? If lacquer if made not work and fall out. Really depends on where, how much and what is going over it. JMHO

it's the orange stuff being used is the small gouges. the large gouges and deep dings will be getting the "peanutt butter".

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Just remember this is a Boat and not a car. The fiberglass and filler products should be for a MARINE environment. Cars don't spend that much time submerged in water so the products can be designed differently. Highly recommend you use Marine rated products. To thicken your epoxy you can use just about anything. Wood Dust from your sander, Baby Powder etc... Epoxy has much better water resistance so using non hygroscopic materials is not as important.

Michelle43

Cadet
Just spent the last 45 min reading this post from the beginning. Thanks for the laughs....your posts are very amusing and I agree whole-heartedly with whoever mentioned that you have a VERY interesting life! I just imagined you sitting on that pond in your boat, drinking beer and catching fish....and I almost fell on the floor lauging. I can't wait to see the finished product and I hope it's safe and you get a lot of enjoyment out of it. As for me, I'm working on restoring my first boat, 1984 Sea Nymph. I spent my whole day wrestling with a new transom and figuring out how to install splash well drains. Needless to say, 5200 is NOT my friend.....my hands are coated with a gray film tonight. I don't think that will go away very soon. Oh well, after reading your adventures, I just laugh at myself and continue on. Can't wait to read about your progress tomorrow.

nikkievix

Seaman Apprentice
heh, glad i can bring a laugh or 2.. so yesterday i picked up a bunch of free wood, mostly for the interior bits and be getting more either today or tomorrow. the orange stuff is above the water line and is just used on the scratches and gouges that are to deep to sand off. below will be epoxy, gel coat and fiberglass.later today i'm going to cut up some of the 1x2 to make mounting blacks and get them coated in epoxy and mounted. also....i took the 1 piece gas filler off...in 5 pieces and the filler hose is hard as a rock, so those are getting replaced along with the vent and vent line. i did run the engine for about 45 minutes yesterday (neighbors "loved" the rumble) and kept an eye on the oil quality and made sure no water or gas was making its way in to the oil..so far...so good.

nikkievix

Seaman Apprentice
so....new plans boys...i'm gonna clean up the engine cover, sand it down and glass the plywood, salvage what i can of the original bench seat frame and start converting to a bass boat kinda device. 2x4 framing will be bare minimum to save weight and got some 1/4 inch MDF sheets that i've already started to coat in epoxy paint (sea grey) to use on interior panels and non-structural areas. got an 8x40 foot roll of sea grey marine carpet on the way, some more 2x4 and some 1x2 and 1x1....next week i'm gonna pick up a few boxes of SS screws and a whole lotta construction adhesive. gonna do a seat well type of set up with 2 fishing chairs on 16 inch posts, a live well and plenty of storage. the center walk way section will be a seperatly installed box with a couple cup holders and the right seat well will be longer for an adjustable seat mount for normal people and wide round midgets like my self. the whole set up will be sitting on 2x4's running over the original deck with cross pieces..kinda like toe boards for walls....actualy...thats what they will be like..but not made to support several tons of house but a few hundred pounds of idiots and gear. still need some marine ply wood to do the upper walkway and forward deck. atleast now i have a plan. still gotta finish cutting up the pontoon boat. took about 836 pounds of it and came away with a little under $260 :)

nikkievix

Seaman Apprentice
got some progress pix here..started the bulkhead frame..not quite done with it, but coming along nicely. the original engine cover is going to eventualy get replaced and in a couple pix..the boards are what i'm going to use for the bulkhead sheeting which all the wood will be coatd in white epoxy paint are just set in place to keep curious cats out of the rear section after finding a couple turds in the bilge.

Attachments

• 0606171910a.jpg
    0606171910a.jpg
    102.5 KB · Views: 0
  • 0606171503.jpg
    0606171503.jpg
    101.3 KB · Views: 0