new girl small issue, first boat!

nikkievix

Seaman Apprentice
allo all... so last weekend i got my first boat, a freebie off craigslist. has no documentation with it, was bought originaly from a storage facility near lake san antonio and even the storage yard had no paperwork for it..so there is no title, the hull number comes up dry and i need info to get the salvage title so i can reg it and its trailer. i can't find any thing that has a hull serial humber, it's a 1985 (according to the gas tank) glasstream 17 foot inboard with a mercruiser 120 engine. i'm wondering if it is possible to find the hull serial number based on the transom assembly, outdrive and engine numbers.....only other number is CF 5923 SJ for the hull number...but so far searches about that are showing nothing. i really wanna get this legal so i can have a reason to put it in the water next season.
right now i'm just working on getting things fixed, putting a new deck on to last me atleast a couple seasons before i tear the old deck off and make the hull in to something else.gonna remake the interior to something more.....me..something to fit my plus size self in comfortably. now the boat is a bow rider..that much i know about the config and my truck seems to tow it just fine, which is pretty good for a little mazda b2000. than you in advance.

tpenfield

Staff member
:welcome:

The Hull Identification Number (HIN) should be located in the upper right (starboard) side of the transom. It is molded into the fiberglass when the boat was made. The HIN will be 12 digits, starting with 3 letters (which signifies the manufacturer) and ending with 2 digits signifying the model year ('85' assuming that it is a 1985 model). So, have a look at the transom and see if you can find the HIN

The "CF 5923 SJ" is the registration number (CF being California) of presumably the last owner who registered the boat. Is there any other sticker near the registration number showing the expiration date/year? That could be helpful if you need to back-track ownership.

Last edited:

fhhuber

Lieutenant
You need documentation from the storage company showing that you bought the boat at a sale to cover a storage lien.
And the storage company has to have properly filed the lien...

Texas is more difficult than most states for handling a missing boat title. Generally no title = you aren't getting it registered.
The sale to cover a lien is about the only way around it.

1985 is new enough that the hull number will be on the transom. If you can't find it, just tow it to the local boat dealer and ask for help finding it. They can show you in seconds. You'll want to get to know the dealer because you'll be seeing them a lot.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Welcome Aboard

to add a picture to Ted's info

CN-hull-identification-number.jpg

you may need to register your trailer as well. there should be a VIN on the trailer. usually its a metallic decal, however some times its a vinyl decal. could be on the tongue, could be on one of the rails

nikkievix

Seaman Apprentice
i got ahold of the "storage" yard, found out it was some lady down there that works for the lake dock and offering to store boats while lake san antonio was closed due to the drought. all she had was the owners phone number which has been long disconnected and records showing attempts to contact for him to get his boat out and pay his fee for another year. it was last registered in 2001, but i asked if she had any paper work like a title and she said she did not and because she was not an actual storage facility, the DMV would not give her a lien title. how ever i will call the DMV today and see if i can get things sorted out.. as for the SN, i'll look for that also.

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
let us know what the DMV says there are almost always options. Not all pleasant, but options.

and if SN means serial number, remember on boats it is a HIN (hull identification number)

nikkievix

Seaman Apprentice
i found the HIN..looks like there used to be a metal plate, but thankfuly its stamped in to the fiberglass...took a paint marker from my gundam set, ran some searches and the number comes back valid, clean and not stolen, just comes back to what i have, a 1985 glasstream built in january...just waiting on hold for the next hour or so with the DMV...atleast now it seems it'll be easier to get a salvage title.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
there is no metal plate except the one they put in the mold to make the impressions. hence the impressions of the screws as well.

nikkievix

Seaman Apprentice
ok...so here are some pix of the boat. starting with the day i brought hr home.

Attachments

• 0415171204.jpg
    0415171204.jpg
    76.8 KB · Views: 2
  • 0415171426.jpg
    0415171426.jpg
    83.2 KB · Views: 2
  • 0415171604.jpg
    0415171604.jpg
    95.7 KB · Views: 2
  • 0420171526.jpg
    0420171526.jpg
    88.8 KB · Views: 2
  • 0420171525.jpg
    0420171525.jpg
    88.3 KB · Views: 2
  • 0420171525c.jpg
    0420171525c.jpg
    74.2 KB · Views: 2
  • 0418171914.jpg
    0418171914.jpg
    76.7 KB · Views: 2
  • 0420171525b.jpg
    0420171525b.jpg
    64.3 KB · Views: 2
  • 0420171528.jpg
    0420171528.jpg
    106.6 KB · Views: 2

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Just my $0.02 cents worth. I would hold off doing anything to the boat and trailer until I knew for absolute certain it is yours. Sad to work on a boat and/or trailer and then find out the owner wants it back. JMHO

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
Try to use photobucket for pic there is a thread here somwhere..

it is an I/O. You ready to turn a wrench?

nikkievix

Seaman Apprentice
there is no records for the boat or the trailer in the DMV system and tomorrow i get to tow them to the dmv, get the trailer checked out and pay the $138 for the titles and the first 3 years of trailer reg...i have a bill of sale writen by the guy i got it from...if the original owner wants it back......there is no records any more and according to rich at the dmv call center....its in my posession, no records in the system, i have a bill of sale...therefore i am the legal owner. besides....it was concidered abandoned for many years.

nikkievix

Seaman Apprentice
the boat has no reports of being stolen, already cleared with the sheriff.

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
very diff story, plus let's be honest that boat ain't no vette (all due respect ma'am to your new boat)

nikkievix

Seaman Apprentice
heh, no biggie. i've done everything i can in terms of legalities and what not.as soon as i get the title processed then i plan on getting some plywood and fiberglass fun stuff to start the deck "replacement". i been going to the 2 local boat yards to get advice and so far the quick and dirty low buck is to sand down the original deck, clean completly and waterproof some half inch ply, glue and screw it to the deck and glass over. this will net me a few years of use while i save up for a full deck replacment down to the stringers. not including title and reg fee's, my budget is $750 for the wood, fiberglass, electronics, lighting, interior, railings, cleats and electrical work. when i replace the deck completly, i'll also repaint the boat, change the engine to the 3 liter 4 cylinder with electronic ignition, V bottom fuel tank to center the weight and a wet well.

Last edited:

gm280

Supreme Mariner
If seems you have done your homework. And once you have it legally in your favor, then you need to take lots of pictures and measurements before demolition. Post those pictures on here and allow us to guide you in the best direction to make your boat both safe and sound. Please don't go crazy and do things first and then ask questions. If you get detailed ideas and suggestions before hand, you will save a lot of money and time. JMHO

Jcris

Chief Petty Officer
Great that you're fired up about fixing the boat but please proceed with caution. Cost can get out of control. I agree with gm280, post some pic's. The folks here have done all manner of repairs and their experience is invaluable. I'll stay tuned....

jbcurt00

Staff member
All at once or spread over time, $750 doesnt sound like enough of a budget to get to a water ready and safe boat. Even if you own all the right tools already.

Twice that is much more likely. More if you swap engines.

Welcome to boat rehab and best of luck w your project. Looks like a fairly good starting point for a project.