NEW BOATER!! Repairing stringers

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
If you are using polyester resin then yes this is exactly how I'd recommend doing your stringers

rickryder

Commander
yes 1708 is a biaxial woven mat with csm sewn to it.... This should be some useful info http://www.westsystem.com/ss/chopped-strand-mat-epoxy/

You can buy fiberglass cloth tape in various widths to tab your stringers to the hull.... a 8" wide roll will allow 4" on the hull and 4" up the stringer .... then start with biax 12" wide ... 6" on hull 6" on stringer.... then go full stringer height with equal amount lapping on the hull... this will spread the load over a wider area.

Things to consider... fiberglass hates sharp bends....thats why we fillet the PB so there is a slope from stringer to hull....rounding over the top of the stringer will aid in bending glass over the top to seal it. My stringers were laid up in this fashion ... I stopped the biax just short of the top of the stringer then I capped the top with 6oz cloth (bends much easier than biax).

Bigreddon

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Thanks for more tips. I'm not inept, and have the skills to do this. But every time I go to do a step, I find some other bit of info. I bought the west system epoxy and manual (which they charged me for and pissed me off to no end...after spending $200 dollars on product and is available online and I downloaded to filamager...). I know there's more than one way to skin a cat...but there's umpteen ways to do it wrong as well...and with my luck.......

rickryder

Commander
Yep been there....made a few mistakes on mine too... don't worry everything will work out!

tpenfield

Staff member
Yup, I too always seem to find that I can do thing better once I have passed a certain step.

However, on some key steps, I have found it helpful to use this forum as a 'sounding board' for ideas and methods.

Bigreddon

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I only have the gallon of epoxy resin and hardner now. Using that for the stringers. It will be enough for that. Only have about 9 feet of stringers to bed, and one is already done. I'll buy more when I get the glass mailed to me, and am ready to glass the stringers in. Pretty stoked to get going On that so ican put a friggin floor back in her!!

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Uhmm 1 gal of epoxy will be enuf to make PB to bed the stinger and make the fillets but I doubt it will be enuf for tabbing it to the hull. And if you plan on using the epoxy to tab the stinger to the hull you DON'T use 1708 for that you would just use 17oz biaxial fabric with NO CSM stitched to it. Epoxy does NOT require CSM Only Polyester resin requires it. Have you read and studied this?...Fabricating Decks, Stringers, and Transoms

Arawak

Chief Petty Officer
You might have enough epoxy since you would be using 17oz w/o mat. Definitely not enough if you were using 1708.

But it could be close, especially if you do not get the economy of experience with the material. Would suck to have *almost* enough.

As far as the floor goes, I'd use two layers of 4oz cloth if you're using epoxy. If it's tropical marine ply (Okume or meranti) then just neat epoxy, no cloth. Fir plywood needs cloth or it will check.

Just CSM if you're using polyester, 1708 would be overkill IMO.

Bigreddon

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Yes...I'll be buying more resin for the glass and sole. I have plenty for my short stringers. Thanks for the tips!!! I have had a couple goes at getting the fillets to stay put without oozing flat. Cold temps and slow cure times. I finally got a good consistency for my fillets, and had an excellent result third time 'round. I'll bed the other stringer tomorrow! Maybe next weekend I'll start on tabbing the stringers in....and put those west marine gift cards to good use!!

Last edited:

Arawak

Chief Petty Officer
West System epoxy is great stuff - there's a reason they are the market leader. But they are probably about the most expensive too. You may consider a cheaper epoxy if you are buying more. You can go from one brand to another during a batch without problems.

FWIW I used scissors to chop some scraps of fiberglass I had leftover from the transom, and mixed that into the PB I made today when I was bedding my stringers. It really cuts down on the sag, but at the expense of being rather hairy.

rickryder

Commander
I used 1708 on my deck but since I was doing a fishing type rig it's good traction when the deck is wet and fishy lol

Bigreddon

Petty Officer 2nd Class
So I'm going to use poly resin for the glass over the stringers. I have enough epoxy resin to finish the other stringer bedding. I have some 1708 on the way to use for the stringers with poly resin. I'll also use that 1708 to cover the plywood and tab the deck to the hull. I also have a short transition at the helm from the floor....a short step down...to where the battery, fuel tank and power trim hydraulics sit near the transom. There is a solid 1/4" of material on top of the wood near the transom, and where the deck meets the hull. The 1708 should help with this thickness..

Bigreddon

Petty Officer 2nd Class
You might have enough epoxy since you would be using 17oz w/o mat. Definitely not enough if you were using 1708.

But it could be close, especially if you do not get the economy of experience with the material. Would suck to have *almost* enough.

As far as the floor goes, I'd use two layers of 4oz cloth if you're using epoxy. If it's tropical marine ply (Okume or meranti) then just neat epoxy, no cloth. Fir plywood needs cloth or it will check.

Just CSM if you're using polyester, 1708 would be overkill IMO.

I love that phrase "economy from experience". Classic. I also liked "paralysis from analysis".

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
If you bed the stringers using epoxy and form the fillets and then attempt to tab the stringers to the hull using Poly and the 1708 I fear you'll have bonding issues at the critical juncture of the fillets. If you don't get a good bond here it could cause delamination issues. This would not be good. I'd much rather see you go ahead and finish the stringers and bulkheads with epoxy and then do the rest of the boat with Poly to save some money.

Last edited:

Bigreddon

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Thanks for that tip. No bulkhead work going on here, and I WAS already planning on getting more epoxy to lam the glass to stringers. I bought 1708 with GSM for that. However, since GSM isn't needed with epoxy, I'll grab straight up 17 (weight?) glass to finish with epoxy. It was my concern,as well, bonding issues between various resins. That's why I went with epoxy. It bonds to everything apparently.

So...I'll PB and fillet last stringer...using epoxy, and purchase and use 17 (weight?) glass with epoxy to tab stringers in. Then, Cary on using poly and 1708 (which I purchased from advice and reading multiple articles..) to attach deck to hull and cover deck. Sounds good to me!!

Bigreddon

Petty Officer 2nd Class
The sanding had begun!! Fillets getting smoothed out and feathered to hull. I've watched some videos regarding glass application, and the ones ive watched all refer to 1708 being applied to the stringers. I've ordered 1708, but some of you said to not use 1708, just straight up 17 oz. as far as cost of resin, I'm not concerned about it. My concern is the ability of the glass to bend and form easily, being it's thicker with its csm backing. I can use epoxy resin with 1708, even though it isn't necessary right? Will it bend and form and stick across 2x4 stringers easily? I have that resin and really have no other use for it, since I'll be using poly resin to tab in and cover the floor.