need Wi-Fi whiz

jaxnjil

Lieutenant
i am at the marina and get a wi-fi signal. it is only one of 5 bars though.
as a result when on line it drops and then picks up again.
wen not on line every so often get a message there is a wire less connection. do i want to connect -pop up.

my question is- is there any kind of antenna or trick i can use to get a better signal? it helps when i get to the bow and under the hatch but cant go any farther that way.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member
Re: need Wi-Fi whiz

google increasing wifi signal and there are a few tricks.

4JawChuck

Chief Petty Officer

When I am on the road I sometimes have trouble keeping a low quality WIFI signal connected to my laptop, I have used a long string of solder wire to run outside my hotel window to transer the signal and get more surface area to the internal WIFI built into my laptop. Since my antenna is built into the screen I just wrap a few loops around the base of the lid.

Its crude but it works, a length of copper would be more elegant but its the only bare wire I have in my service vehicle so I make do. I usually pick up a bar or two of reception but more importantly add stability to the signal which keeps me connected. Usually I have 25 feet or more hanging out the window which I imagine must look pretty funny.

You do what you have to sometimes.:cool:

skipperjon

Recruit

I use an antenna which plugs into the usb port. It is made by H-Field. Works pretty good, usually will increase the strenght by 2 to 3 bars. It clips to the top of the laptop but it has a lousy mount and it keeps moving.

Adjuster

Petty Officer 1st Class

joed

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Its crude but it works, a length of copper would be more elegant but its the only bare wire I have in my service vehicle so I make do.

I don't think you need BARE wire for an antenna. The signal should pass through insulation.

lowkee

Lieutenant Commander

If you have AC power on your boat while you are doing this, you can simply buy a d-link router and configure it as a wi-fi repeater. Wi-Fi routers have a much more powerful antenna and put out more mW than your laptop. You will find it will detect stable Wi-Fi which your laptop doesn't even see.

From an article on repeaters:
A recent review of the repeating function of the D-Link DWL-900AP+ access point identifies a range increase of 160%. In the review, the original signal was lost at about 55feet from the router/access point. With the placement of a DWL-900AP+ set to repeater mode at the site of the original signal loss, the signal strength was still around 72% at 140 feet. The repeater provides the extra kick in situations where you need to reach remote users.

They may even sell wi-fi repeaters which may cost less than a router and be easier to configure. FYI, hotels use this exact technology to ensure all rooms see the signal. Granted, most hotels do a **** poor job at it ;)

QC

Supreme Mariner

Can all wireless routers be configured as a "repeater"? This has been in the back of my mind for a while. I have a spare router (Netgear WGT624) and would love to set it up to pick up our standard wireless signal from the downstairs and and use as an additional router and repeater upstairs. Possible? Stupid misunderstanding of the stuff?

lowkee

Lieutenant Commander

Can all wireless routers be configured as a "repeater"?

Nearly all router hardware has repeater support, but very few of them support it via the factory configuration. Your router, for example, has repeater support but the interface won't let you configure it.

Here is a how-to for your exact router if you are feeling adventurous: http://www.beatjunkie.de/Router_eng.htm

D-Link routers normally have repeater support via the GUI as well as Belkin. It is best to look up the model of any router you are considering buying to ensure it has repeater support and how easy it is to configure. Some routers require custom firmware, which enables MUCH more functionality than the stock interface. For example, I have an Asus router ($80) which, via custom firmware (DD-WRT firmware) can do anything a $1,000+ router can do, including working as a public pay-per-use router similar to that used in airports and coffee shops.

jaxnjil

Lieutenant

f you have AC power on your boat while you are doing this, you can simply buy a d-link router and configure it as a wi-fi repeater. Wi-Fi routers have a much more powerful antenna and put out more mW than your laptop. You will find it will detect stable Wi-Fi which your laptop doesn't even see.
as it happens we do have a belkin at home were not using. will check and see if it is one we could use. and yes we do have shore power. will check the link you posted for qc.
thanks lowkee

Any of these with an external antenna. Use a usb extension cable to place outside your boat for even better reception. If you have a built in wireless on your laptop make sure you disable it.

this seems like the easy. will try first. is it a big deal to disable antena thats in lap top now?

thanks adjuster

When I am on the road I sometimes have trouble keeping a low quality WIFI signal connected to my laptop, I have used a long string of solder wire to run outside my hotel window to transer the signal and get more surface area to the internal WIFI built into my laptop. Since my antenna is built into the screen I just wrap a few loops around the base of the lid.
have a roll of copper wire. will try this after noon

thanks 4 jaw

Adjuster

Petty Officer 1st Class

Some laptops have an on/off switch for the onboard wifi. Still I would go to the device manager, highlight your wireless hardware, right click and choose disable. Very simple to do. Repeat steps to enable if you need to turn it back on. Then install the new software for one of the usb adapters I linked to and you should be all set. You will be surprised the signals that external antenna will pick up. Keep in mind they are not weather resistant in any way shape or form so if you use it outside a hatch or something pull it inside during a rain. Although putting it inside a sandwich bag or something of the like would solve this problem and it won't affect the signal.

jaxnjil

Lieutenant

ok. that's what i'm doing now when not on the net and it gives me a pop up every time ti looses signal and then loges back on.
for what ever reason its working better to day than it has in the last 2 weeks.

Bifflefan

Commander

Dont laugh...This is total Redneck.

I took and old satalite dish and removed the LNB (eye balls) then used a zip tie to hold an external antenna on the end of the arm. pointed the dish at the WiFi and got reception at around 500 feet. :D:D

j_martin

Admiral

Dont laugh...This is total Redneck.

I took and old satalite dish and removed the LNB (eye balls) then used a zip tie to hold an external antenna on the end of the arm. pointed the dish at the WiFi and got reception at around 500 feet. :D:D

Believe it or not, you can make a pretty high gain directional antenna out of a pringles can, an rf connector, and a short piece of solid wire.

At the risk of getting my fingers slapped, I'll post a link.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cantenna

Bifflefan

Commander

I just remembered something an IT guy told me.

Google "tomato" and click the first (top) site in the list.
This is a firmware that you can adjust the wifi power output of some routers.

I did mine and it gets out a ton better.

But, as he told me "this may void your warranty":eek:

Use at your own risk