need Wi-Fi whiz

lowkee

Lieutenant Commander
Re: need Wi-Fi whiz

Dont laugh...This is total Redneck.

I took and old satalite dish and removed the LNB (eye balls) then used a zip tie to hold an external antenna on the end of the arm. pointed the dish at the WiFi and got reception at around 500 feet. :D:D

Using that same method you can get a good 2-mile range. From what you describe, the antenna you made will likely get that distance if connected to your router and you have line of sight.

A cheap $10 fan shroud half will produce similar results. Redneck sounding, yes, but these methods work wonders.

H20Rat

Vice Admiral

cantenna's are ok, just tricky to find actual foil lined pringles cans anymore!

another thing to watch out for, high db OMNI antennas are usually a bad idea. You are increasing the amount of noise you pick up in the same ratio as signal. Given a marina environment, you might get away with a good mid-db omni, probably not much noise, but on the other hand you might end up with less usable signal.

joed

Lieutenant Junior Grade

How to build a tin can wifi antenna. Use any tin can. It doesn't need to be a pringles can.

http://www.turnpoint.net/wireless/cantennahowto.html

nalleyscantenna.jpg
insidepringles.jpg

starett

Recruit

I found that An ethier net device along with the focal antenna works great (links wet11 along with a cantenna or focal antenna

Cofe

Lieutenant Commander

Will the can method work on a wireless N ? I noticed all these posts are referring to wireless G.

j_martin

Admiral

Should be fine. Wireless N uses multiple antennas on all components simultaneously. Wireless G uses multiple antennas and switches them dynamically on signal strength and quality. I found that out trying to set up a router with 2 antennas, one on each side of an RF impermeable wall. It was for a wireless telephone system. Man was that squirrelly till I figured out my mistake. One phone conversation would get cut off by another starting on the other side of the wall.

hope it helps
John