Need help

Mikeyboy

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Don't know where to start

Gotcha. I have muffs but think I'm going to pick up a large bucket of some kind to run it in water. I figure that will be a little closer to actual conditions with back pressure and such. Also it will keep the dirt driveway from turning into a mud bog lol.

Mikeyboy

Chief Petty Officer

I am anxiously awaiting the arrival of my new manuals. I ordered both the owners and service manuals and they should be here sometime today. While I am waiting I have been doing some research on tools. I have read a few posts saying that regular automotive compression testers can give false readings on an outboard motor. Is this true and if so is there a 2-stroke specific gauge I need to buy? Also for checking timing do I use a standard timing light?

Mikeyboy

Chief Petty Officer

Ok so I just received my manuals and have started reading thru them. I was reading in the owners manual and it says to never run the motor in a test tank without a test wheel or you can destroy the water pump. I'm not sure what a test wheel is or if this is truly necessary as I have heard of running motors in tanks garbage cans etc but never heard of using these wheels. Do they replace the prop? Please advise as I was planning on tinkering with the motor this weekend and was going to use a tank. Also are you supposed to use a wheel when running on muffs as well?

BonairII

Commander

Don't worry about the test wheel. To my knowledge, it's a wheel/prop that allows the motor to be run WOT in a test tank. It probably allows the proper load to be applied to the motor, so it can be diagnosed/tuned properly.

Mikeyboy

Chief Petty Officer

Ok thanks for that. I really want to use a tank but when I read that it made me nervous. I know so little about outboards that I'm kind of paranoid about breaking something.

BonairII

Commander

Nothing wrong with being careful. Read your manual carefully and you'll be fine. If you have questions, the experts here will walk you through it.

The key is to listen to the advice given by the pros here and heed it. Trying to take shortcuts and/or haphazardly throwing new parts at a motor will get expensive and frustrating.

Mikeyboy

Chief Petty Officer

Point well taken. My budget is to tight to be replacing working parts. I'm reading thru my new manuals now and plan on working on it this weekend. I'm going to start with compression and spark gap tests as I've been advised here. I also now know from reading the manual and what I saw looking over the motor the last time I ran it my start speed adjustment is off and I know know how to adjust that so that may help my cold start problem. Thanks to everyone for the advice so far. Please keep watching as I'm sure the questions will keep comming.

Mikeyboy

Chief Petty Officer

Ok so I have another question already. On the back of the motor just below the hood there are 2 small holes that the manual calls exhaust relief. When I was running the motor on the muffs the other day I noticed a small amount of water comming out of those holes. Is that normal or indicitave of a problem?

Haffiman

Commander

Running on muffs and questions about cooling and water does not fit together.
Water will normally come out depending of the working of the thermostat, water when thermostat/relief valve opens.

Mikeyboy

Chief Petty Officer

Ok so a little water out of the exhaust relief holes is normal. Thank you. I didn't think it was caused by being on the muffs just trying to give as much detail as possible for the best possible answers.

BonairII

Commander

When you get a chance....read the "Top Secret Files" about adding a telltale to your motor. It's very easy to do....and gives you instant peace of mind knowing that your impeller is pumping water.

It won't tell you if your t-stat is working, though.

Probably a good idea to pull your t-stat and check it's condition and test that it opens properly.

Mikeyboy

Chief Petty Officer

I'll check into that. The engine is new to me and I know next to nothing about the 2-strokes so I'm jumping in with both feet here. Trying to get all the info I can before I go crazy and start wasting money throwing parts at it.

Haffiman

Commander

Throw away the muffs and run in a barrel when testing waterpump function.

Mikeyboy

Chief Petty Officer

I've been planning on picking up some kind of tub to do run tests in. I've been told it more accurately simulates operating conditions with back pressure and such plus where I keep the boat is basically a dirt driveway and running on muffs turns it into a mud hole which is not so great for working on it.

Mikeyboy

Chief Petty Officer

So I was looking in the top secret files for adding a telltale but did not see what you are talking about. Also I'm not exactly sure what that is. Is it kind of like a sight glass under the cover or does it add an external "pee stream" or something? Thanks.

BonairII

Commander

http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=222677

This is a vid of my telltale
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lp40DFFQuFM

I didn't use the large bulkhead fitting described in the above thread....I used a "delrin tube" that I got in the plumbing section of my local Lowe's store. I only had to drill a very small hole in my lower shroud, instead of the much larger hole that the bulkhead fitting requires.

Mikeyboy

Chief Petty Officer

Thank you for that info. This may be a dumb question but do you have to take a part the motor to install that or do you just carefully drill into it fully assembled?

BonairII

Commander

You can install it in 15 minutes. Drill initial hole then tap hole. Screw in fitting and attach hose. Simple as pie.

It's scary drilling into a motor for the first time. The water jacket(what your drilling into) isn't thick. It's maybe 3/16ths thick, so don't drill into it like your trying to dig to China. :D

Put lots of grease on the drill bit to catch the shavings. And just take your time when tapping the threads, just make sure that the tap is vertical and not on a slant.

Watch a youtube vid or 2 about tapping a hole(assuming you don't know how to do it). You can buy a tap kit at hatbrofreight tools for like $14 bucks.

If you're uncertain where to locate the hole, just post a pic of the top of the motor and we'll help you out.

Mikeyboy

Chief Petty Officer

Gotcha. I will certainly look into that. Sounds like good peace of mind. Hopefully my v-4 has that bung on the #1 cylinder that the top secret file was talking about so I know exactly where to drill. I'll be going over to the boat tomorrow to do some tinkering and testing so I'll be sure to look at that.

Mikeyboy

Chief Petty Officer

Ok another stupid question. When installing the fitting for the telltale do you have to seal the threads some how or do you just screw it in and call it a day?