Need help

Mikeyboy

Chief Petty Officer
I recently bought a boat that came with a johnson motor. I was told its a 1975 135 horsepower. I need help confirming that and also need to know where I can buy a service manual. The model number is 135esl75e. The serial number is j4332455. I appreciate any help you guys can give me.

BonairII

Commander
Re: Need help

Yup...your year and hp are correct.

Try ebay or ken cook etc for a manual.

gibletts

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Need help

I used to have one of those motors, blew the thing up in the end, I still might have a copy of a workshop manual, unless the missus has chucked it, no good to me anymore pm me.

Mikeyboy

Chief Petty Officer
Don't know where to start

Don't know where to start

Ok a few weeks ago I bought a 1969 Larson lapline 18 foot ski boat with a 1975 Johnson 135 horse motor. I finally got it in the water today and the good news is it didn't sink! That's where the good news ends. The motor is vary hard to start when cold. After about 5 min I got it started and pulled away from the dock. Once I got out to deep water I tried to open her up and at wide open throttle I'd say I wasn't even going 15 mph. It was also slow on the hole shot which surprised me because the guy I bought it from said he put on a 15p prop for a good hole shot. Also several times during the 30 min or so I was out the motor stalled and it got worse as time went on. As I was docking it stalled and than every time I put it in gear it would stall again. After about 15 tries I was finally able to get it to idle dead slow to get it into the dock. I did notice that the bulb in the fuel line got soft and when I was having trouble keeping the motor running pumping the bulb back up helped. Seem like its having trouble drawing fuel. It also seemed like its idling a little low. I don't know if there could be one issue causing all these problems or if I have multiple problems and have no idea where to start. I know I need to get a service manual first and foremost and would also appreciate help with where to find one of those. Thanks in advance for all the help. I know this forum is full of guys who really know what they are talking about.

Haffiman

Commander
Re: Don't know where to start

I believe you should start with a compression test!!!!

Mikeyboy

Chief Petty Officer

Ok thanks I'll do that.

Mikeyboy

Chief Petty Officer

I am new to all of this so forgive me if this is a dumb question but how do you do a compression test? I assume I will have to go buy some sort of a gauge but I don't know where to hook it up. I have some mechanical experience but I have never worked on a two stroke or and outboard before.

BonairII

Commander

Harborfreight has compression testers also. Mine seems to work well.

Get yourself an adjustable spark tester also. It's another cheap(but invaluable) tool that you'll use often.

Mikeyboy

Chief Petty Officer

Thanks for the info. I will hopefully have a repair manual soon which should help limit some of my rookie questions. I will try and get the gauge and spark tester this week and see if I can do some tinkering over the weekend. I was also thinking about trying to clean the carbs and I was told to just remove them and soak the whole unit dry it with compressed air and reinstall. Is this a good method and if so what should I soak them in? Thanks for any wisdom you all can share.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

That is not a useful method to clean carbs, Mikey. I suggest you wait until you have the OEM Service Manual, then use that to guide you in cleaning the carbs.

Good luck. :)

Mikeyboy

Chief Petty Officer

It sounded like kind of a sketchy method to me. I'll wait and read the manual first. Thanks for continuing to humor my noobie questions.

Mikeyboy

Chief Petty Officer

Can you guys tell me if it is common for the bulb in the fuel line to go soft during operation or does that indicate some sort of problem like fuel starvation.

BonairII

Commander

It will go soft after start-up because fuel is flowing. Just make sure your tank vent is open, so you don't create a vacuum and stop the fuel flow.

Cap'n Chaos

Petty Officer 1st Class

It could indicate a fuel pump on its way out... or an air / fuel leak. You can test that the fuel pump is working by removing the fuel line that feeds the carb and turn the engine over (like you are going to start it.) Fuel should pulse out of the hose, if it doesn't then you might need to replace/ rebuild. (or look for a leak)

Get yourself a service manual, it is really helpful.

Do as suggested and start with a compression test. This will tell you if there are problems you need to address before rebuilding or replacing any parts.

BonairII

Commander

It could indicate a fuel pump on its way out... or an air / fuel leak.

Mikey, if you suspect an air leak...just run a piece of clear fuel hose from the fuel pump to the carb. Run the motor and watch the line to see if air bubbles are going thru the clear hose. Occasional, tiny bubbles are ok....but large and/or frequent bubbles means that air is getting in. Not only will that affect idle, but the extra air leans out the fuel mix.

Once your done testing for leaks....replace the clear line. It's only used for testing purposes.

Mikeyboy

Chief Petty Officer

Thanks for the info. I have ordered a service manual it should be here in a few days. I'm just trying to get some ideas while I twiddle my thumbs waiting for it to arrive. I'm anxious to get to work on this. My first boat that was a freebie was a spectacular failure that only made it in the water one time so now that I have a new one I really want to get it working right ASAP. I am going to pick up a pressure gauge and variable spark tester this weekend as per previous suggestions. Are there any other tools I should be picking up right a way for the purpose of diagnosing and repairing an outboard. I have all the typical hand tools just wondering about specialty tools. Thanks again guys.

BonairII

Commander

I am going to pick up a pressure gauge and variable spark tester this weekend as per previous suggestions. Are there any other tools I should be picking up right a way for the purpose of diagnosing and repairing an outboard.

A set of water muffs or large garbage can(or whatever holds a lot of water) will obviously be needed.