Need help with a 1982 Evinrude 10HP that is having lots of problems

aaarneson

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hello

I need some help with a used motor I just recently bought.

I took it out yesterday for the first time and was having some issues.

First off, when initial trying to start the motor it wouldn't start. We tried everything. Then we noticed that when we pulled the choke all the way out it would automatically go back in about a half of an inch. So holding all the way out and then pulling the string it finally started.

Then one of the mixture knobs is really loose and kept adjusting itself and moving around which I then had to clamp some vise grips on it to keep it from moving, then after that the knob broke off. So I need to replace that as well and find out how to keep it from being so loose and moving around. It seems liek the black seals that are around the choke knob and fast mixture knob need to be replaced as well, since they are broken. Picture is attached.

Then this morning I seen that there was some thick oil on the ground under the motor. It appears that there is a small hole right above the prop that is leaking oil. How can I fix this leak? Can I use JB Weld or some like that? There is a pictures attached.

I also want a carb kit to rebuild the carb. Where is a good place to search for all of these parts?

Also I am just going by the seller that this is a 1982 10HP...I am not sure if that is true or not. Can anyone verify that for me? I was looking into it and it seems that 1982 had a 9.9 not a 10hp. It doesn't say anywhere on the case that it is a 10hp.

Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• OilLeak 002 Small.jpg
    OilLeak 002 Small.jpg
    53.9 KB · Views: 0
  • OilLeak 004 Small.jpg
    OilLeak 004 Small.jpg
    73.1 KB · Views: 0
  • Evinrude 009 Small.jpg
    Evinrude 009 Small.jpg
    92.3 KB · Views: 0

rabeck5792

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: Need help with a 1982 Evinrude 10HP that is having lots of problems

that is not an 82.looks like early 60's

jasper60103

Commander

First lets identify what you have. Do you see a tag anywhere around top of the clamps with a model number on it? We can identify the motor from the model number.

aaarneson

Petty Officer 2nd Class

The case says it is a SPORTWIN and I have a serial number as well, but I don't really see anything else.

aaarneson

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Here are a few pictures of the motor. This is also an extra long shaft...looks like someone put an extra section in to make it longer. Hopefully it will be easy to put back to normal.

Also, I bought this engine for 375.00. Did I get screwed or was it still a good deal even though I thought I was buying something else. The ad didn't say 1982, but I thought he did....maybe it was just a miscommunication.

Attachments

• MotorCase 001 Small.jpg
    MotorCase 001 Small.jpg
    68.8 KB · Views: 0
  • MotorCase 002 Small.jpg
    MotorCase 002 Small.jpg
    71.1 KB · Views: 0
  • MotorCase 003 Small.jpg
    MotorCase 003 Small.jpg
    89.5 KB · Views: 0

aaarneson

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Called Evinrude with the serial number and they said it was a 1963 10HP. I am guessing that the Sportwin is the model.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Has to be 1963 or earlier.

You are going to have a time converting from XL shaft to S or L.

aaarneson

Petty Officer 2nd Class

A friend of mine who works on boats, is saying it may be just a coupler that was added to make it an extra long...I think he is just being nice and trying to be optimistic for me.

Any clue on any other of the issues I am having. What about the black oil sludge that is leaking? Is there a way I can plug that up. The hole is about a millimeter wide and almost seems like a perfect circle so I was wondering if it is supposed to be there. My friend said it is a possibility that a there is a bad seal within the lowerend and oil is leaking down and then out that hole.

Let me know what you guys think.

CATransplant

Admiral

Yeah, that has the extension in there. Trouble is, that means it also has the longer driveshaft, shift rod extension, and water tube. If you could find a short shaft version that was junked, you could get the necessary parts from that.

That's not an extra long, though, I don't think. I think it's just one extension, which makes a long shaft. You could also just put an adapter on the transom to raise the whole engine up five inches. That'd be easier.

The black sludgy junk coming out of that tiny hole is normal. It's just sludge from inside the exhaust housing coming out of a hole that's designed to let it out. Nothing to worry about.

So, you have a 1963 10 hp outboard. They're actually pretty darned good little outboards. Is it running OK? If so, you paid about what they go for around here and around most places.

jasper60103

Commander

No, don't plug the hole. The sludge is normal for 2 stroke.
The hole is to allow any unburnt fuel to drain.

edit: looks like CAT beat me to it.

CATransplant

Admiral

Wait one. It's hard to tell from that photo of your outboard on the transom, but what is the distance from where the outboard clamps onto the transom to the bottom of the hull? How far below the bottom of the hull is the horizontal plate just above the prop?

As I said, it's hard to see the proportions in the photo, but if that's a 20" or 19" transom height, you have the right length on your outboard. If it's 15" or 16", then you'll need to either raise the mounting point or try to get the shorter components and shorten the outboard. Frankly, putting a bracket on the transom to raise the engine will be a lot easier and cheaper.

So, tell us more about your outboard, and how it runs, etc.

CATransplant

Admiral

Has to be 1963 or earlier.

You are going to have a time converting from XL shaft to S or L.

That's just one extension in there, JB, so it's just a longshaft. He should be able to use a bracket to raise the transom height. That's the easy way to deal with a longshaft of that era, and cheaper than trying to find the short shaft parts.

aaarneson

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Yeah, that has the extension in there. Trouble is, that means it also has the longer driveshaft, shift rod extension, and water tube. If you could find a short shaft version that was junked, you could get the necessary parts from that.

CAT
Could it be a possibility that a coupler was added, so the original driveshaft would still be being used? That would make things a little easier...but I guess I won't know unless I open her up a bit.

aaarneson

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Wait one. It's hard to tell from that photo of your outboard on the transom, but what is the distance from where the outboard clamps onto the transom to the bottom of the hull? How far below the bottom of the hull is the horizontal plate just above the prop?

As I said, it's hard to see the proportions in the photo, but if that's a 20" or 19" transom height, you have the right length on your outboard. If it's 15" or 16", then you'll need to either raise the mounting point or try to get the shorter components and shorten the outboard. Frankly, putting a bracket on the transom to raise the engine will be a lot easier and cheaper.

So, tell us more about your outboard, and how it runs, etc.
CAT

The transom height is 16" and the horizontal plate to the bottom of the transom/hull is 7".

CATransplant

Admiral

Nope, sorry. When you convert a short shaft to a long shaft, you have to use a long driveshaft, long water tube, and an longer coupler on the shift rod.

So, unless the old short parts are around, which is unlikely, it's not an easy conversion to go back to short shaft.

As I said, it's fairly easy to make a bracket that will raise the outboard up by the 5" you need, if your transom height is 15". Tashasdaddy can post photos of how he has done it. Some angle metal and some doubled up 3/4" plywood, along with some bolts and nuts and you're home free. That's the easy way to ddo it and lots lots cheaper.

EDIT: I see you did do the measurements. OK, you need to raise the outboard by 5 inches. It's easy. I don't have the photos of Tashasdaddy's method, but once you see it, you'll understand it instantly.

Also, is this outboard running?

CATransplant

Admiral

I've paged Tashasdaddy over to the thread. Next time he logs on, I'm sure he'll drop by and show you how to make the riser bracket for your outboard. He has it all worked out.

aaarneson

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Nope, sorry. When you convert a short shaft to a long shaft, you have to use a long driveshaft, long water tube, and an longer coupler on the shift rod.

So, unless the old short parts are around, which is unlikely, it's not an easy conversion to go back to short shaft.

As I said, it's fairly easy to make a bracket that will raise the outboard up by the 5" you need, if your transom height is 15". Tashasdaddy can post photos of how he has done it. Some angle metal and some doubled up 3/4" plywood, along with some bolts and nuts and you're home free. That's the easy way to ddo it and lots lots cheaper.

EDIT: I see you did do the measurements. OK, you need to raise the outboard by 5 inches. It's easy. I don't have the photos of Tashasdaddy's method, but once you see it, you'll understand it instantly.

Also, is this outboard running?

Yes the outboard is running. We took it out yesterday and it seemed pretty sluggish and not running really smoothly. But when we headed in and loaded her on the trailer we noticed that none of us opened up then ventilation on the fuel tank so I think the motor was fighting for fuel.

My friend bought a carb kit and a lower end seal kit. So I think we may get those in there sometime this weekend. He also bought some oil for the lower end. I figure those are all good things to replace when buying a used older motor like this.

Also yesterday we were having problems with the mixture know moving and adjusting itself which was making it run pretty bad. I hope there is a way I can find to make it not so loose and more secure with out aving to put a vise grip on it to stop it from moving around.

aaarneson

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I've paged Tashasdaddy over to the thread. Next time he logs on, I'm sure he'll drop by and show you how to make the riser bracket for your outboard. He has it all worked out.

Thanks CAT! :)

aaarneson

Petty Officer 2nd Class

CAT
What if I did't do anything with the transom or shaft length? What if I left it as is? What is wrong with it being long the way it is? Is it dangerous? Or just not efficient for the motor?

CATransplant

Admiral

You can do that, but the outboard won't be as efficient, and it'll stick down 5" further, and that can lead to unexpected bumps on rocks, etc. You might or might not also get a nice bunch of water trying to get in the back of your boat with the prop that deep. Your boat is fairly large, by the look of it, so you won't be planing with that 10 hp, anyhow, most likely. Most boats with a 20" transom cut down for a short shaft outboard won't plane with a 10 hp. You could run it deeper, I suppose, but for less than $10, you can raise it up and get the maximum possible performance from it.

NOTE: Someone will come here, no doubt, and tell you to raise the outboard even further. They're wrong. Those outboards are meant to run deeper than modern ones, and the 5" lift is correct.

The nice think about the bracket I'm talking about is that you can remove it at any time, if you get a short shaft outboard later on. There will be four holes in your transom, which are easy to seal up with some dowling and some paint.

It's worth the effort, I guarantee.