Summer Fun

Banned
Re: My Boat Was Stolen Yesterday!! Caught On Tape

I think someone on here owes Diesel an a apology !!. :eek:

diesel5599

Petty Officer 2nd Class

COME ON PEOPLE!!
do you actually believe this or feel sorry for the guy, there is not an insurance agency in the world that would give this guy a penny!!
watch the video the truck only had to back up 10' on what looks to be a 100' drive way!! no tongue or wheel locks & he just left the house, how ironic!! on his way he should of hooked up his boat & takin it to the theives house himself!!

Steve, not everyone needs bars on their windows and 10 locks on their doors. The only reason I even took the keys out of the boat usually was so that some kid didn't come by and get the bright idea of starting the boat without a hose hooked to it.

Yes it is a long driveway, and no I don't usually park the boat at the end, but when you spend 3hrs washing the boat, and its normal parking space is under 2 large trees, the last time I checked it wasn't a crime to park it somewhere not under the tree cover. Also, nothing in my ins policy stated I have to keep 4 sets of keys on my person just to take my boat out. In hindsight, yes it should have been locked, but that does not mean an unlocked boat should be an open invitation for theft.

Real estate is very limited around here, most people don't even have a driveway long enough for a boat and park it right in the street. But I guess to you that would mean they are giving away their boat. I specifically picked this house because its driveway was long enough to park a boat somewhere other than the street.

lprizman

Chief Petty Officer

man!!!!!!!!!catch these guys,,,we'll pick 'em up,,,and dispose of them the right way,,,after several days of pain,,,those motors are going to the bahamas/cuba,,,the boat will be found shortly in Mexican Governaeles hands adrift in the gulf unfortunatily.....I feel for you my friend,,best of luck!!!

spikeitaudi

Petty Officer 1st Class

COME ON PEOPLE!!
do you actually believe this or feel sorry for the guy, there is not an insurance agency in the world that would give this guy a penny!!
watch the video the truck only had to back up 10' on what looks to be a 100' drive way!! no tongue or wheel locks & he just left the house, how ironic!! on his way he should of hooked up his boat & takin it to the theives house himself!!

The guy got his boat stolen and you beat him down even more. Give him a break for crying out loud. Yes, he could have secured it better, but again it on his property. Just some lousy bums that get what coming if they get caught and then some.

Diesel, hope they find it your insurance makes you whole. Either way that is a very hard video to watch knowing your property was being taken by a cold hearted thief.

10thHawk

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Best of luck on getting your boat back or getting a new one. Sucks watching that happen. As for the low lives that took it, hope they get caught or end up as gator bait.

SangerTom

Seaman

That sucks. Got a question - you said a hitch lock and wheel lock. I see you didn't have a wheel lock but did you have a hitch lock?

diesel5599

Petty Officer 2nd Class

That sucks. Got a question - you said a hitch lock and wheel lock. I see you didn't have a wheel lock but did you have a hitch lock?

I have a hitch lock sitting in my garage from my last boat, but the tongue on this one was too big for the lock, it wouldn't slide over the end of the hitch. So no, at the time I had nothing at all.

Hitch locks are not very effective though, as some here mentioned, all you have to do is unbolt the hitch bolts and slide your own hitch on. You can damage the scews to make it impossible to take the hitch off, but I've had to replace a hitch before, so not being able to get my own hitch off would kind of suck.

I think wheel locks are much better, as long as they provide a way to prevent the wheel from being removed and replaced with one that does not have the lock on it. Chains are too easy to cut. Basically nothing will stop a determined thief, but I should have at least made it more difficult.

Jeep Man

Commander

Sorry to hear about your ride, and see it as well. I see we have some armchair CSI experts here ..........................and one obnoxious @#$%&*. The picture you have doesn't look any better blown up as the two pixels on the license plate won't magically give a clear image to be able to read it, except on TV.
When you get you boat back, or your insurance pays out, upgrade your camera. I have been installing cameras for 20 years and security systems for 30. Get yourself a camera with a manual zoom. It will give you better clarity at a distance. You can also get a license plate lens which gives you picture in picture technology whereby you have full view of the driveway as well as a focus on the plate as they enter the driveway. If you have a security system, you can have an exterior cord added, whereby you can run it through the trailer to detect trailer movement.

mlrman

Petty Officer 3rd Class

What sucks about this is that it will happen again. That's because there is a market for stolen boats. And stolen cars, motorcycles, atv's, etc. It's the ol' supply and demand thing.

If people would just not buy stolen items because "it's a good deal", there wouldn't be the demand. I know some people that I thought were good people, and next thing I know, they were telling me about this awesome deal they got on a stolen whatever. I was like WTF??

Just because you didn't steal it doesn't make it right to have it!

Sorry for your loss, man. I know the feeling. I had a motorcycle stolen right from my garage in broad daylight. Luckily, I live in a small town, and most criminals are idiots, and most idiots can't keep their mouth shut. It took a week, but I recovered my bike, and even got restitution after their arrests. Life ain't all bad...;)

soaringhiggy

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I believe that if they know it is stolen when they buy the item, they are guilty of a crime and can be prosecuted as well:)

scca vette

Petty Officer 1st Class

First off I would like to say that I am sorry that some dirt bag took your boat. I do not care where or how it was parked on YOUR property that does not give ANYBODY the right to take it.

Second I agree that you should go back and look prior to this day on the camera. The reason I say this is that it looks as if they knew it was sitting there and came to your house to get that boat. When they came to your driveway they did not drive by or slow down and look. They came to the end of the driveway and made the turn to back in as if they knew it was there and ready to take. I would also think they seem to know that nobody was home. They did not seem the least worried about getting busted as if they knew everybody was gone.

Let us know if you see anything that looks out of place in the video. I REALLY hope you catch them and they have to pay for this.

Good Luck!

642mx

Lieutenant Commander

It is a little humorous how many times I've been asked the repo question, since the thieves were so calm and took their time, but I have the title in hand, no chance it was a repo.

What if the repo guys had the wrong address or something? Its possible your boat got mistaken for another and they simply picked up the wrong boat.

In any event, I feel bummed for you. There is nothing worse than a thief!

MaddysDaddy

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Sorry but it looks like you missed a payment!! it looks like he checked the tags, then the motors, then after he removes the ladder he looks closly at the back of the boat boat. on my boat thats where the HIN number is. I think this boat was repoed!.........or stolen by repomen on there own time.

scca vette

Petty Officer 1st Class

Sorry but it looks like you missed a payment!! it looks like he checked the tags, then the motors, then after he removes the ladder he looks closly at the back of the boat boat. on my boat thats where the HIN number is. I think this boat was repoed!.........or stolen by repomen on there own time.

He said he has title in hand 0 owed on the boat! If this is the case then those repo guys have a LOT of explaining to do to somebodys lawyer!

Stachi

Lieutenant Commander

I believe that if they know it is stolen when they buy the item, they are guilty of a crime and can be prosecuted as well:)

the law is on the books... 'receiving stolen goods '

BeaufortTJustice

Petty Officer 1st Class

If the Tampa police have a good team they should be able to get a licence plate number off that truck.

Sorry, this touched a nerve...

Whether or not a license plate can be "enhanced" to the point of recognition has nothing to do with whether the officers are good or bad. It all comes down to the quality of the original recording. From the angle displayed on the youtube link, the image is already slightly pixelated. No matter what software or hardware you use to zoom in it will further pixelate. The enhancements done on TV shows such as CSI are pure fiction. If the original recording was a very high quality, dense image, then you may get some magnification on the image before pixelation. Again, the video on youtube link does not appear to be of that high of quality.

I am sorry for your loss and I do hope that you are made whole again, by either a fast recovery w/o damage, or a fair insurance settlement.

That being said...from someone who investigates these cases for a living...the chances of recovery are slim, and it has little to do with the quality of the officers that are investigating. It mostly comes down to luck...a friend or neighbor recognizes your boat somewhere...it is found in a suspicious location and police run the HIN through NCIC...someone is arrested in an unrelated crime and rats out this thief to get better treatment...the list goes on...all mostly unrelated to the officer's competence in investigating. The only advantage a truely experienced and competent investigator brings to the table is his connections...both with other area agencies and with intel sources, such as confidential informants and the like. Intel can be valuable in identifying organized theft rings.

I do not have hard stats at this time, but based on my experience, the recovery rate of boats is only about 1%-5% within 90 days, and it drops lower as the time the boat is gone increases. After a year, there is almost no chance. This mainly is due to the nature of the act...there is usually no witnesses, no evidence initially (boat, along with all fingerprints, dna, etc, is gone), and no leads. The real investigation usually does not begin until a recovery is made (boat can be processed for evidence within reason, property owner of recovery location can be questioned, the location can be monitored for future "dumps" of stolen boats, etc.).

I am not trying to be negative, but merely trying to be realistic. I really dread dealing with victims that have very unrealistic expectations of police based upon movies and TV shows. Shows like CSI and the like have made our job extremely frustrating at times because of these unrealistic expectations. The crime labs portrayed on CSI (assuming all the gadgets were actually real and available to purchase), in reality, would bankrupt the city or county that funded it.

In this case, the best bet initially is showing the video to as many people as possible in hopes of someone recognizing the vehicle. Posting on here was also a great idea.

I'll step down from the soapbox now...just venting a bit after working the past 36 hours straight on a bank robbery investigation...I wish I had the CSI cast here with their magic computer to solve it in 1 hour...

scca vette

Petty Officer 1st Class

Sorry, this touched a nerve...

Whether or not a license plate can be "enhanced" to the point of recognition has nothing to do with whether the officers are good or bad. It all comes down to the quality of the original recording. From the angle displayed on the youtube link, the image is already slightly pixelated. No matter what software or hardware you use to zoom in it will further pixelate. The enhancements done on TV shows such as CSI are pure fiction. If the original recording was a very high quality, dense image, then you may get some magnification on the image before pixelation. Again, the video on youtube link does not appear to be of that high of quality.

I am sorry for your loss and I do hope that you are made whole again, by either a fast recovery w/o damage, or a fair insurance settlement.

That being said...from someone who investigates these cases for a living...the chances of recovery are slim, and it has little to do with the quality of the officers that are investigating. It mostly comes down to luck...a friend or neighbor recognizes your boat somewhere...it is found in a suspicious location and police run the HIN through NCIC...someone is arrested in an unrelated crime and rats out this thief to get better treatment...the list goes on...all mostly unrelated to the officer's competence in investigating. The only advantage a truely experienced and competent investigator brings to the table is his connections...both with other area agencies and with intel sources, such as confidential informants and the like. Intel can be valuable in identifying organized theft rings.

I do not have hard stats at this time, but based on my experience, the recovery rate of boats is only about 1%-5% within 90 days, and it drops lower as the time the boat is gone increases. After a year, there is almost no chance. This mainly is due to the nature of the act...there is usually no witnesses, no evidence initially (boat, along with all fingerprints, dna, etc, is gone), and no leads. The real investigation usually does not begin until a recovery is made (boat can be processed for evidence within reason, property owner of recovery location can be questioned, the location can be monitored for future "dumps" of stolen boats, etc.).

I am not trying to be negative, but merely trying to be realistic. I really dread dealing with victims that have very unrealistic expectations of police based upon movies and TV shows. Shows like CSI and the like have made our job extremely frustrating at times because of these unrealistic expectations. The crime labs portrayed on CSI (assuming all the gadgets were actually real and available to purchase), in reality, would bankrupt the city or county that funded it.

In this case, the best bet initially is showing the video to as many people as possible in hopes of someone recognizing the vehicle. Posting on here was also a great idea.

I'll step down from the soapbox now...just venting a bit after working the past 36 hours straight on a bank robbery investigation...I wish I had the CSI cast here with their magic computer to solve it in 1 hour...

Look for the guy in the trailer park with the new Corvette! :D

Tonyr66

Cadet

Yep, that definetly gives me the ERKS!!, I really hope you get it back before they can do anything to it.
It for sure looked like a relatively professional job, they may have a chop shop within 5 miles of the area, that's how I found my two 75hp Mercury's that were stolen off the back of my pontoon boat's in Ft. Myers while they were being re-apolstered in 2004'. And the Police found a s--t load of other stolen motors right along with them, but no arrest's, I drove around for 3 or 4 hours and poked around a few old warehouses, when I looked in the windows of this one old building I seen about 2 dozen motors sitting on the concrete floor, and wa-la, there were my mercury's side by side with the cables all frieghed and mangled, instead of staking the place out, when I called the Police they went right over and swarmed the building, the crooks never showed up, and the abandoned building had an out of state owner. But, 30 days later I got my motors Back. After they comfired the cuts on my cables matched the cuts on cables connected to the motors, next time I'll keep the motor numbers on file.
Good Luck, I'm Pullin for ya.
Tony R.

iop

Petty Officer 2nd Class

"What are the chances of an average Joe's stolen boat being recovered? Las Vegas odds makers would take 10 to 1 odds against it according to Karlton Kilby, BoatU.S. Marine Insurance executive and president of the International Association of Marine Investigators (IAMI).

Notwithstanding the fortunate fate of McIntosh's Beneteau, sailboats have the lowest boat theft rate in the U.S. Based on a 10-year study of BoatU.S. Marine Insurance claim files, sailboats have a theft rate of 2.5 in 10,000, compared to 100 in 10,000 for personal watercraft. That said, determining how many boats are stolen each year is more art than science. The FBI has a database, but keeps the information away from the public. The U.S. Coast Guard doesn't have the manpower to keep theft statistics and states that don't require titling have trouble tracking stolen vessels."

WT# ??

10thHawk

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Have you considered sending the video to a local news station? Might be something they would consider airing. Somebody is bound to recognize that truck.

Status
Not open for further replies.