My Boat Was Stolen Yesterday!! Caught On Tape

Status
Not open for further replies.

diesel5599

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: My Boat Was Stolen Yesterday!! Caught On Tape

That really sucks bro... two things I noticed in the video.... one , park the boat closer to the camera next time ,easier to get faces and plate #'s ...two... do you trailer the boat with the engines down?, I hope so . If not your lower units and transom may have taken a beating...
Good luck getting it returned to you...and if you do , make sure you look at your skegs and the transom to see if any damage was done...Thank God it is insured....

That's the ironic part, this is the first time I have ever parked it that far down the driveway. I have a lot of trees, and within 20min the boat is covered in spots from the trees if I park it where I usually park it which is right beside the camera.

I had just spent 3hrs detailing the boat and wanted to take it out while it was so clean, so I left it out from under the trees for just one day.

And no, I never tow it with the engines down, because they are too close to the ground for comfort and to save the transom, so assuming I get it back, that's one more thing I will have to worry about from now on.

maxum2400sc

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I had a dump trailer stolen 2 years ago. I had a tongue lock on it however the tongue was bolted on. They tried to cut the lock but couldn?t so they unbolted the tongue, tossed it to the side and used their own. I bought a new trailer and put a lock on it too, but I also heated the bolts and mushroomed the ends with a hammer. Most boat trailers have bolted on tongues too. You may want to consider doing the same. It would take 2 mins to unbolt and bolt on a new tongue

Sixmark

Master Chief Petty Officer

You are the fourth person that I know in Florida that this has happened to, and the three others turned out to be bank screwups, They did repos on boats that were not delinquent, and one was a situation where they repo'd the wrong boat.

iop

Petty Officer 2nd Class

coupler lock??? There is one on mine at all times when not hooked up.

Summer Fun

Banned

That made me get cold sweats watching the video. :eek:.
That really sucks !!!. :mad:

QC

Supreme Mariner

2) Do not tell potential thieves so they are less likely to be more creative; such as wear masks, come at night, not clearly expose themselves, come from a blind angle and cover the camera, etc. Camera's are pretty easily defeated.
Makes sense. My thoughts come from a cheap bastuhd . . . me. My brother gave me a yard sign from the Alarm company he works for and I proudly display that without having the alarm :D

Go ahead and beat me up . . . 10 years under this plan and nothing, so I probably deserve it :rolleyes:

robbyr1

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Are those analog or digital cameras? If they are digital TPD can zoom them in and maybe get some info, analog, not so much. Good luck!

Alpheus

Lieutenant Commander

I see that kind of stuff all the time. They usually come after your 90 days late on your payments. I love watching those shows...

waterinthefuel

Commander

I see that kind of stuff all the time. They usually come after your 90 days late on your payments. I love watching those shows...

And those shows are fake. They are a "representation" of what really happened. They are all staged for the camera, sorry. Unfortunately this boat was stolen for real. I left a little comment.

skargo

Banned

Sleazebag sons of bitches :mad:

I am posting this on my facebook page, I have friends in the area.

I would send that video to your local news stations, I bet they would at least put it on their websites, and hopefully on TV.

Best of luck!

JimS123

Fleet Admiral

Our business association meets monthly and each meeting has guest speakers. Last year one meeting covered security and we actually had 6 speakers, from our town constable all the way up to the largest local security company.

Your theft was classic textbook. They cased you and were 100% prepared. An ADT sign on your property (whether you have the service or not), a chain from the coupler lock to a concrete block in the ground, and visible security cameras are the way to go.

freeisforme

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Those guys sure looked like a loss recovery team to me, I doubt a thief would have worried about the ladder or done a walk around to make sure all was OK, he'd have done that down the road a bit after he was out of sight. Who ever took that boat didn't care if they were seen or not.
Also, that's not some junky old tow vehicle they used, it was set up and read to tow a boat of that size, the hitch was correct, the wiring matched, etc.
If they were thieves they had already been there to check what they needed, if so check your past surveillance tapes, if not, they most likely were told all they needed to know by the bank.

Mistakes are made every day when it comes to recovery orders, the larger banks often send out wrong orders, misinformation and wrong serial numbers.
It looked to me like the guy walked around to the right rear where he could nonchalantly check the HIN number, then noticed the ladder. If he were a thief, I'd have expected him to just toss the ladder in the boat, but he took the time to put it carefully in the truck.

I worked doing loss recovery for 14 years, over that period I'd say I saw maybe 30 or so wrongful recovery orders issued. Some were flat out wrongly ordered repossessed by the bank, others were a matter of the order being already in process by the time the payment was made. Sometimes it was just a matter of someone mixing up files. We never knew any of that, all I knew is that I had a recovery order in hand. I did not work in FL, which if I recall, had some pretty strange recovery laws.

If it was financed, call the bank, let them know it was taken or stolen, make sure the police know if it was financed or owned outright, but I'm sure they already asked. Most recovery agents notify the local police before taking the vehicle, but it's not required and often not done since you never know who the owner is or knows.

If it was towed by mistake, then you may have some recourse against either the bank that gave the order or the recovery company if they were the one's that erred.

If it was a flat out theft, and they were that prepared, then that boat is most likely either out of the country, or stripped and dumped by now.
Did you have the motor serial numbers written down? The same for any electronics onboard. Most likely it's no longer in FL.

diesel5599

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Are those analog or digital cameras? If they are digital TPD can zoom them in and maybe get some info, analog, not so much. Good luck!

So far no such luck, times like these you realize how far off CSI really is. TPD seems to have a single auto theft detective, he's out on sick leave or something, and the deputy that did come by said they don't have anything to improve the video with.

I tried downloading about 10 different video editing programs and improving it myself but they were all worthless. I did send my insurance company the video because I figure they have as much of a vested interest in recovering the boat as I do, maybe they will pay to have someone sharpen the video using the Hollywood quality video software. I noticed in my insurance policy it covers $2500.00 worth of investigative fees.

It is a little humorous how many times I've been asked the repo question, since the thieves were so calm and took their time, but I have the title in hand, no chance it was a repo.

oldjeep

Admiral

Also, that's not some junky old tow vehicle they used, it was set up and read to tow a boat of that size, the hitch was correct, the wiring matched, etc.

Everyone and their pet monkey drives a truck that size around here. Doesn't take anything more than a 1/2 ton with the factory hitch and wiring to pull a boat that size.

Hopefully they catch the guys, but even if they do - I suspect that you'll be looking at an insurance payout.

180shabah

Rear Admiral

WOW! I don't even know what to say...

...just glad you had ins...

diesel5599

Petty Officer 2nd Class

If it was a flat out theft, and they were that prepared, then that boat is most likely either out of the country, or stripped and dumped by now.
Did you have the motor serial numbers written down? The same for any electronics onboard. Most likely it's no longer in FL.

The guy I got it from had paid it off over 2yrs prior to my purchase from him, and a bank was never involved when I bought the boat from him. He had a clear title, and I've always had a clear title.

I do have the serial numbers for the electronics package and the motors since they were still under warranty. I do agree the boat is probably already on a bigger boat headed to some overseas destination. These guys were just too professional for this to be their first time.

They hitched up my boat and aligned the truck with the trailer in less time than it even takes me and I own(ed?) the boat.

robert graham

Admiral

It would be a pleasure to de-nut those 2 thieving scum.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

COME ON PEOPLE!!
do you actually believe this or feel sorry for the guy, there is not an insurance agency in the world that would give this guy a penny!!
watch the video the truck only had to back up 10' on what looks to be a 100' drive way!! no tongue or wheel locks & he just left the house, how ironic!! on his way he should of hooked up his boat & takin it to the theives house himself!!

You have no idea of what different neighborhoods are all about. There are many places here in VT, NH, Maine and Northern NY where people do not even know where their front door keys are....... the car keys stay in the car.

Please do not be judgmental........ the boat is gone.

Beefer

Lieutenant Commander

Hey diesel, that completely and utterly sucks! :mad: I really hope TPD works with Pinellas on this as well.

Can you post any pics of the boat from the front or sides? I'll be out in the ICW, Gulf out of Clearwater or going down to Tampa Bay by the Skyway almost all day tomorrow. I know it's a snowball's chance, but ya never know. I doubt the reg numbers would be the same. Did you have a name on the boat? I will be keeping an eye out tomorrow for you.

You should also post this on http://forums.floridasportsman.com/ Most of the guys on there are from our area, and they're out all the time as well.

And Steve, not everyone lives in the ghetto........:rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.