My boat accident

CheapboatKev

Vice Admiral
Re: My boat accident

I know I'm late to this party, but HOLY COW, CBK! I'll bet your still shuddering bad thinking what if that boat went left! How did the boat get off the trailer? Did the bow and transom eyes tear out?

The bow strap was attached, but seperated at the bow eye..
I didn't have the transom eyes strapped to the trailer, but did have a strap across the stern that was as tight as I could have strapped her..

And ya..I still picture her doing this on the fwy (5 min earlier) or if it went left into traffic....

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Ok, time to answer what we're all wondering.... Obviously whatever damage was done to the boat was from the boat crashing through or past the bow stop. So just how bad is it?

Bet you'll get some boat buckles now!

Bwana Don

Lieutenant Commander

Ya, what's the damage? Are you scared to say, is it bad?

CheapboatKev

Vice Admiral

Ok, time to answer what we're all wondering.... Obviously whatever damage was done to the boat was from the boat crashing through or past the bow stop. So just how bad is it?

Bet you'll get some boat buckles now!

Ya, what's the damage? Are you scared to say, is it bad?

How big do you think his safety chains will be?

Took pics tonight..
Having an issue with my bluetooth connection to my laptop..
But for a short list..

Port stern cap rail squashed about 3 inches long & end cap in that corner (that soo many are missing) ripped off

a good 15 inch crease in the upper V of the hull..this is where the bow winch did his dirty work..

Walk through window broke off the hinges..

Battery ripped out..with wiring and pos-neg cables

Alim trim rail on starboard side popped off..

Numerous scuffs...scrapes and easy fixes..

Will try to get pics up with my other phone soon..

fshngho

Lieutenant

It puts a whole new meaning to "Launching" a boat, don't it? Your'e gonna smile everytime someone asks you if you need help launching your boat. I was explaining to my wife ( who is learning to back up a boat trailer:eek:) that the boat came off the trailer after you came off the ramp at 40 mph.... WHY or HOW did he do 40 on a boat ramp she asked, no wonder that happened. I mean a highway ramp honey.:rolleyes:
Sorry it happened, but thanks for the laughs.
Dale

DianneB

Petty Officer 1st Class

What came apart Kev?

A number of years ago I was hauling some very valuable (irreplaceable) antique machinery on a 21 foot 5,000 pound flat deck behind my camperized school bus. I ALWAYS check the lock-up a couple of times and everything seemed right until about 10 miles out I turned from a minor highway to a major route and something just didn't "feel right". As soon as I took my foot off the gas to pull on to the shoulder, I heard scraping.

The 2-5/16 coupler had come off the ball (I have no idea HOW unless it was never fully on!) and the tongue was hanging in the crossed safety chains. The 5/16 Transport 70 chains were worn about 1/2 way through but had kept the trailer tracking straight and true behind the bus. The chains were BOLTED through the trailer frame.

My new boat trailer has a couple of over-long steel cables for "safety chains" with crimp ends. In light of Kev's experience, those are going into the trash and will be replaced by good quality chains of the proper length securely bolted to the tongue!

dozerII

Admiral

Hey CBK, that's terrible you have one nice looking boat to have that happen to. Thank god no one was hurt, and the damage to the boat is minimal. I quess this give new meaning to the term "PREMATURE LAUNCH"
Glen

cribber

Lieutenant

Glad you're okay and bet that was scary!!! Think you'll have her put back together by 4/26? Good luck with the repairs!!!

CheapboatKev

Vice Admiral

Damage assesment pics

PIC-0521.jpg

PIC-0520.jpg

PIC-0518.jpg

PIC-0522.jpg

All in all..maybe not sooooo bad..My worse fear is the alignment of the motor/input shaft to the OD..may have been tweaked by impact..
Also..the 70lb battery ripped loose..and all the wiring and connections went with it..this just AFTER my buddy and I got some wiring issues resolved!

I moved her to the backyard for now, well it was 1am when I made it home and just was exhausted too..So I can sit here, have a beer and get my game plan together..

PIC-0523.jpg

SBTOM

Petty Officer 1st Class

Ohhh man, that is bummer, sorry to hear about this! Its amazing that your boat is still in one peice, let alone still in really good condition. You must have racked up some good karma or something along the way! In that one photo is looks like you got tired of seafood and started fishing for cows in stead. Good luck getting her back together.

nlain

Commander

That is some tough paint he put on there too, dented and scuffed but did not come off.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

You lucked out big time on this. I was expecting the "crease" to be MUCH MUCH worse. That's pretty much nothing. This should fortunately not slow down your record-breakingly slow restoration project :p

CheapboatKev

Vice Admiral

Ohhh man, that is bummer, sorry to hear about this! Its amazing that your boat is still in one peice, let alone still in really good condition. You must have racked up some good karma or something along the way! In that one photo is looks like you got tired of seafood and started fishing for cows in stead. Good luck getting her back together.

Ya..coulda been really bad...maybe good BOATMA ?

That is some tough paint he put on there too, dented and scuffed but did not come off.

Tell ya Nlain..I was surprised how well that 3 coats of Rustoleum held up!

You lucked out big time on this. I was expecting the "crease" to be MUCH MUCH worse. That's pretty much nothing. This should fortunately not slow down your record-breakingly slow restoration project :p

The crease really bugs me actually..like a supermodel with a hairy mole...
No, I wont let this stand in the way of me staring at her for a week straight..

QC

Supreme Mariner

1st . . . Wow!! Could have been way worse. My wife has had a wayward tire crash into her and she's lucky to be alive. Annnnnnnddd I watched a trailer tire of mine pass me (on the left) last summer and miss everything/everybody . . . :eek:

16c9bhl.jpg

Popped of ball..

How?

Pugetsound

Lieutenant Commander

Kev. I was looking for parts for my 16 S/S on ebay and came across a add for Starcraft parts it had corners molding and other Deck items I will try to find it but you may find it it was back east Ii think. Doesn't look to bad. The dents, if you can flatten them out , then what would you use on the aluminum hull as a filler?

Pugetsound

Lieutenant Commander

You need to soak in that pool for awhile and take time to locate parts. I suppose the rubrail went with the topp rail thats missing. Were you able to retrievre the removed items from the field?

CheapboatKev

Vice Admiral

You need to soak in that pool for awhile and take time to locate parts. I suppose the rubrail went with the topp rail thats missing. Were you able to retrievre the removed items from the field?

Yep, I got the cap and all parts from the field..only thing left behind was my pride..and a few hundred dollar$

CheapboatKev

Vice Admiral

1st . . . Wow!! Could have been way worse. My wife has had a wayward tire crash into her and she's lucky to be alive. Annnnnnnddd I watched a trailer tire of mine pass me (on the left) last summer and miss everything/everybody . . . :eek:

wow....Thank God she was OK..I have had a few really bad nightmares since this happened with the boat going left, into oncoming traffic

How?

That Kevin is the billion dollar question...either it wasnt locked, or was sitting on the ball...or I have a bad lock...I do know that I will not tow her again without fixing replacing it..I also think I will also padlock the ball hitch lock in the future as well while towing