My 1968 Glastron GT160 rebuild......

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Looks great! Do you leave the Piping foot on to do the pleats??

Last edited:

Corjen1

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Looks great! Do you leave the Piping foot on to do the pleats??

Not for the pleats, But I use it any time piping is involved....weather making it or attaching it to something. Almost my favorite foot....

Corjen1

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Upholstery kicked my but today....thought I was about done at lunch time, I laid the two bow seat top plates together and started admiring my work...then I saw it...what in the holy h@#$ is that???? what in the bleep bleep happened here....! how in the @#$ &^%$#, ^&%$#^& did that happen!!!!!!!!!

Some how I managed to get one of them almost 2 inches longer than the other......How this happened I dont know....all pieces were cut from the same template.

Fortunately the shorter one is the correct size......took the longer one apart, removed the appropriate amounts, and recut a new piece for the blue banding and rebuilt the top plate...

All back together ....lengths are pretty close and the pleats line up relatively well. Inside corners are kicking my butt as well....ended up with puckering.....Iam pretty sure I will be able to get it out with a heat gun during stretching.

Still some work to be done to get them to match....

Last edited:

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
If I might make a suggestion on the inside corners...I'd seam rip em out (once you take a break) and then Staple them in place to ensure they STAY aligned during sewing. That should help with the puckering problems. Also you want to kinda pull/gather the material into the corner to ensure you have enuf and it's not STRETCHING around the bend. Hope that makes sense.:rolleyes:

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
Welp it/s a lot easier to take some off than to add some on I always say .. You got this ! Looking great !

Corjen1

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Well after yesterdays butt kicking, I decided I needed to practice some more with inside corners. And since Im out of the blue material now, I decided to make a new seat cushion for my sewing chair out of the scraps I have been hanging on to. It needs a bit thicker foam, but came out good I think.

WoG, I tried doing what you said....not sure if this is what you meant, but I pushed extra material into the apex of the corner. Seemed to work pretty good.

My own lil "Vanna White".....

Have a great evening....

Last edited:

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Yup, that's what I meant! They look LOT'S MO BETTA!!!!! Man oh Man, I keep forgettin how GOOD LOOKIN that Morse Machine is!!!!!:eek::D

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
A chair with racing stripes will make ya sew faster ...
Now your little girl can tell everyone at school that her daddy taught her how to sew ! :D
As fast as your putting this stuff out you don't have her on the production line do ya ? There are child labor laws ya know .. :watermelon:

Corjen1

Lieutenant Junior Grade
A chair with racing stripes will make ya sew faster ...
Now your little girl can tell everyone at school that her daddy taught her how to sew ! :D
As fast as your putting this stuff out you don't have her on the production line do ya ? There are child labor laws ya know .. :watermelon:

Sam, I can barley get them to pick up their pig pen rooms......NO labor laws broken here!!!! Im on holidays till the 5th.....Out of material and $$$$ Things will be definitely slowing down!!! :eek:

Corjen1

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Random thoughts....I see people talking about bilge pumps a lot. Why are the important? I see some that are a pure on/off, some with auto on/w/float...None of the boats Ive had, have had one. for me and my boat experience; at the end of the day, you pull the drain plug and let it drain what ever water got in the boat. Whay do I need one? what is the benefit?

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Since you have such a small bilge and your boat is a "Trailer Queen" I'd say NO! Others may disagree. You can pull the plug in you're bilge when you're on plane and the bilge will drain all by itself. If you had a catastrophic event, I don't think the kind of bilge pump you're talking about would save you're boat, especially if you're motor had stopped running and you were dead in the water. It WOULD help in the event of a Dead Motor and a Slow Leak so If you want to be Ultra Safe then I suppose you could install one. I've owned 5 boats in 40 years. All of em under 20 ft. Only One of em ever had a bilge pump and to the best of my knowledge it NEVER came on one time. Again just an Old Dumb Okie stating his opinion.:eek::D;)

archbuilder

Vice Admiral
Top few of Archbuilder reasons for a bilge pump.
  1. Your in Kansas, so there is no water to worry about :D
  2. Lets say you are in OK, at Eufaula......I went to bed one night.....nice and clear, woke up to 7" of rain, that is a lot of water in a boat! And why I have an auto bilge with a manual override! Also welcome to normal OK weather, lol!!
  3. Lets say you are at Eufaula with an inboard....and the freeze plug is leaking water.....but you don't realize it:eek:.....and when you do, you have a foot of water in the engine compartment and you are about 2 miles from shore:eek::eek: That is when I put the auto bilge in the searay! Had to clean my pants that day, lol!
  4. You have an Okie State fan in the boat...they make a mess, easier clean up! Just hose down the deck and pump out the mess!
  5. Heaven forbid, you hit a rock or something that punctures the hull, buys you time to get back to shore. I have seen a tree stump sink a boat....twice!
That being said, most of the time you can get up on plane and pull the plug anyway. I have done that trick before too. For the most part its a nice to have, but every once in a while it falls into the "glad I had it" category!

Last edited:

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
After some debate with Lisa and Kelly we chose to go ahead and install a pump ... They like to camp at the lake that they go to so the thought of waking in the morning after a typical Fl rain storm made the choice easy ... Pulling the plug while on plane works good but it helps to have an extra hand on deck . If its hard to reach doing by yourself is not so easy ... That being said , I don't have one installed on my MFG .....

nurseman

Lieutenant Junior Grade
I am planning on putting one in my boat, because I just want the extra security. I probably don't really need it, but what the heck.

Tnstratofam

Commander
We went to an unfamiliar ramp this summer. Got in a bit of a hurry launching. Left my beautiful Admiral patiently waiting in the boat while I parked the truck, and trailer. As I am walking back down towards the dock I notice that the boat is sitting at an odd angle. About 10 feet from the boat it hits me like a ton of bricks. I left the drain plug out:facepalm:. I go running into the water grabbing the drain plug as I pass by my puzzled looking Admiral, and install said plug after the bilge had filled with water. By the time all of this had elapsed my bilge pump had automatically come on, and started to pump out all that water. It ran for a good 4 minutes or so. It amazed me how much water came out. Now I'm in a no wake zone, and I'm not sure I could have started my boat and gotten on plane in enough time at this particular dock to have emptied my bilge without the pump. I learned a few valuable lessons that day. 1 Don't be in to big of a hurry. 2 Don't forget the plug!!! 3 I like having my bilge pump, and I'll make sure I have one in any boat I can't drag onto shore by myself. Just my 1 and 1/2 cents.

The boat in question was the Starcraft in my sig pic. She is light by comparison to my 20 foot Stratos. I don't know how much water a boat that heavy would have taken on in that same scenario. I don't want to find out either.

Last edited: