My 1968 Glastron GT160 rebuild......

Corjen1

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Thanks All.... here are a couple more done..

Putting the piping on the pleats for the first bow seat...

Cutting reliefs for the corner...so the piping will stretch around and not bunch/pucker up

pix for reference....

Merry Christmas All!!!! I hope you have a very cozy day filled with Friends and Family!!!

Tnstratofam

Commander
Nice looking work as usual. I think the blues will match up just fine. Can't wait to see more. You and wog are becoming quite the interior gurus. Keep it up. Merry Christmas from Tennessee. Hope you all have a safe and happy one.

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
The old blue Morse looks like shes humming along nicely ! Well done !
Merry Christmas !!!

tpenfield

Staff member
Corjen-

Enjoying your work. You definitely have a knack for upholstering. Probably will be better than new. :thumb:

nurseman

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Work is looking sweet! Merry Christmas to you and your family!

Luke000

Restoration Forum Splash of the Year 2016
Corjen1, this is an awesome boat! I really like the work you are doing for the upholstery, I wish I had the ability/equipment to do that for my project. But I don't so I am going to have my seats done. What is the blue textured vinyl you are using for your seats? I want to do a section of mine with a similar texture only black. The original seats had a really cool black textured part but I cant seem to find a replacement vinyl.

Corjen1

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Corjen1, this is an awesome boat! I really like the work you are doing for the upholstery, I wish I had the ability/equipment to do that for my project. But I don't so I am going to have my seats done. What is the blue textured vinyl you are using for your seats? I want to do a section of mine with a similar texture only black. The original seats had a really cool black textured part but I cant seem to find a replacement vinyl.

Sent you a pm with the link....

Corjen1

Lieutenant Junior Grade
A bit more upholstery today...this proved to be a lot harder than I expected...same principles as the other stuff, but a lot more material to wrestle around.

Ran out of piping......these pieces need 140 inches to go around the perimeter. I spose I could have made it with two seams......but only wanted 1....time to cut ribbons!!

this one just need boxing.

Last edited:

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
How wide are ya cutting the ribbon ? And what ya using for cord ?

Corjen1

Lieutenant Junior Grade
How wide are ya cutting the ribbon ? And what ya using for cord ?

Hey Sam, I cut it 1 1/4 inch wide, use 1/8 spline for screens. it gives 5/8 inch wide welting/piping.

I got this piping foot that is amazing for making piping....its almost fool proof. It has groves in it to guide the cording and the hole for the needle locates the stitch perfectly.

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
Ive used the screen spline before also . Normally your supposed to leave the cord a little loose as to hide the thread when you sew it together but I found the little ridges on the spline make it hard sometimes to slide up tight on the final seam . If that makes sense .. It gets stuck on the vinyl every so often . I was rummaging around in the garage the other day and I have a roll of hard plastic weed eater string that looks like a perfect size for piping . I think I'm gunna give that a try on the girls seat covers . Should work great I'm thinking ...

Tnstratofam

Commander
Ive used the screen spline before also . Normally your supposed to leave the cord a little loose as to hide the thread when you sew it together but I found the little ridges on the spline make it hard sometimes to slide up tight on the final seam . If that makes sense .. It gets stuck on the vinyl every so often . I was rummaging around in the garage the other day and I have a roll of hard plastic weed eater string that looks like a perfect size for piping . I think I'm gunna give that a try on the girls seat covers . Should work great I'm thinking ...

Would the weed eater string get brittle after prolonged use in the sun? I know its wrapped in the vynl, but for the girls boat in the Florida heat or for anyone in a hotter climate would it hold up okay?

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
I think it would hold up .. Its for my Dr Trimmer Mower and holds up to all the rpm's and abuse of trimming heavy weeds .. I have pulled cording out of old seats that looks like cheap hollow plastic tubing ...

Tnstratofam

Commander
That type of string is definitely strong. I was curious because the cheap string I use seems like it would break after a while from being sat on or slid across repeatedly.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
You can get 500 yds of 5/32" PVC welt cording on eBay for $30 bucks. I know that sounds like a lot but you'd be surprised how fast it gets used up. I use the screen cord a lot and it works wel, it's cheap and easy to get at all the Big Box Stores. I also use nylon braided parachute cording cuz I can get it locally too!!

Last edited:

Corjen1

Lieutenant Junior Grade
I think the goal is to have something that maintains a uniform shape, bends around corners easily and wont rot....I would guess most anything that fits the bill would work just fine. I like the screen spline because it bends nicely and holds its shape.

Corjen1

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Just some more upholstery today.... 80 inches worth of pleats. On a good note, there is football on TV today!!