Motor not charging battery...

TonyNoriega

Petty Officer 2nd Class
On my 2001 Yamaha 200hpdi it appears that I'm not getting any power back to the main marine starting battery. I just tested the voltage across the battery with the motor running from idle to about 1700rpm and the reading never went over 12 volts.

Can some of you seasoned guys tell me where to start first? Is there a way to test the voltage coming out of the regulator and/or stator? Is there a way to isolate the defective part?

Thanks!

Asainz320

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Motor not charging battery...

Mine is almost the same. The only way i can get it up to like around 13 volts its by reving up the engine. What can we do?

Barnacle_Bill

Admiral

On my 2001 Yamaha 200hpdi it appears that I'm not getting any power back to the main marine starting battery. I just tested the voltage across the battery with the motor running from idle to about 1700rpm and the reading never went over 12 volts.

Can some of you seasoned guys tell me where to start first? Is there a way to test the voltage coming out of the regulator and/or stator? Is there a way to isolate the defective part?

Thanks!

I don't have any Yamaha manuals but I'm sure they are basically like the rest. You have already verified the output isn't right so that leaves the rectifier/regulator or stator. Both these can be tested according to your manual. Most of the time its the rectifier. If you ever connected the battery up backwards then it is toast for sure.

Laram51

Petty Officer 3rd Class

At trolling speed the meter reads 13.4 volts consistently.. yamaha 225..dont have the answer to the problem , just my two cents.

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

on the stbd side of the power head there is a fuse panel, check the 80 amp fuses.
do you have a service manual for this engine ?

TonyNoriega

Petty Officer 2nd Class

on the stbd side of the power head there is a fuse panel, check the 80 amp fuses.
do you have a service manual for this engine ?

I did check the fuses - even the smaller ones - and they are good. In fact I recently replaced the main engine fuse because I discovered it was blown....I also replaced the defective ignition switch on the console that had been trying to stick in the 'start' position for 4 trips.

RODBOLT, I have a CD version Yamaha manual which I consulted but couldn't find where it describes a test procedure for the regulator/rectifier. Since it's a 225 dollar part I want to be sure that it is the culprit before ordering it.

Thanks for your help!

Tony

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

remove the plastic cover on the stbd side to access the green wires running to the rectifier/regulator.
its a 3 phase AC altenator set up. check for any shorts to ground between the green stator wires and ground, then test each green wire to the other,the resistance spec is in your manual.
also check the regulator ground leads. test altenator output voltage at the main fuse to eliminate hull wiring.
you can also test the isolator lead if its not being used.
most are not and most techs seem to forget its there.