if $ was not an issue what motor would you buy and why

miloman

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: if $ was not an issue what motor would you buy and why

i now am thinking money no object Id also add the American scnryo team with a 51% controlling interest in bombardier there fore I can get what ever the heck I want all in the comfort of my home being fed grapes and now oranges

Fishbusters

Ensign

Honda 4 stroke because they are good clean running engines. I do care about the environment and if you look most nature nuts with boats and TV shows use and would give a personal recommendation on them as far as reliability and pollution control. If you don't believe me ask Steve Irwin.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

For my Whaler Montauk, I would buy the engine I have, a Suzuki DF70 EFI 4 stroke.<br /><br />Why? Because it exceeds my expectations in every category: ease of operation, instant starting, smooth as an electric, quicker and faster than a 70 is supposed to be, trouble free (so far), quiet and economical.<br /><br />I have had numerous OMCs in my many years and loved them all, but this engine is by far the best outboard I have ever owned.

ob

Admiral

Hey JB , what year model is that Suzuki efi 70?It must be a great engine or you wouldn't talk so much about it.Wondering whether the latest models of that motor are identical.Also what is the weight diference in it verses a 1995 70 hp 2 stroke Rude?

CalicoKid

Lieutenant Commander

Kend20gw, you're my man! I'd own twin Hydrogen fuelcell 300hps, ultra high torque and no sound but the wind and waves.<br /><br />Or a Honda..

Trevor

Petty Officer 3rd Class

HONDA one word says it all

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Hi, OB.<br /><br />I guess I'm sort of a disciple for that engine. :) <br /><br />It is a 2001. I don't know of any changes in the later ones. <br /><br />I have heard that a few broke the end off the cam, where the oil pump drive is, and had to get new powerheads, they might have made a change to eliminate that rare problem.<br /><br />The OMC 70 2 stroke triple looper with T&T should weigh about 270lb (250 without), my Suzi weighs 337 with T&T.

ob

Admiral

Thanks for the feedback JB.Looks like around 60lb difference.Contemplating keeping boat but in the future upgrade to newer motor.Have a 15ft dauntless whaler and will do some research as to recommended motor weight limits.Rig tops out with 75hp and has a taller transom than the 15 sport model I had before getting this one.<br /> What is the WOT operating range of the suzuki?

Waterbugtoo

Petty Officer 1st Class

General Electric F110......with full afterburner of course! 23,830 pounds of thrust should be sufficient to get from fishin hole to fishin hole in decent amount of time.

rickdb1boat

Supreme Mariner

OB, should be 5200-5800 WOT on the Suzuki. Maybe in a year or two, I will consider doing the same thing. I just hate to get rid of my old reliable Rude!!

ob

Admiral

Same here Rick. I'm going to wait until mines on its last leg since you can't hardly get much for them anyway.I don't think i'll ever wear the boat out.Thanks for the rpm data.

Jack Shellac

Lieutenant Commander

Yamaha HPDI for performance, reliability and longevity.

miloman

Lieutenant Junior Grade

seems everone has an opinion although I dont recall anyone wanting a mercury how come

12Footer

Fleet Admiral

I don't know. It depends on the hull I would purchase first.<br />I mean, the old 12Footer (1953 Lonestar) will receive a Honda 10HP.<br />But my Bayliner Crapi would be given to someone in need of a hull. I like it enough, but am constantly dissapointed with it's construction.<br />If money were of no issue, I'd get that old PennYan hull I was given,drag that big mofo home, and set to werk. <br />But Honda makes the best outboards next to Yamaha.<br />This comment comes from searches made here on iboats under those two names. Honda,tho admittedly a smaller base share of the market, therfore, rarer engine, is hardly brought to the forum with a problem!<br />Yamahas are everywhere, so perhaps it's apples/oranges... But there are still a disprortionate amount of posts regarding Yamaha hastles ,that can't be 'splained-away by market share.<br />All that to say, my pick would be Honda.

Forktail

Ensign

12Footer, what Penn Yan do you have? Those are quite a boat! I bought one of their little tri-halls when I was a kid and later owned a 23 and 26 tunnel. Fabulous.