Monaco Project - QC

75TowerOfPower

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Monaco Project - QC

Why not just use make a strap or use one intended for a car gas tank to hold down the rear of the tank if you think it will lift up. It shouldn't lift up but I would still want it secure.

vegasphotoman

Lieutenant

Hey QC that babys lookin great keep flippin plugging away! she'll be done soon enough.... with all the boats you own must be a job upkeeping all of em...

Hey whats the 23ft daycruiser? is it a sleek? :p

rock on with the Monoco! :D:D:D

QC

Supreme Mariner

Hey, I have a hit on my project? Wow! . . . Oh wait, it's just Vegas digging up a bone :p

But . . . I actually have updates.

I completed stripping the deck and have started to install the Mahogany. First I needed to patch some damage done while peeling the old stuff off:

attachment.php

I'm starting with what are called covering boards which basically ring the entire hull on the outside. This style joint is typical of classic mahogany boats:

attachment.php

This is my redneck clamping system. Epoxy for adhesive:

attachment.php

I am about 60% done with the covering boards on both sides. A little slow as I only have enough of my clamping system for about a three foot section at a time:

attachment.php

And here's a pic of the main squeeze for Vegas. I call her a Day Cruiser as bowrider doesn't seem to do her justice. This pic is 2007ish:

attachment.php

Attachments

• 100_4716 resize.JPG
    100_4716 resize.JPG
    99.3 KB · Views: 0
  • 100_4831 resize.JPG
    100_4831 resize.JPG
    73.2 KB · Views: 0
  • 100_4945 resize.JPG
    100_4945 resize.JPG
    116.9 KB · Views: 0
  • 100_5098 resize.JPG
    100_5098 resize.JPG
    87.3 KB · Views: 0
  • 000_0365 Cropped neg fixed compressed.JPG
    000_0365 Cropped neg fixed compressed.JPG
    54 KB · Views: 0

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

I think a proper redneck clamping method would have been to have the wife and kids sit on the wood until it was dried :D I think the method you used is true iboats resto style ;) making good use of what was available.

vegasphotoman

Lieutenant

Nice wow that wood is looking sweet....ought to be bad***** when you get it sanded..and amazing once its cleared or varnished or oiled whatever...wow

and Holy smokes! that's some daycruiser! and heck I bet you prolly use that during the "day" mostly anyways LOL :D thanks for the post!

BobsGlasstream

Commander

QC,
That is a good name for the main squeeze. Extremely nice boat.
The work on the project boat is top notch too. Sorry about the paint problem but I'm sure you will get it straightened out. The rest of the paint looks awesome.
Great Job.
Take care.
Bob

vegasphotoman

Lieutenant

Im sure you've been busy with "THE MAIN SQUEEZE" alot this summer....but.... I know you've made some time for Miss Monaco.........so stop looking at youtube vids uploaded by vegasphotoman :eek: and post your progress pics! :D :D :D

QC

Supreme Mariner

Thanks for bumping this up Vegas :)

We've been on Havasu quite a bit. Work and typical personal stuff has been in the way of working on the Monaco. Kids sports, friend lost her house and we have temporarily moved her and a son into our house (oh, please be temporary), but I am making some progress. I am not at home now (work travel), but I have finished the covering boards up to the bow, and have laid out the deck planking in what's called a "book matched" fashion. I'll explain that when I post those pics. I am out of town so all I have are the finished bow section. I am about to trim the inside of the covering boards and then I'll be laying down the deck planking.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• 100_5112 resize.JPG
    100_5112 resize.JPG
    70.8 KB · Views: 0
  • 100_5114 resize.JPG
    100_5114 resize.JPG
    78 KB · Views: 0
  • 100_5115 resize.JPG
    100_5115 resize.JPG
    71.5 KB · Views: 0

mtore

Cadet

Hey QC. If you have a sewing machine, you can make up some bags out of old canvas and fill with sand. This makes a great weight for clamping the deck boards. This distributes the weight evenly and you can make them as large as you want.
BTW, I'm watching your progress & it looks great!
From Mike the X owner.

QC

Supreme Mariner

Hey Mike!! Cool that you replied here. Yes, some progress, but embarrassingly behind. I have a question on the tranny if you are still monitoring. May send you an email . . .

OK, update time. The latest:

So I figured out a way to route the inside contour of the covering boards. I bought a 4 x 8 sheet of plywood, I laid it over the bow section to one side, drew a line following the hull outline from the bottom, trimmed the sheet to that shape and then used it placed further inboard on the hull as my router guide. I need same plywood for seats so I will use what's left on that part. Of course I was able to integrate my high tech, non-invasive clamping system :rolleyes: and all I had to do is flip it over for the other side.

attachment.php

If you were really green and stupid you might bump into the weights when routing and have an ugly wiggle, and then you might end up with narrower covering boards than you planned originally, but of course only an idiot would do that . . . :eek:

After wiggle and guide removal:

attachment.php

Then I was left to trim off the remaining mahogany:

attachment.php

I stopped short at the critical bow "V" and finished that with a small circular saw (love this thing!) and the chisel as well:

attachment.php

Next post . . .

Attachments

• 100_5141 resize.JPG
    100_5141 resize.JPG
    114.7 KB · Views: 0
  • 100_5153 resize.JPG
    100_5153 resize.JPG
    92.5 KB · Views: 0
  • 100_5154 resize.JPG
    100_5154 resize.JPG
    84.6 KB · Views: 0
  • 100_5146 resize.JPG
    100_5146 resize.JPG
    98.8 KB · Views: 0

QC

Supreme Mariner

So now to adding the bow planks which feels a lot like a downhill portion of the run. Getting excited . . .

attachment.php

So to a question and some requested opinions. I had planned to go without traditional "grooves" or white "grout" between the planks and covering board outline.

Target look again:

Du_Vernet_1.jpg

I'm starting to have second thoughts as the white lines help clean up the tough job of perfect alignment of all pieces and planks. Sooooo, if I go with lines I need a shortcut method. I don't want to go with the messy job of filling with white tinted epoxy, and I don't want the cheapo look of pinstriping. This is phone cord. Whatever I use will need to be sandable . . . Thoughts? I love the idea of something off of a reel or some type of line/wire.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• 100_5158 resize.JPG
    100_5158 resize.JPG
    99.2 KB · Views: 0
  • 100_5159 resize.JPG
    100_5159 resize.JPG
    106.6 KB · Views: 0
  • 100_5156 resize.JPG
    100_5156 resize.JPG
    101 KB · Views: 0

QC

Supreme Mariner

Dang ^^^^^ that sounds like $400 to me . . . I'm looking for $50 options :rolleyes:

I will consider actual string, but I don't want to see the weave, that's why I was thinking wire.

QC

Supreme Mariner

Yeah, that might actually work if I can sand it and if it likes Epoxy. I'm totally inexperienced when it comes to what compounds will work together well.

Really cheap too!! :)

HopeSheFloats

Lieutenant Commander

Sanding should be OK, solid color thru, watch out, some styles have hollow centers...cheap enough to experiment with tho.

edit: clarify

BobsGlasstream

Commander

QC,
If you are looking for some inexpensive methods to get the look your after. I have a couple ideas for you that I have used in the past.
They all involve using your router to cut a shallow groove at the area you want the white.
1. Cut some thin strips of white maple or ash and inlay that, It won't be pure white but looks nice.
2. Fill the shallow cuts with some white gel coat and then sand smooth and put your final clear coat over it all.
3. Paint the shallow area with white paint that is compatible with your final coat, sand and finish.
I have used these methods before with some nice results.
Take care
Bob

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

How about the rubber strips that are used to install windo screens?