Might try to restore it if it's worth it '59 Tex

N30N

Cadet
Last edited by a moderator:

Pap's SuperSport

Seaman Apprentice
Re: Might try to restore it if it's worth it '59 Tex

There nothing to do? Seriously though, either the deck has been removed or it didn't have one. Power wash the boat down and look at the transom. Being a '59 and with that mold in there I would suspect it needs to be replaced. You will read about sealers in this forum, so do that for piece of mind, then paint if you want. Maybe a motor re-furb and you are on the water.

Maybe not that simple, but those are some things to check.

Anyway they choice is really up to you to decide if it is "worth" it. We're working on boat that's been in the family for years. So to us it is "worth" it.
Best of luck, Bill

jspano

Senior Chief Petty Officer

looks like a pretty plain canvas to work with... i mean really no removal except transom. hows the hull? i'm sure with materials and labor most restores are more a hoby than a money maker.

good luck

joe
fla.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

It is definitely a Texas Maid. Aluminum boats are almost always a worthwhile restore.

Azonic

Petty Officer 1st Class

your pretty close to done with that one!

New transom wood, and your on the water..

maybe a deck...

Looks really good...

tmcalavy

Rear Admiral

S-W-E-E-T! Another T. Maid on the forum. They are relatively easy restorations, new deck and transom and then it's a matter of what else you want to add. Use the search function and search for Texas Maid, lots of good threads will come up to give you some ideas. That boat will really cook with a 35-40 hp Big Twin, or two...see my pix. Check the hull for leaks...put some water in it to find them...then buck any rivets tight and use some Gluvit inside to seal the seams. I'm bummed that mine is in the garage for winter...won't get good lake weather again until late Feb. Enjoy.

Attachments

• boat3LR.jpg
    boat3LR.jpg
    66.9 KB · Views: 0
  • boat7LR.jpg
    boat7LR.jpg
    56.9 KB · Views: 0
  • boat8LR.jpg
    boat8LR.jpg
    63.9 KB · Views: 0

andgott

Master Chief Petty Officer

Looks like a cool old boat- Worthy of restoration! I love those fins back there. She'll be a real looker when you're done.

-Andrew

CheapboatKev

Vice Admiral

Oh I'd save that classic beauty in a heart beat!
From what I have seen, them old girls are much rarer than the Starcrafts.

Be nice to have a lil tinny that was more unique than most all of the other tin cans!!!

Looks like a fairly easy restore too..Good luck and keep us updated!

N30N

Cadet

Thanks for the replies, there is so much inforrmation on this site! Glad I found it...

I musta spent two-three hours readin around here before I posted this.

I plan on building a deck, and for sure gonna seal it.

The transom is gonna be easy.. there is no mold, but I'm all about that "Piece of Mind."

I have two older Johnson motors. both only have about 5-10 hours on them. The one that's on it in the pics, and a 18 horse for it too..

I'm building a wire harness for it in the garage. Gonna have lights and tunes in it too... I work at a local Parts store, so it'll be cheap project. Oh yeah we mix paint too.. :D

Have L.E.D. lights for it, and new cable for the steering already.

I showed the wife a few boats here on the site, and she got kinda excited... My daughter just says wow boats.. :redface: she's only 5

tmcalavy

Rear Admiral

Nows the time to have boat fun...especially if you can outfit it so the girls can ride in comfort. Get your little first mate involved in water sports and the wife will enjoy it too. Enjoy those years...they grow up fast, fast, fast and one day they won't dare be seen with you or the wife in public...what would the other cool teens think???

CheapboatKev

Vice Admiral

Nows the time to have boat fun...especially if you can outfit it so the girls can ride in comfort. Get your little first mate involved in water sports and the wife will enjoy it too. Enjoy those years...they grow up fast, fast, fast and one day they won't dare be seen with you or the wife in public...what would the other cool teens think???

Well...I bet some of the teen age boys would think her old man has a bomb diggity old boat!;)

tmcalavy

Rear Admiral

Yeah, but that don't mean she'll want to be seen with Dad...just cruise with the cute guys...unless she wants to learn how to waterski...that's a good way to bring a smarty into shape...bring her home late?...crack the whip on the water. Nah, not really.

N30N

Cadet

What do you guys use to strip the Aluminum? I don't wanna corrode/etch the aluminum.

tmcalavy

Rear Admiral

Some folks use a flapper wheel on a grinder or drill. I prefer plain old nasty spray-on oven cleaner. It will take the old grime/grease etc. and paint off down to the primer layer, and further if you leave it on longer. But be safe and follow all the directions...it is caustic stuff. After that you can rough sand the surface to get it take a color coat of paint, or prime and repaint it altogether. You'll get better "stick" using primer. Make sure all the stuff you use, from primer to clear coat, are the same brand and compatible with each other. Sux to have to redo it. Wire wheels on drills/grinders work too, but they are aggressive and leave little sharp bits of wire everywhere...not safe. Others use a media/bead blaster with good results. Just depends on how much elbow grease and $$ you want to put into the process. Post some more pix as you go along...we love eye candy of work in progress.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

What do you guys use to strip the Aluminum? I don't wanna corrode/etch the aluminum.

I just dug this up from an old thread for another member this morning. He had great results:

The stripper that i used is:

BIX TUFF-JOB REMOVER.

I bought it at home depot. It is a great product. It is made for Aircraft-Auto-Epoxy-Marine.... I will swear by this stuff till the day i die. Here is the bix website.

http://www.bixmfg.com/

listed under removers.. Good luck...

N30N

Cadet

Yeah, I work at a place where we mix paint. :D

But I don't want to etch the aluminum.

I did a bunch of searching, and for whatever reason the mod felt the need to lock the thread.. I don't understand that...

I'm gonna try some of the AirCraft stipper after a quite a bit-o searching and results.

Soda blasting was just too much money for a kinda "Budget" project..

and now to order the materials for the transom... Gonna be a fun winter...

Oh, and I'm also building a '37 Chevy PU.. Ratrod!

Johnny Too Bad

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Awesome, another 1959 Texas Maid Osprey! I have one just like it. I started restoring mine last July and absolutely love it. It's a fun little boat.

I splurged and had mine soda blasted. There were just too many coats of paint and I wanted a nice smooth surface since I'm leaving the sides a natural polished aluminum. I run a 35hp on mine and it's plenty.

bankfisher

Petty Officer 3rd Class

sandpaper!!! if the paint on it is good, just smooth everything out and paint over it.

Great looking boat!!!!

tmcalavy

Rear Admiral

If you want to strip all the old paint off, use plain old nasty spray on oven cleaner...but be safe and follow the label directions. If you want to use the old paint as a primer for new, deoxidize it and rough it up with fine sandpaper or steel wool, then primer the bare spots and repaint. Use a brush on primer, the spray on primer is harder to use unless you can flip the boat over/around any way you want.