Mercruiser R anodes and bonding straps

Cresco750

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Looking through my Mercruiser service manual there is reference to there being a replaceable anode attached on, or under the hydraulic manifold on the gimbal housing. My out drive currently does not have one of these anodes installed and I'm wondering whether the early ones never ad these, and / or a later addition? Should I fit one? Zinc, aluminum or magnesium best for a boat which runs in the salt water but gets flushed / washed down and stored on a dry stack?
I currently just have the trim tap and transom housing anode bolt heads.

Also, I see a reference to bonding wires / straps linking he various components of he out drive to each other. Again, I don't see any of these on mine. Should I fit them?

Thalasso

Commander
Re: Mercruiser R anodes and bonding straps

Looking through my Mercruiser service manual there is reference to there being a replaceable anode attached on, or under the hydraulic manifold on the gimbal housing. My out drive currently does not have one of these anodes installed and I'm wondering whether the early ones never ad these, and / or a later addition? Should I fit one? Zinc, aluminum or magnesium best for a boat which runs in the salt water but gets flushed / washed down and stored on a dry stack?

Also, I see a reference to bonding wires / straps linking he various components of he out drive to each other. Again, I don't see any of these on mine. Should I fit them?

What drives and engine do you have (serial numbers for each) That will be a question that is going to be asked to be able to help you

Cresco750

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Hi

As per the title; Merc 'R' out drive, s/n 5968201. Engine Merc 228 / GM 305cu in.

Cheers

Cresco750

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Huh, well well well! So it would seem. I've always thought it was an 'R' drive due to the "1.5R" being stamped on the ID plate next to the serial number, but I guess this may indicate rotation direction?

That diagram in the link makes me even more confused, since it it titled " How to tell if a drive is Alpha 1 or Alpha 1 Gen 2". So, does this mean that even though my drive is technically an MC1 it is still correctly referred to as an 'Alpha 1'?

Now, I guess my original question should be; does an MC-1 drive have / require a gimbal housing anode?

Cheers

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

The 1.5R stand for 1.5 Ratio (aka gear ratio in drive). The MC-1 doesn't use that anode.

Bondo

Staff member

Ayuh,... Are ya havin' any Issues now,..??

Are the anodes there, weatherin' well,..??

Bondo

Staff member

Huh, well well well! So it would seem. I've always thought it was an 'R' drive due to the "1.5R" being stamped on the ID plate next to the serial number, but I guess this may indicate rotation direction?

That diagram in the link makes me even more confused, since it it titled " How to tell if a drive is Alpha 1 or Alpha 1 Gen 2". So, does this mean that even though my drive is technically an MC1 it is still correctly referred to as an 'Alpha 1'?

Now, I guess my original question should be; does an MC-1 drive have / require a gimbal housing anode?

Cheers

Ayuh,... Yer drive was built Before there was an R drive, or MR drive, or an Alpha 1 drive, or the Alpha 1, Gen.II drive.....

The MC-1 has had many names, a common 1 is Pre-Alpha, but it's still just an MC-1.... 'n Not an Alpha 1...

Cresco750

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Well, I've only had the boat a short while, and I suspect that the anodes that are in place are the originals (ex-fresh water boat / shed stored / low hours). I assume they are of the zinc variety? The trim tab one has virtually no degradation, one of the transome bolt anodes is also almost looking new, whilst the other one is probably about 25% gone. The condition of them is not a concern, as the appear to have plenty of "life" left in them yet. My original concern was whether or not I should have, or could / should fit a gimbal housing anode as well? If I was to fit one then I was wondering whether I should replace the whole lot with a set of aluminum anodes, if these in fact are better than the original zinc ones?
Is the MC-1 the same around the hydraulic manifold area which would allow me to fit an anode intended for an Alpha, etc? My housings are showing the early signs of corrosion and I just want to provide the best protection I can for my circumstances.

Cheers

Thalasso

Commander

Well, I've only had the boat a short while, and I suspect that the anodes that are in place are the originals (ex-fresh water boat / shed stored / low hours). I assume they are of the zinc variety? The trim tab one has virtually no degradation, one of the transome bolt anodes is also almost looking new, whilst the other one is probably about 25% gone. The condition of them is not a concern, as the appear to have plenty of "life" left in them yet. My original concern was whether or not I should have, or could / should fit a gimbal housing anode as well? If I was to fit one then I was wondering whether I should replace the whole lot with a set of aluminum anodes, if these in fact are better than the original zinc ones?

Is the MC-1 the same around the hydraulic manifold area which would allow me to fit an anode intended for an Alpha, etc? My housings are showing the early signs of corrosion and I just want to provide the best protection I can for my circumstances.

Cheers

Now aren't you glad you posted your serial numbers? If your boating in salt water you need to use zinc anodes. Fresh water= Magnesium not aluminum. Brackish water ( a salt/freshwater mix)= aluminum.

MarkSee

Lieutenant Junior Grade

If your boating in salt water you need to use zinc anodes. Fresh water= Magnesium not aluminum. Brackish water ( a salt/freshwater mix)= aluminum.

One other thought is to check out service bulletin 91-19 and do your drive and yourself a favor and use only the OEM (Merc/Quicksilver) anodes as you can never be sure of the content mix of aftermarket anodes where the wrong composition can lead to your drive being eaten away instead of the anode. To me, it's worth the little extra money.

Mark

Attachments

• 91-19 Anode material Change.pdf
    16.8 KB · Views: 2

Cresco750

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks very much for all the good advice. I agree, sticking to OEM anodes is probably the most reassuring way to go. I have to admit that I am still a little confused as to which is the most appropriate metal composition to use. There seems to be some conflicting opinions on this subject; some recommend zinc for salt water, whilst I have also read that Merc now recommends aluminum in the sea?

Cheers

Bondo

Staff member

Thanks very much for all the good advice. I agree, sticking to OEM anodes is probably the most reassuring way to go. I have to admit that I am still a little confused as to which is the most appropriate metal composition to use. There seems to be some conflicting opinions on this subject; some recommend zinc for salt water, whilst I have also read that Merc now recommends aluminum in the sea?

Cheers

Ayuh,... But what are you gonna be boatin' in,..??

Cresco750

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Salt, but flushed and stored on a dry stack.