Fuel "burping" out of vent when filling tank

F14CRAZY

Ensign
Hey guys, I thought this would be the best place to post this.

Boat in question is in my signature, my 19' Capri.

When on the trailer I could fill the fuel tank from a gas station pump as fast as I wanted but when the boat's in the water and taking on fuel, the vent on the stern lets out a little bit unless you fill it VERY slowly. I obviously don't want to be spilling. The marina in Marquette had a little container that goes over the vent and holds onto the stern with suction cups and catches the spillage...something I'm going to invest in.

I figured out that this happens because the vent outlet on the tank is on the rear. With the tank being long and not-tall and the stern sitting down in the water, the vent outlet is covered with fuel before the tank is full. I didnt have this problem on the trailer since the bow's down (remind me to get Air Lift bags for my car).

Is this a common thing to happen? Aside from the container I mentioned is there a way to prevent it?

missalot

Seaman Apprentice
Re: Fuel "burping" out of vent when filling tank

I put the "lifeguard fuel/air separator" by Racor on our boats, I use the bigger one, gives room for several "burps". not cheap, but always there and no suction cups to mess with.

180shabah

Rear Admiral

Move some weight - NOT PEOPLE - to the bow for fueling.

stylesabu

Master Chief Petty Officer

Can You Get To The Tank? Install Another Vent In The Front. Or Even In The Neck Of The Fill Pipe. If I Understand Your Problem Correctly

rbh

Fleet Admiral

I can only think of two things, one- the pump at the marina is super fast, so just slow down.
or has been said there is to much angle of the boat on water.
my .02 cents worth.:)

Friscoboater

Captain

I have to make sure my boat is nose up to keep that from happening. I think the gas foams up when it enters the tank.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

Try this. Remove the vernt hose from the fuel tank. Use compressed air to blow the hose back out to the vent.

Should be a loop in the hose running to the vent. Fuel and water get tapped in the bottom the loop and restricts the air flow to the fuel tank.

This solved the problem on my last boat.

Mike Robinson

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I have a similar problem with the long narrow tank in my boat. My fill and vent are on the starboard side of the tank, so I found that listing the boat to port when filling eliminates this problem. Something similar may help your problem.

26aftcab454

Lieutenant Commander

I can only think of two things, one- the pump at the marina is super fast, so just slow down.
or has been said there is to much angle of the boat on water.
my .02 cents worth.:)

my guess