Mercruiser Help!!! Not turning over!!!

nola mike

Vice Admiral
Well, crap. Just read through this whole year old thread expecting to find out what happened!

becdea

Seaman Apprentice
Sorry, folks. The UPDATE is it ended up being Hydrolocked. And new plugs fixed it and of course getting the water out. And it is now 2017, and it is happening again. I have no idea why I use the same person to winterize my boat.

Bondo

Staff member
Sorry, folks. The UPDATE is it ended up being Hydrolocked. And new plugs fixed it and of course getting the water out. And it is now 2017, and it is happening again. I have no idea why I use the same person to winterize my boat.

Ayuh,.... Get yerself some tools, 'n We'll teach ya how to do it,...

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
Once cast iron is cracked or rotted away it rarely will fix itself.New plugs do not repair a hydrolock condition. You have :
a cracked block
cracked head
cracked exaust manifold
A rotted exaust riser

Learn to do it yourself the correct way , just ask. To help determine what part is bad drain the manifolds and riser first. Remove the riser and look in the exaust port, wet and shiny is water Y or N
If yes, riser shot, if no proceed to next step.
Remove the hose that goes to the bottom of the manifold from the thermostat housing. Set the hose opening just below the height of the top of the manifold, Carefully fill manifold with water untill full Look into manifold opening Do you see water entering, Y or N
Y manifold cracked, If no procede to next step
Remove spark plugs and clear cylinders of any water . Remove large hose at therm housing .Slowly fill with water untill full.
Let sit and watch for any decrease, refill as necessary
See if water exits a sparkplug hole Y cracked block or head

becdea

Seaman Apprentice
Thanks for the info, We seem to have this issue every year and need to put in new plugs after we blow the water out.

becdea

Seaman Apprentice
We did get her going for this year. Now on to the many other issues she has. Hey, but at least she wheeled out and shined up great this year.

Maclin

Admiral
If I am understanding this entire story, your issue is not with the spark plugs, the issue is water intrusion into the cylinder banks, probably not related to winterization method (but which I hope you changed). The intrusion can happen anytime the engine has been running (with water hooked up or in the water) and then engine is turned off. Water drips into any open exhaust valve from a compromised exhaust manifold. Can be other ways also, the amount of water you describe sounds like exhaust manifold. Be ready for this to happen out on the water when trying to enjoy the boat and it just clunks when trying to restart...You will need to do the spark plug removal, crank engine to remove water from cylinders, hope no water re-entered while doing that, and re-install spark plugs (same plugs) then start it up and do not turn it off until you are winching it up onto the trailer.

If I missed some key components of the story, like where engine components were tested and diagnosed and replaced, then I apologize and wish you good luck boating this season.