Mercruiser Help!!! Not turning over!!!

becdea

Seaman Apprentice
I have Mercruiser engine model MCM 5.0 LX 305CID, It ran fine when it was winterized last year. I know it had an issue once with the starter last season. I banged on it a few times and it started and then I installed a larger battery. This year when it was taken out of storage it it now will not start. I replaced the starter tonight. I turns over once and then makes a clunking noise. I am wondering if they gave me the wrong starter? I want to fix it myself as I need to know how to work on my own boat,

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
unlikely the wrong starter if it fit. what you describe is indicative of hydrolock. Can you explain IN DETAIL how it was winterized?
Start by removing all the sparkplugs, then try to spin it over.

. I know it had an issue once with the starter last season. I banged on it a few times and it started and then I installed a larger battery.
bigger batteries will not fix a starter, from the description it went under water

Last edited:

UncleWillie

Captain
What is the voltage on the Battery Post on the starter when cranking?
What is the voltage on the Terminal Post on the Battery when cranking?
The actual posts, Not the Clamps/Lugs! It makes a difference.

Be sure you have a solid 12 volts at both places before you start throwing more money at the problem.

becdea

Seaman Apprentice
BT DOCTUR: As far as winterizing I just ran the anti freeze through hose on the top of the engine and waited until it came out of the outdrive, After it came out of the outdrive waited 10 seconds, cut the engine off and then checked the upper hose to make sure the anti freeze made it made it in. I did nothing with the gas and I know there wasn't much gas left in the tank.So your're saying to remove all spark plugs, and then turn engine over by using the starter?

becdea

Seaman Apprentice
UncleWillie: When the motor was turned over it had 12.6 while trying to start the motor. Never checked the starter, but the starter is brand new. I just went and got it tonight. Could it be a bad battery not putting out enough amps?

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
unless you actually drained the engine block and the manifolds first, there is a good chance you have cracked manifolds or block.
pull the spark plugs ,and spin the motor. report your findings

becdea

Seaman Apprentice
Bt Doctur: If I pull the plugs and spin the motor,how will I know if it's cracked? The boat has been sitting in the drive and has not been on the water yet. It hasn't been started since the end of last season. I am about to go start removing spark plugs right now. I was hoping it was something minimal. The guy who taught me how to winterize it and was at my house doing it told me what I explained to you was all that needed to be done for storage.

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
I have heard that crunch sound too many times already. takes only a few minutes longer to just flush, fog until the engine stalls, drain the block and maniflds and simply pour the A/F into the block and manifolds

You may find rusted sparkplugs , first sign of a problem.

Last edited:

UncleWillie

Captain
Many would not agree with your winterizing method. Did you drain it before, and after, flushing 6 gallons of Antifreeze?

If you have a cracked block you could have one or more cylinders full of water and the starter can not compress a water filled cylinder.
With the plugs out, you would see a fountain of water spraying out the spark plug holes. Game Over!

If you have 12.6 on the battery while cranking you do not have a good connection to the starter.
Something in the 11's would be typical, even in the 10's at the starter end of the cable. Below 9 at the starter while cranking is also bad.
12.6 while cranking means you are not drawing any current. Good Battery, Good Starter, Bad Cable/Connections.

Last edited:

becdea

Seaman Apprentice
The clunking sound only happened when I installed the new starter tonight. When I first started the boat earlier before I put the new starter on it just made a light clicking sound.That was the same sound it had made last year when I had to bang on it to get it started it and then it ran for a month with no issue. I need to ask the guy that helped me if a/f was poured into the block and manifolds then too I am guessing?

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
until you pull the plugs its a guessing game.coulda, woulda ,shoulda. considering the rubber exaust components, some type of coolant must flow thru them with the motor running no matter what the thermostat is doing.So seeing pink out the exaust means that the exaust was being kept cool, that's all
soft clicking is usually the slave solenoid, hard clicking is the starter solenoid. But if the starter was wet and has corroded terminals it may not even give you a click.

Last edited:

becdea

Seaman Apprentice
Ok...I am trying to get the plugs out now. Its late here and dark so it is a task at the moment...I will let you know my findings soon..

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
We await the results, inquiring minds want to know. 1:29 east coast time

Last edited:

becdea

Seaman Apprentice
yes same time here then! but the spark plugs will not come out! i have been looking for sockets forever to fit the darn things

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
you need a 5/8 ths spark plug socket with the hex part ground away, helps it fit under the manifold. using a regular deep socket can break the plugs

becdea

Seaman Apprentice
Ok...should have listened to my wife when she told me about the socket size. But we wont tell her

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
DSCN2634_zps2953c745.jpg

becdea

Seaman Apprentice
Uncle Willie: I am startimf with the plugs and then will get the battery tested in the morning. The guy who had said he has been doing boats like this for years is family. So I trusted how he taught me to do it. Obviously, I made a mistake by letting him teach me I am seeing...

becdea

Seaman Apprentice
Ok, so a tons of water just came out of the 2nd plug I took out. So if you're facing the motor from inside the boat it would be the 3rd one on the left from the back

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
bad batteries and cables will give a chattering sound from the starter, fast clicking sounds. a loud crunch is not what you want to hear.not to alarm you but if the valves were open and rusted open , the clanking may be the piston hitting the valves. If you ever have a miss that you cant find, pull the plugs looking for a pure white one. that's a sign of water entering a cylinder vaporizing the carbon deposits away.
any chance your in NJ?

Last edited: