mercruiser 350 starter grinding away

indigobluex

Cadet
ill try to make this short and sweet lol.
i bought a 87 fourwinns with a mercruiser305 the starter had ground a notch in the flywheel upon further inspection i found water in the oil.

so i bough a mercruiser 350 and installed it in the boat with a new starter and a new flywheel i fired it up once last summer to check that the motor was good.

now i just got it out of storage and started it up and it started fine i tried it again and it just grinds against the flywheel. i changed the starter with just a normal car starter because i didnt want to buy a new starter if i didnt need to and i get the same just grinds away.

now if i pull the plugs out it will spin over just fine but it sounds terrible like the starter isnt meshing with the flywheel very good. i put the plugs back in and away she grinds again idk any thoughts any one

Fishermark

Vice Admiral
Re: mercruiser 350 starter grinding away

upon further inspection i found water in the oil.

so i bough a mercruiser 350 and installed it in the boat with a new starter and a new flywheel

Did you find and fix the source of the water intrusion?

Leedanger

Petty Officer 1st Class

ill try to make this short and sweet lol.
i changed the starter with just a normal car starter because i didnt want to buy a new starter if i didnt need to and i get the same just grinds away.

Ah ya....car starters won't work in most scenarios cause they rotate backwards.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Ah ya....car starters won't work in most scenarios cause they rotate backwards.

Car starters turn the same directions as IO engines. Car starters won't work because the are not ignition protected and can cause an explosion.

Leedanger

Petty Officer 1st Class

Car starters turn the same directions as IO engines. Car starters won't work because the are not ignition protected and can cause an explosion.

Hmmm. Well apparently I received bad info probably the same way I just tried to spread it. Thanks for nipping it in the bud.