Merc 400 EL, 1961, water leak?

ram50

Cadet
Re: Merc 400 EL, 1961, water leak?

I would check the hose that runs to the pee hole. It may be broken or could have just come off.

bananaboater

Ensign

I would check the hose that runs to the pee hole. It may be broken or could have just come off.

Thanks, but you are not speaking in words I know! :) My first boat and OB. What and where is the pee hole?

How do I find the hose to see if it is not hooked up? Where do I look?

Thanks, Albert

Last edited:

ram50

Cadet

:confused: you showed it in your video plain as day. its the white tube sticking out just below the cover. Im no expert it is just what I would look into

bananaboater

Ensign

:confused: you showed it in your video plain as day. its the white tube sticking out just below the cover. Im no expert it is just what I would look into

Ahhh, the water exhaust hole. Now I get it :D

ram50

Cadet

water exhaust hole does sound better :D

coolguy147

Commander

ummm i would not say that is normal. there is no hose that runs the water out of the engine. all of it is contained and water should exit out of the exhaust mainfold right below it. tiny hole on the lower cowling. no hoses.

the water leaking in the video looks like it might be the "u" cup seal. not sure if it would be harmful. it seals the exhaust in and water to exit out the lower unit.

bimmerbit_93

Seaman Apprentice

ummm i would not say that is normal. there is no hose that runs the water out of the engine. all of it is contained and water should exit out of the exhaust mainfold right below it. tiny hole on the lower cowling. no hoses.

the water leaking in the video looks like it might be the "u" cup seal. not sure if it would be harmful. it seals the exhaust in and water to exit out the lower unit.

I hope this isn't too old of a post for me to jump into.

I just came across your post. Great boat and motor! I have a Merc 400 that I just got ready to go to the lake for the first time, and it has exactly the same problem with water coming from the front of the mid-section. What did you do to fix it?