Maxxis Tires???

Low dsrt jon

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I understand that Maxxis tires are rated excellent are there many people who will disagree with this. I've ownes two sets of Goodyear Marathon's took proper care of them and they ended up almost costing me a boat and did cost me expensive trailer repairs due to blow outs in traffic!! Any comments from owners of trailer tires , not regular tires being used on a trailer. Thanks LDJ

MTribe08

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: Maxxis Tires???

I understand that Maxxis tires are rated excellent are there many people who will disagree with this. I've ownes two sets of Goodyear Marathon's took proper care of them and they ended up almost costing me a boat and did cost me expensive trailer repairs due to blow outs in traffic!! Any comments from owners of trailer tires , not regular tires being used on a trailer. Thanks LDJ

These are the tires and rims I have on my dual axle trailer...Towed the boat from Atlanta to Phoenix without a hickup..they have alot of meat on the tires with deep tread. Seem like a very good trailer tire.
http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_6970_200330258_200330258

These seem to be good as well.
http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_6970_200330376_200330376

83Evinrude

Petty Officer 1st Class

I've been interested in these:
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Kumho&tireModel=Radial+857&partnum=0R4857

In 205/R14 they are 65psi load range D tires rated for 2271 lbs. and speed rated for up to 99mph.

Goodyear Marathons in the same size are 50 psi load range C tires rated for 1760 lbs. and normally SST tires are only speed rated for 65mph:

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/Spec....5R4MAROWL&tirePageLocQty=&partnum=075R4MAROWL

The specs seem very good to me.

204 Escape

Ensign

I use COOPER trailer tires on ours, and COOPER tires exclusively on all of our trucks, and car. The tires on the boat trailer, are 8 ply. I like them fine.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

I've ownes two sets of Goodyear Marathon's took proper care of them and they ended up almost costing me a boat and did cost me expensive trailer repairs due to blow outs in traffic!!
Curious, what were the circumstances of your failures? Tire age, tire size and load?

I have had most of my tire failures on the front right tire of my tandem trailer. That is the tire that sees most of the bad potholes.

Low dsrt jon

Petty Officer 3rd Class

:confused::confused: The marathons were two yrs old inflated properly not cracked first set came brand new with boat and trailer the second set were three yrs old perfect condition just came apart going down the frwy, wrecked trailer fender wiring,fender light a goodtear dealer turned me onto the Maxxis Brand? LDJ

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral

I have 4 16" maxxis on my fifth wheel which weighs around 12,000 lbs.... I tow at 80 mph with a jeep on a towbar behind it.... absolutely rock solid with no noticable sway and so far with several 1000 mile trips with some through 100 deg + desert conditions.... VERY satisfied

204 Escape

Ensign

Yes !!!! We are running COOPER 185R14C SRMII tires. They are load range "D". I've been happy with the COOPER tires !!!!

642mx

Lieutenant Commander

I switched to Maxxis after having issues with 2 Marathons... I'll never buy a Goodyear tire again! So far, the Maxxis have been rock solid... no issues at all. :)

arimatation

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I have 2 Goodyears that I bought new and they say made in China. Kind of surprised me?

NHGuy

Captain

I'd get your boat & trailer weighed. Marathons and Maxxis are the best, neither should give you a bit of trouble.
But if you are over weight get tires with capacity to handle what you carry.
I have been in the tire business for the last 20 years and have done some reading and research on this subject. Also to disclose, I own a boat with some no name trailer tires that are rated 115% of the weight it tows at. No issues. And I have a 2004 travel trailer that weighs 6000 lbs and has OE Marathons which are maxed out by the trailer. Haven't had a problem including a cross country trip that started in July in 117 degree heat. Oh, 1 little thing, while going through Yellowstone the brakes got so hot my plastic center cap fell off-stopped a while when that happened.

leer94

Seaman Apprentice

Never heard of Maxxis tires. Are they their own company or owned by someone else?

my previous 2 trailers and my old camper, all had Carlyle tires on them. Not by any choice of mine, just coincedence. I thought they were fine tires. Never any isssues with them. I did not put any of the tires on the trailers so I do not how old the tires were when I bought the vehicles or what their lifespan was.

When I bought the Hydra Sport it had Hankook 8 ply regular tires on it. I think when I put new tires on the trailer this spring I am going to put on D or E range MASTERCRAFT tires on. Mastercraft is an American tire, owned by Cooper, made in Ohio. I just put a set ( courser AT2) on my Van and am VERY PLEASED!!!!! very pleased indeed! really nice tire!

leer94

Seaman Apprentice

Yes !!!! We are running COOPER 185R14C SRMII tires. They are load range "D". I've been happy with the COOPER tires !!!!

DITTO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I chose Mastercraft for my van because they are a Cooper Company. ( could not get the actual Coopers around me in the size and style I wanted in any sort of timely manner)

I have had 5 sets of tires on my van...and went back to a Cooper product because the Cooper Cobra's I had two sets ago were VASTLY superior to any other set I had on my van or any other vehicle.

After having put these MasterCraft tires on my van...Cooper products is all that will go on any of my vehicles.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

I have 2 Goodyears that I bought new and they say made in China. Kind of surprised me?

The GoodYear Marathons used to me made in the USA but lately some of the sizes have been coming from China.

JimMH

Petty Officer 1st Class

I have the Maxxis Tires on another trailer that is used to hual Dogs for field trials. Trailer is stainless Steel, frame, structure and skin. With 40 gallons of water is weighs over 2200LBS. Never had a problem with the tires. I have Good years on my new boat trailer and will switch to Maxxis with the time comes.

blyter

Recruit

Are you guys runing radial's or standard conventional?
Thanks...