materials for building that will outlast my lifetime

CentralOregonBum

Seaman Apprentice
I'm a bum and not so able to replace a $77 piece of marine plywood every 4-7 years so I am looking for examples of alternative materials for stucual building floor, bench seats, built in tackle box, etc... a little extra initial cost is cool if it last forever.... foams, uhmw, plastics, rubber,aluminum sheets ??? examples light and durable ...I have an old aluminum boat.... thanks!

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner
Re: materials for building that will outlast my lifetime

Marine plywood will last much longer than that, and if used correctly would probably out last you.

As for other materials...use diamond plate for the floor, truck tool boxes for the bench seats, and use the smaller truck boxes for other storage compartments and such. My boat was done this way about 12 years ago and is holding up fine, we just did my friends boat earlier this year and he's pleased with it. We buy these aluminum truck boxes used on CL for cheap.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

Plywood deck properly prepared with fiberglass will last only 20-30 years. It is the best bang for the buck. Just never use pressure treated.

Yacht Dr.

Vice Admiral

I'm a bum and not so able to replace a $77 piece of marine plywood every 4-7 years so I am looking for examples of alternative materials for stucual building floor, bench seats, built in tackle box, etc... a little extra initial cost is cool if it last forever.... foams, uhmw, plastics, rubber,aluminum sheets ??? examples light and durable ...I have an old aluminum boat.... thanks!

I agree with Ondarvr .. properly prepped MG will last a Very long time.

As far as 'light, durable, little more extra cost, lasts forever ( I assume you mean a Long time )' .. Im not familiar with such a product at this time ..

There are products that will last forever basically .. but not at a 'little more cost' ;) ..

YD.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

If you can weld aluminum, you might try scrounging around scrap yards for discarded large road signs. 1/4" plate aluminum for decking seats, boxes etc.. It will last as long as the boat. Corrosion would be your only enemy.