Making filler/putty

Status
Not open for further replies.

rickryder

Commander
Re: Making filler/putty

PSS. spoons ? ... erm..you do know that those yellow plastic spreaders can be CUT to Any shape you want..right ?? I think there like 1.00 a pop.

So the plastic yellow squeegee is $1 and you have to cut it to make it work :eek: and the mentioned spoon is $1 and you don't have to modify it.... I'm not getting the big issue here :confused:

So here is a pic of my PB fillet done with a plastic spoon..... I think it came out ok for my first try.....and using the dreaded spoon :facepalm:
2myd0l.jpg

P3FE

Seaman

Great Thread! I am getting close to needing to create fillets between my new deck and the hull. I saw that cabrosil was mixed with air-bubbles and resin for a filler. I checked the sticky-but did not see the recipe. I have 19 foot Bayliner 1954 Capri. I will need 64 feet of 3 inch fillets in my estimation.
My questions:
1. What is the recipe for cabrosil-resin-airbubble mix ratio? Is it just a wag, just add the three until you get the right consistency?
2. How much cabrosil and airbubbles should I buy? :confused:

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Mix equal parts of cabosil, bubbles and fibers until you get the required consistency. It comes from OOPS thread and is what he uses in his shop.

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner

There is no exact recipe, each resin will react slightly different when the ingredients are added, so you may need to adjust it to your needs, but start with the above recommended mix.

Cabosil will thicken it and give a creamy, non sagging texture, bubbles will make it lighter and can lower the cure temps because they take up space and reduce the amount of resin, plus it makes it easier to sand. Fibers add strength, but will make it harder to work with, the more you add and the longer they are, the lumpier the putty it gets.

What it means is you get to play mad scientist and create your own special mix.

For a non structural application you can mix in just about anything you want, saw dust, grinding dust, flour, talc, sand, etc.

Yacht Dr.

Vice Admiral

The old deck was put on before the top half was installed, and i would love to redo it that way, but i don't have the time and the help to. What I was going to do is just lay the plywood over the lip from the edges where it extends out over where the old wood was. Only problem is that the edges of the wood are going to create a "ditch" or dam for the water to sit in, and i know that is not good. My question is that can I make a filler w/ some polyester resin and wood dust? Ive got plenty of dust so i could make it as thick as it needs to be. I would make kitty hair or something like the peanut butter but the budget is the thing. I'm just going to fill the gaps with it and smooth it out to make a uniform rounded edge and like I said it's right against the wall so it wont be being stepped on.

Any opinions, or advice would be greatly appreciated

Seeing the the OP has not responded yet .. let me tell you why and how I posted as I did..and why some of the posts/ideas are premature. ( I do not intend to offend anyone here on This post )

READ HIS OP ! .. think about it ( I might be reading this wrong but..this is how Im reading it ).

1. DFM is going to lay down a Deck. Ok.. ( ply is glassed or resin coated ? .. nobody asked. Nobody asked for Pics.. ( Just HOW to do this with filler and spoons ). He has a "Gap" ( which was not defined and not seen .. could be 2"x3/4" who knows ).

2. He is Suggesting that the New Ply will be placed ON top of the Deck liner flange ( lay the plywood over the lip from the edges where it extends out over where the old wood was. ) So the New ply decking is going to be placed Over the fiberglass deck liner and Not in the ply decks original placement..

3. "Spoons" I never intended to offend anyone..but I kinda thought he was filling a Deck gap ( not a stringers ) . The Spoons work Great for stringers and bulks..but hes not talking about stringers. The radi of Deck to hull is a +90 deg angle. .. You can create your own angle with radi with the cutting/shaping of spreader. Its a trick of the trade..

3a. Spooning is good for Most fillet applicatinos..but not all. This application is still not entirely understood so my opinion is not against others .. but it might be..

4. Are the responses for his particular situation saying the he does Not have to tab in his deck to his hull ?

5. Fillers ( AKA PB ) are not always the same mix ( cabosil or microballons ) or ratio for the application. Some need more Cabosil..some might need some Glass bubbles. Some require longer strands of mat ( Thats Why I said no paddle Mix because Most of the Glass will just clog up your mixer when power mixing ). Structural mix should be done with Cabosil/resin and possible chopped up mat.

Are we Glassing the deck to hull in this application..or just Spooning in some filler for a deck thats raised and planted on a deck liner flange......?

I would say Dont just fill your new deck to a deck flange at all. If you did want to tie your deck wood ( that was below your molded deck liner ) I would ask for some Pics please..because the just Putty and Spooning is a bad Idea !

Unless we are suggesting that he should tie in his ply deck to his deck liner.. and also not Glass his ply deck to his hull..

I really dont think Im out of line here...

YD.

" But Yacht Doctor has HIS way and does not seem to recognize or credit, methods other than his own."

This has been given in my Sig " All Information or advice given by ME is from a Professional point of view and does not discount other methods by other members of Iboats. " I Do respect other methods from other members..

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

I guess for now on people should be posting their own material. I will no longer tolerate plagiarism nor will I tolerate childish attitudes.

If the work is not your work or a method you have used on your project then please do not bother to post an opinion or cry to my fellow moderator's about my attitude.

Yup this post is closed and if you are man enough .....complain to me! My tolerance has just become ground zero......and people know who they are.

Status
Not open for further replies.