Making a top/tower for my Traveler...

Bondo

Staff member
Re: Making a top/tower for my Traveler...

Ayuh,... lookin' darn Sweet....;)

BEARMAX

Cadet

very nice now i wana build my wake tower does that emt come in 2 inch or biger

Hogger

Petty Officer 1st Class

Nice fab job. I'm finding more hogheads around all the time, it's a great job.

craigman

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Outstanding job! :cool:

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Looks pretty darn good even with the tarp. Mounts came out great.

Triton II

Commander

Nice job Big Block. When you get the hard top done, don't forget the letter H in a circle on the roof! It'll attract "angry palmtrees"!! :D

TII

bigblock454

Petty Officer 1st Class

Very cool project big block, this thread truly does inspire new ideas for anyone reading it I'm sure. You've got me wondering if I could rig a mini tower for rod holders and planer boards on my boat:)

Great work, can't wait to see this all finished, your boat is being transformed:)

Sorry, I missed it when you wrote this Huron Angler. It would be interesting to see what you have in mind! This EMT stuff is available down to like 1/2" or so... CHEAPLY!! Anyway I can help, just ask. Thanks for the compliment too!!

Norm II

bigblock454

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thank you Bond-o!!

BEARMAX - You bet. You get get this stuff much bigger than even that, but keep in mind, the bending gets harder. You should be fine with 2" though.

Hogger - Aww DANG!! We're taking over the joint!! Just don't give us free beers!! :D Thanks Bro!

Thanks a lot craigman!

ezmobee - Thank you. It'll do for now, but don't want to get TOO comfy with it. Lots more to be done!!

Triton II - Oh my!! Sounds like experience talkin' here!! :eek: Please don't tell me this is a "normal" occurance in YOUR neck of the woods!!

micks110

Master Chief Petty Officer

Looks awesome norm! Even with the tarp:D

craigman

Petty Officer 2nd Class

PLEASE keep us updated on any progress! :cool:

NetMatrix

Petty Officer 1st Class

The top/tower that you are building looks very nice. It's really funny how those towers cost over $1,000 to buy, but you can build one from conduit and other simple materials for under $400. You are doing a really nice job on that tower, and it has really given me some insight on how for the most part it is simple to make those. I'm going to be building a ski rack tower for my boat, and just reading your thread on here has given me the inspiration that I needed. Great job, and I can't wait till you have this tower completely finished. Can't wait to see how well it will look. Although the one question I do have for you is can that conduit be welded with a arc welder? Sadly that's the type of welder that I own, and even more sadly the only type of welder that I'm comfortable using, and also trained to use.

Revenge

Seaman

Do you have any concerns with the removable pin holes in the tubing getting enlarge from the pounding of the waves?

If you ever launch out of Chesapeake Beach remember to remove your rods out of the Rocket launchers because that bridge will wipe them out. Don?t ask me how I know!

Really looking good.

Don.

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

Another idea for the top material is the solid PVC sheets available at lumber yards (not home centers). Should be able to find 4x8 x 1/2" or maybe 1/4" solid PVC. Should conform to the frame, and all you need to do to finish it is to run a router around the edges and paint. 100% water proof and rot proof. Because it is PVC, sheets can be glued up using standard PVC cement used for plumbing fittings.

I used PVC moldings on my hard top project. Glued PVC window channel to PVC molding, then epoxied the PVC to the side of the hard top. It has worked well, and supports the large 1/4" thick tempered glass side windows in their slide tracks. I was worried the first time the boat went through some serious pounding water, but nothing let loose.

BTW, do you know how much the structure weighs?

bigblock454

Petty Officer 1st Class

Hey Guys... hope everybody had a good "fourth"!! I REALLY enjoyed the new top, even if only temporary! Went crabbing all day on the 3rd, and it kept us in the shade quite nicely. Got a bushel, but sure seems that they're slowing down! :( Thought I would take the time to address some who were gracious enough to take the time to give me some ideas.

NetMatrix - I've welded EMT with an arc welder before. It was an AC/DC Lincoln. Never tried with AC, but should be doable if that's all you have. DC tends to make a cleaner (less spatter) job. You could buy a a 110 volt little mig machine and build this top for WAY less than you'd pay for a new top though.... and have a handy lil welder when your finished!!

Revenge - Hah, I know that bridge quite well!! I am concerned about the bolt/pin holes, so I am making sleeve/bushings to be welded in the legs that the bolt/pins will slide through, giving a lot more mass in that area. I'll cut them long, drill legs for them, weld them in, cut and grind down excess. That should do it. Although I observed over the past week, everything fits together pretty tightly, and didn't seem to be any stresses pushing or pulling on my top. I towed with my top (tarp) in place at 65 mph!! Everything still feels very tight. I'll still go through with plans though, as I'll be removing and re-installing many times, and want to keep everything fresh.

Mark42 - Wow, I'll be checking on that pvc material for this, and certainly other projects!! We have a lumber yard (84) nearby, I'll be checking there asap! I don't know how much this structure weighs, but I can easily pick it up, flip it and lift it over my head. I also lift in onto my boat all by myself. Gotta be less than 100 lbs I'd say. I still have more to add to it though, gussetting, ligting, oh and ROCKET LAUNCHERS!! I didn't know that's what we actually call them!! I was thinking that my fellow iboaters were trying to lead me down a troubled path!! :D:D Nice job you did on that bayliner top Mark, not to mention that gorgeous Niagra!!

You bet I will craigman!! Just taking it easy in the heat for now, and enjoying it a little. 100* today, and I'm not doing much outside at all!!

Mick - Always nice to hear from you Bro! Following you along with your build, and can't wait for your big splash!! Real soon!!!

Thanks to all of you for checking in and commenting. Nice to hear all of your ideas!!

Norm II

the Traveler

Cadet

Heyyyyyyyyyyy. Greetings from Tn. I just bought a boat.
My first. yippeeee. It looks just like yours, even same color.
Need seats, have back/to back, but plywood is bad. The boat
is in great shape and putting a 70merc. on it. Will that be too big for this boat? Hope not. Do you carpet floor? or leave it fiberglass? I want it cute. LOL.

Attachments

• Picture 183.jpg
    Picture 183.jpg
    142.1 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

bigblock454

Petty Officer 1st Class

Greetings "the Traveler", and welcome to iboats!! Nice boat!! I've been waiting for a few of these to pop up, as they seem to be built pretty good. Yours certainly appears to be solid. I think a 70 should be good on her. I have a 45hp on mine only because I got it for nothing!! They're rated for 110hp (according to the data plate on the transom). Mine had a blown 135hp Johnson on it when I got it (that must've been fun)!! I hope to replace floor, transom and repower this offseason. I'm not sure what I'm re-powering with yet. Maybe a Merc optimax 90hp. I like my lil boat, and it suits my needs perfectly, as I'm sure you will yours. Sorry haven't written sooner, but I'm a r.r. engineer, and I'm on the extra board (on call), and will be for a bit. Got lots to do, and don't want to use "the plastic" to do it! We can PM just to "shoot the breeze" about each others boats. I'll shoot you my email address. Thanks for the kind "hello"!!

Norm II