skipdogg

skipdogg

Recruit
My son and I bought a 1990 Capri 2250 with an 4.3 Alpha One I/O. Can I get
anyones opinion on that engine and should I install a trim gauge on it? Also
what is the approx. top speed for that engine. We are 1st time boat owners
(I did own some boats when I was younger 1970"s) but times have changed.
We are also looking for a pass through window for this boat since previous
owner just gave us the frame for it said it got broken. Thank you

gcboat

Lieutenant Commander
Re: skipdogg

The 4.3's are really good engines. However yours is now 17 years old and there is no way to ascertain any previous maintenance ( or lack of ). With proper care they are nearly bulletproof. Proper care being the operative word here.
As far as installing a trim gauge it is entirely up to you. It is not necessarily a much needed item. You will with time and experience get the "feel" of where the unit is in relation to how the boat is running, planing, etc. Too much up tilt and she'll start to porpoise. Too much down and she'll plow. Takes a bit of playing.
If you have the frame and it's in good shape then pretty much any auto glass company could possibly make a new one. It's not going to be cheap.
Also eBay might be an alternative but a long shot.
Just guessing but your top speed on that with a couple folks and full tanks should put you in the 40 to 45 m.p.h. bracket. AGAIN, it all depends on the condition of the engine ( tuned up, clean gas, etc. ).
Just a quick story on those 4.3's but my neighbor has a pair in a 26 footer. They are eight years old with over 500 hours on them. They will start and purr like a kitten but also run like a wildcat. But he bought them new and is very anal on maintenance. I like em'.
Have fun with your new toy.

skipdogg

Recruit
Re: skipdogg

Thank you for the reply it is much appreciated. Looking forward to a (michigan) HOT summer. Thanks again.