Magnumdekes 1976 22' Starcraft Islander

Status
Not open for further replies.

magnumdeke

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Magnumdekes 1976 22' Starcraft Islander

Today is all about multi tasking, fell behind this week and I am going to try to make some of it back, lil progect for work that needs to be black by the end of today.
At the blaster

Sitting in paint bay waiting on me to keep her from rusting!

Gets a three part paint job today, self etch, seal prime and top coat.
Boat related, in between coats I will be epoxying, 24 pieces in various stages, good grief there is a lot of wood in my Islander!

Meanwhile my buddy is out doing this while I work

Maybe tomorrow I will fish!

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

It's nice to have a large space to lay out all the wood and fish. :) That is a lotta wood!

magnumdeke

Chief Petty Officer

progress
coat of epoxy, ahh duh why have I not been using a roller all this time, much faster!!!!!! Better coverage per cup also.

Forgot about the front clip prep I had to do, 2 fenders,hood,fascia.

Trailer SE primed, alum clips on my bow piece also

MULTI TASK AWAY!!!!!!

magnumdeke

Chief Petty Officer

wood all has two coats yesterday, trailer is black, and bow piece is primed,

Will make some more progress today, boring epoxy work. Foam from us composites should be here tomorrow or Tuesday allowing us to get the floor done and ready for vinyl, still not sure on the fill the whole hull with foam thing, going to do some looking and staring to see if I can seal my bilge up appropriately to make it work. I do have the hdpe boards i bought for the back that could be re purposed into a waterproof bilge./???!!! Problem would be getting to where it needs to be, between the stingers under the floor against the back of the floatation box i made between the stringers. oh well I digress, lil more thinking before pouring foam.
Just looking forward to starting finish work on the interior.

magnumdeke

Chief Petty Officer

Today the wood got 2 coats of epoxy on the other side, this batch of 24 is done, ready for it's life on a boat.
Back to the bilge and foam, had this hole under to allow drainage, to bad my foam got away from me on the side wall pour and ran down the ribs and filled the limber holes, screwed!

So I am thinking fill it all, boat barely going to have enough floatation doing the math anyways so fill her up. Gotta seal the bilge area where I want the water to go from my foam, so I cut a pattern out of wood and fitted it and then cut the real piece out of HDPE, and installed it. Also ran a pipe for floor drainage up front in the cuddy.

Caulked all around and stainless screws with drain tube run front to back, looks good I think!

Well what do the Iboater's think, not optimal but trying to make chicken salad out of a chicken poop mistake!

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

If I were in your shoes, I'd fill er right up with foam and keep her dry as best you can:thumb:

I like chicken salad!:hungry:

djpeters

Lieutenant Commander

My boat was well used for 31 years by the PO. I know he fished in the rain and kept it moored to his houseboat too. I only had a teeny tiny bit of wet foam when I dug it all out. I wouldn't sweat it.

magnumdeke

Chief Petty Officer

No more limber hole worries, she has a fully foamed hul. Next is sanding and fairing the floor. Hopefully going to get top prepped for paint.

magnumdeke

Chief Petty Officer

progress, stripped paint off bow and rest of cap, made a nice mess,

Lot of paint come off, thick coat of blue, some orange????? then Starcraft blue and self etch, nice mess

Logan started fairing the floor and getting rid of foam remnants

I moved on to assembling my rear sear back

magnumdeke

Chief Petty Officer

more seat back pics

getting crazy with sealing the screws

Got all w=excited and figured out how to lay some nautolex on the bench seat back, will have a door installed evemtually, piece of carpet to see how the colors worked

should work well!

dozerII

Admiral

Looking good Mag, when is your planned splash?

magnumdeke

Chief Petty Officer

Looking good Mag, when is your planned splash?

I don't think it is time to think about that yet!

BUUUT I do like fireworks1:peep:

On another note, I really want a tandem trailer and the one's I have are a little short with the pod, moved all the way forward boat is close to the coupler. Bought some tube to extend the tounge and am re building another trailer at work, 8x14 deck on it and the pair of 3500# axles are a little light for the job so i am putting 7000# axles back under it. Got me a set of axles.

I will have to shorten them up and reseal and bearings, price is right though. future project !!!!

magnumdeke

Chief Petty Officer

Got to have the rear bench assembly in for the top cap to go on, so i assembled it today and covered it up.

hinge hid nicely

Some gaps hard to cover with nautolex, I am definitely not an upholsterer. It is what it is.

and sitting in the boat,

Carpet just sitting in there for looks, I like it.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

When you drive by on the galloping horse, I won't see the small gaps. :) All in all, the vinyl looks good, MD.

djpeters

Lieutenant Commander

Man, you're cranking on that thing!

Status
Not open for further replies.