Lower unit oil bolt siezed

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral
Re: Lower unit oil bolt siezed

that all depends on if it was just run or had been sitting.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Because of what they are used for the correct terms are: for that "screw", plug, and for that "washer", gasket.

Take the advice given above and replace the gasket every time the plug is removed. When tightening the plug, used just enough torque to crush the gasket but not destroy it. I use finger tight plus 1/4 turn.

Your original trouble was probably caused by overtorqueing the plug on an old gasket in an attempt to seal it.

Also: PLEASE tell us what machine you are working on so that we can move this thread to the proper forum.

robert graham

Admiral

Maybe best to not use that Impact Driver to replace the screw/plugs, as they generate a lot of torque...maybe enough to strip out the threads in that aluminum lower unit casing or break the top off the screw/plug....just good and darn snug should be fine. I've always used a large "gorilla" screw driver and I've filed the tip of the blade to fit that slot perfectly with no slop at all...works just fine. Good Luck!:)

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

I agree--impacts are for removal, not installation. And a special-cut screwdriver (or one about 3' long) is the best thing to use.

You can aslo put pliers on a screwdriver for more oomph.

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

Also: PLEASE tell us what machine you are working on so that we can move this thread to the proper forum.

why would it matter what brand motor he has, when all lower units as far as his issues, are the same?
Or if it's an outboard, why sort it by brand

Even though the main outboard thread is called "non-repair" 80% of the discussion is about repairs and maintenance (as that is what most performance questions are) but the make is irrelevant.
or maybe a "non-brand specific repair" thread?

Just a suggestion; it would be a big improvement over spreading general questions into the makes and then having them missed. Or better, it's working well this way, ignore the minor infractions.

Others agree?

JEBar

Chief Petty Officer

Since you had removal problems........... be certain to replace the special washer that goes on the fill and drain screws

are those washers/gaskets dealer only parts or are they pretty standard

Jim

robert graham

Admiral

why would it matter what brand motor he has, when all lower units as far as his issues, are the same?
Or if it's an outboard, why sort it by brand

Even though the main outboard thread is called "non-repair" 80% of the discussion is about repairs and maintenance (as that is what most performance questions are) but the make is irrelevant.
or maybe a "non-brand specific repair" thread?

Just a suggestion; it would be a big improvement over spreading general questions into the makes and then having them missed. Or better, it's working well this way, ignore the minor infractions.

Others agree?
Yep, most oil drain plugs I've seen have been just big Slot head screws/plugs....I have seen some aftermarket drain plugs with Allen/Hex heads...always seemed like a better idea to me than the slot heads, but the outboard manufacturers like 'em???:confused:

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Your suggestion makes sense, as far as it goes, HC, but it fails to honor the title of this forum, which includes, "NOT ENGINE TOPICS". This thread is an engine topic so it needs to be in an engine related forum.

Failing to identify the engine in the topic I will move this to Outboard Non-repair, and remind you of rule #9.

9. If you have questions, concerns, suggestions or complaints about the rules, moderation, or management of this site please contact a moderator via PM or iboats management for discussion. It is forbidden to debate these rules or their enforcement in the forum.