Flooding Problem

CHAPARALLMAN

Cadet
I Am New To This Forum And Am Building My First Outboard Engine.
Its A 73-79 Evinrude 70 Hp Hustler 3 Cylinder 4 Stroke.
Finally Got It Running And Sounds Ok But Wont Run Unless Choke Is On,when Choke Is Turned Off It Runs For A Min And Then Shuts Off.
Acts Like Its Flooding Out.
Does Anyone Know What I Might Check?
Thanks In Advance.

bktheking

Vice Admiral
Re: Flooding Problem

I Am New To This Forum And Am Building My First Outboard Engine.
Its A 73-79 Evinrude 70 Hp Hustler 3 Cylinder 4 Stroke.
Finally Got It Running And Sounds Ok But Wont Run Unless Choke Is On,when Choke Is Turned Off It Runs For A Min And Then Shuts Off.
Acts Like Its Flooding Out.
Does Anyone Know What I Might Check?
Thanks In Advance.

It's either flooding out or the exact opposite, not getting enough fuel. If it will run perfectly with the choke on and won't run with it off sounds like the carbs need servicing, the motor isn't getting enough fuel and then dies. Did you test it for longer than a minute with the choke on?

CHAPARALLMAN

Cadet

All Three Carbs Were Compleetly Torn Down And Cleaned Last Night, They Are Working Properly Except For Previous Issue.
Iv Also Checked Fuel From Tank To Fuel Plug(good),fuel From Plug To Diafram(good),from Diafram To Carb(good),and The Line That Conects All Three Carbs(good),there Dosent Seem To Be Any Fuel Blockage From Tang To Carbs Which Is Why I Suspect A Carb Issue But I Cleaned Thilm Myself And They Were Verry Clean And In Good Shape. This Is Not My First Carb Experiance So I Like To Think I Know A Bit About Thilm, Butttt!!! Maby Not.
Thanks For Any Advice

bktheking

Vice Admiral

Have you tried pumping the primer bulb while the choke is open and about to die, maybe a fuel delivery problem. What is the compression of the motor?

CHAPARALLMAN

Cadet

Have Not Tried That Put I Will.
Also Have Not Put A Guage On It Yet, Only Had It 2 Days.
Man That Sold It To Me Said He Had It On A 20 Ft Pontoon And It Ran Fine When He Took It Off 6 Mos Or So Ago.

Im Using A 11 Gal Tank From Walmart With A Quick Conect On The Tank And A Brand New Bulb.

bktheking

Vice Admiral

Also Wanted To Say That Even After It Dies The Bulb Is Still Tight

I think you mean hard, anyways it shouldn't be, the bulbs lose the firmness after the motor runs, the fuel pump takes over, pumping the bulb till hard simply fills the bowls in the carb for cold start. You have a fuel delivery issue plain and simple. Plugged filter, wrong float level, dirty high speed jets, bad venting from the tank, arrow pointing the wrong way on the fuel line (look at the bulb for correct direction) just to name a few suggestions.

And you have quite the year spread and I think it's a 2 stroke and not a 4. Can you post a proper model number for us?

Thanks

CHAPARALLMAN

Cadet

Where Can I Find A Model # At?
Even The Guy I Got It From Didnt Know What Year It Is

bktheking

Vice Admiral

Where Can I Find A Model # At?
Even The Guy I Got It From Didnt Know What Year It Is

On the transom clamps there should be tag with the model on it, it might be painted over and may require some sanding to bring out the stamped model. Second choice is a number stamped on a plug on the power head, silver plug, looks like a frost plug (it's not)

bktheking

Vice Admiral

I Do Not Think The Tank Is Even Vinted

Is it a built in to the boat tank or portable omc tank? Built in are self venting , OMC portable may have a screw in the cap, it has to vent or it won't run for long.

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

The Hustler model is not a 4 stroke. Most likely it's a mid 70's model 2 stroke. If you have not been adding oil to the gas there may be basic issues.

Start with a compression test. Post the results before we go any further.

CHAPARALLMAN

Cadet

Sorry Fellas I Typed Wrong, Its A 2 Stroke.
I Checked The Tank And It Is Vented On The Cap But It Was Closed So I Opened It To No Avail.
I Also Did The Pump As It Dies Thing And Also No Good.

Just Went Out And Did All That And Changed The Fuel Lines To The Engine From The Tank And The Fuel Plug That Goes To The Side Of The Engine, No Good Either

Bulb Is Still Hard After Dies

CHAPARALLMAN

Cadet

I Do Not Have A Compression Guage On Hand Now But I Have Done The Thumb Over The Hole Trick And All Cylinders Seem To Have Good Compression.

CHAPARALLMAN

Cadet

More Pics

Attachments

• IMG00353.jpg
    IMG00353.jpg
    121.3 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG00352.jpg
    IMG00352.jpg
    141 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG00351.jpg
    IMG00351.jpg
    116.4 KB · Views: 0

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

by your description its not a tank vent or primer bulb nor is it flooding. flooding indicates an over rich fuel mix.
your describing lean.
by choking your bypassing the idle fuel circuits forcing the carb to feed a rich air fuel ratio into the intake.
let the choke off and now the mix goes so lean it dies.
if it runs with the choke on it indicates we have fuel in the fuel bowls.
maybe not enough due to incorrect float setting or maybe the idle fuel pick up tube is clogged or a main jet is stopped up.
idle fuel flows through the main jet on that engine.

CHAPARALLMAN

Cadet

I Know It Is Not The Fuel Pickup Tube Becouse When The Carbs Were Apart I Blew Air From My Compressor Threw All The Passages Including The Pickup Tube And There Were No Blockages.
What Should The Oil Fuel Mixture Be? Do U Know?