Lower Susquehanna

john3931

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Lower Susquehanna

Looked at weather this morning. 15-20 mph winds gusts up to 30mph this afternoon. :(

dgopetactical

Chief Petty Officer

Looked at weather this morning. 15-20 mph winds gusts up to 30mph this afternoon. :(

A great day to be on the river......................NOT.....we went down to the firemens club in Goldsboro (lake frederick) for a few drinks and lunch, the river did not look good at all...white caps on the river OH_MY:eek: counted a few tiny boats going to the cabins on the islands thats it, and they were having a rough time.
Denny

DevWin

Recruit

Just thought I would let you guys know the docks at Lock 2 aren't in yet, but they are staged by the shore to be put in. They moved them there yesterday and I am sure they will go in sometime this week.

john3931

Petty Officer 1st Class

Just thought I would let you guys know the docks at Lock 2 aren't in yet, but they are staged by the shore to be put in. They moved them there yesterday and I am sure they will go in sometime this week.

Sweet!!! I was down the other day and they were no where around.
Thanks for letting us know.

FFScott6

Petty Officer 2nd Class

FINALLY... Some nice weekend weather! We're launching tomorrow (my Borther and I) late morning, well closer to lunch, from H/G. I made some tune up changes and want to stay close to shore. We'll mostly be north, past garrett Island, towards the dam. If things (tune up) are good we may retreive and go in north of the dam (I recall someone saying Lapidium has a nice ramp) and run some deep water for a couple hours up to the power plant before heading home.

Hope everyone has a good day out there! Would like to meet some of you at Lake Clarke over the summer! Maybe in the Chesapeake flats.

Scott & Dot

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Anyone know anything about the Goldsboro (Lake Frederick) area of the river? I'm wondering if I could run my 18' in there or if I should stick with my dad's little 14' tinny.

john3931

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thinking about head to Lake Clarke this afternoon. What do you think the conditions will be? If anyone is out, let me know how it is.

DevWin

Recruit

Thinking about head to Lake Clarke this afternoon. What do you think the conditions will be? If anyone is out, let me know how it is.
It is supposed to be blowing some today. And yesterday with that storm, tons of crap got washed out of the creeks. Trees, basketballs, coolers, and random garbage. And that is just what I saw standing there watching it.

dgopetactical

Chief Petty Officer

Anyone know anything about the Goldsboro (Lake Frederick) area of the river? I'm wondering if I could run my 18' in there or if I should stick with my dad's little 14' tinny.

There is some rocks and hidden sholes. Your boats will be fine..average 5 ft water now 3 in the summer, great fishing..i would love to go there im only 3 miles away but i dont want to risk it my boat needs more than 3 ft to get on plane im a little heavy in the rear....looking at a 16 bowrider with a 85 hp merc tomorrow just for the purpose to take there....i see alot of jons,toons,and small bowriders there thats it. Youll be fine.
Denny

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Thanks Denny. I think we're going to take the little 14' there tomorrow and scope it out.

dgopetactical

Chief Petty Officer

Thanks Denny. I think we're going to take the little 14' there tomorrow and scope it out.

your welcome EZ,

we were down there walking around yesterday and I was talking to a few regulars that stay on the islands, basicly all they said is the place can be tricky and the water level is important (high now). Late in the summer you can walk to the islands, some nice cruising channels along the island. And if your looking streight out from the boat ramp there is a rocky shole half way out @ about 2:00 that im told eats skegs on a regular basis. I was told the marina has a map of the good and bad areas.

I put a jon boat in there many many years ago (20) and never had a issue but you could see bottom everywhere you went .. I guess you gotta just learn the terain like everywhere else. Most likely im making it sound worse than what it is..Have fun and let us know how it was,
Denny

dgopetactical

Chief Petty Officer

Well good news,
Better late than never I finaly got the boat tweeked up for the season, I will be out on lake clake H*ll or high water on the 22 to see if it still floats LOL at this time they are calling for temps in the 80's. Cant wait.
Denny

FFScott6

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Good Sunday morning!

We made it out yesterday from H/G up to Port Deposit, thru anchor and ate a sandwich then headed back to the head of the Bay. Cruised by Tidewater Grille (checked out the "parking spaces" for a luch trip one of these days). Then out to the flats and back to H/G to retrieve. All in all a great afternoon!

My tune up was nearly spot on, need to readjust low speed idle to prevent fouling but high speed was on the money. (managed 25knots with a 50yo 60hp Gale and a 47yo 17' f/g AristoCraft). We are more into the mid range cruising but i know I have a bit left to make a quick run if I want.

Brother and I are going to check out Lake Clake soon. Since we're in Parkesburg and Coatesville it's close to home.

Happy boating for those going out today!!!

john3931

Petty Officer 1st Class

Down for the count for a while. Engine mounted circulating pump is leaking and engine started to get hot. :(

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Took the little boat out at Goldsboro today. LOVED it! Really neat area. We covered a good amount of area today depsite only having a 4HP. There were lots of decent sized V-hulls out so I think I'd be OK taking the Starcraft there as long as I stuck to the open areas. "Lake Frederick" is really neat. There are numerous islands and instead of being all posted no trespassing like every island I've ever seen....they have little parks and picnic areas and boat docks! How cool! There were like 2 or 3 of them. Can't wait to go back with the big boat.

Planning on going out at Conowingo over Memorial Day weekend. That's a great place to go to avoid the craziness as it doesn't get real busy. Plus my uncle has a cottage there.

dgopetactical

Chief Petty Officer

Ez
Glad to hear you had a great time..the public islands thing sounds neat. Wish i had a smaller boat. Just a little leary to take my boat, its allergic to shallow water. My skeg drags in 3 ft of of water with the drive up.
Denny

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Yeah Denny I think your boat would be pushing it. My 18' outboard aluminum with power trim should be ok. When my boat is done anyone is welcome to come exploring. I want to check out Lake Aldred as well but that will also be scouted with my dad's boat. I hope to have my boat done by memorial day weekend.

john3931

Petty Officer 1st Class

Yeah Denny I think your boat would be pushing it. My 18' outboard aluminum with power trim should be ok. When my boat is done anyone is welcome to come exploring. I want to check out Lake Aldred as well but that will also be scouted with my dad's boat. I hope to have my boat done by memorial day weekend.

At the rate I am going, you are going to beat me in the water.:(