Help! '95 Volvo Penta SX Disassembly

blsfla1

Recruit
Need to replace seals and O rings in lower unit, am waiting for manual to arrive. Can't wait, does anyone have experience? I've removed two retainers but still can't remove prop shaft. Is prop shaft housing threaded at front end or am I missing something? Pressed fit? Same for drive shaft, my diagram shows a retainer, is it threaded? Also, are used lower unit cases available? Mine is pretty bunged up; someone at some point drilled out the drain plug and it's tough to get a good seal.

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner
Re: Help! '95 Volvo Penta SX Disassembly

undo the Torx bit retainer at the aft upper port side, then remove the 3/8 headed bolt retainer at the upper all the way back at the end of the cavity. then use the correct tool to unthread the carrier from the housing.
its a standard left hand thread but as it torques to like 200Ft pounds and saltwater is not nice it may take a 3/4 breaker bar and a piece of pipe with a bit of smoke tossed in.

blsfla1

Recruit
Re: Help! '95 Volvo Penta SX Disassembly

Thanks, unfortunately that's about what I expected to hear. Without the right tool I doubt I can apply enough torque to unscrew the darn thing. Now to find the tool. Again, thanks.