Looking for help 12' v Mirrorcraft "Unstable"

Toney100

Cadet
I just launched my 12' v 1960's Mirrorcraft. I have put a floor in and motor and alot of other things. New to boating, WE where both pretty nervous just real tippy or I dont know? We tried to keep material weight down but we think mabye not enough weight in bow. Thinking of putting 40# in front 20# on each side are we wrong? Back of boat pretty stable I think, water was glass. any help would be great I have a camera full of pic's but dont have a clue how to show them, please tell

Last edited:

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner
Re: Looking for help 12' v Mirrorcraft "Unstable"

Yes we will need some pics to see your modifications. It's not at all hard to make a 12' tippy.

The first three threads in the non-boating technical topics section explain how to post pictures.

boatflipper

Chief Petty Officer

I agree with ezmobee-
If this is your first boat, the 12 footer will definitely feel tipsy to you. I had a 12' v-hull (probably identical to yours) and it was tipsy for me as well. Just something you have to get used to! Having said that, maybe it was overly tipsy and one of your modifications is causing it. Just get a photobucket account, use the link code for 'full-size pics in forums' and post the code right here in your post!
Good luck!!

Bondo

Staff member

Thinking of putting 40# in front 20# on each side are we wrong?

Ayuh,... I've got the same hull,.. It Ain't very big,...
Adding MORE Weight will be counter-productive...

It sounds like you're trying to build the illusion of a Big boat, starting with Way too small of a hull...

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

my best advice is stay in the center and stay stilll.

Wishiniwuzfishin

Chief Petty Officer

I've got an old 12' v Sea King. If yours is similar to mine (40'' wide at transom, 48" widest beam measured at top of sides, and about 17-18" at its deepest inside)...like others have said, it is going to be "tippy". I also don't think adding weight will help, you'll just have less freeboard. It took me several trips out on it to figure out best placement for gas tank, anchor, other equipment etc. The most important thing I have learned is to have everything where I want it before going out on the water. I don't want to be trying to move things around once I am on the water. I usually go out by myself and the boat works out great for me. The good things are...easy towing and easy launching and retrieving and I only need a 5HP motor.

Toney100

Cadet

I added weight just put to landscape stones in front.
we could not believe it. I was in lake Michagan standing up casting. I will put a new post with pics. I have been trying

avimgod

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I added weight just put to landscape stones in front.
we could not believe it. I was in lake Michagan standing up casting. I will put a new post with pics. I have been trying

I was going to recommend a few landscaping stones, easy to move around, relatively dense and most importantly they are cheap!

I will be using 2 5 gallon buckets full of concrete (approx 150 lbs each) to weigh mine down for the remainder of the refit, and after the refit will be using them as ballast weight to get the balance right... but I am working with 20 feet of boat with an 8 foot beam... I am pretty sure I have more boat in the water at rest than you have boat so mine is for balance of the boat more than stability while moored...

Good luck, and remember the weight you add takes away from the people and gear you can carry...

bigskiohio

Master Chief Petty Officer

a floor would help spread the weight unless you have one in it.

McGR

Senior Chief Petty Officer

You're saying that you are using your tippy 12 footer on Lake Michigan? Casting lures yet? .... I hope you were joking. I'm afraid to take my deep V 17 footer out on Michigan.

Toney100

Cadet

I have been trying to show pics. I followed all the steps in the video but its not working. I can't get the image to show just what you see below.
This is 1 photo if some one can tell me whats wrong, please do.Thanks

DSC00163.jpg

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

You have a very shallow small boat. Nature of the beast. Not a boat I'd stand up in.

Toney100

Cadet

Heres the rest of the pics os far.

DSC00165.jpg

DSC00181.jpg

DSC00184.jpg

DSC00166.jpg

Toney100

Cadet

Bob I followed all steps 1 by 1. I dont know how I even got the 1 to show.

D

DJ

You have a VERY small boat. Adding 150 lbs. is going to put you at about 150 lbs. over its capacity.

You are using the wrong link from Photobucket or wherever you are posting your pic's from.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

Fixed your pictures......... no charge :D

When you click the image box it already has the http:// in the box and when you are pasting in the picture url it already has that...... SO when you click the image icon eliminate the http:// that appears then paste ;)