Lone Star Malibu repower

eclipseturbors

Petty Officer 2nd Class
So I've been on again and off again with working on my 1958 Malibu. Long story short, I decided to repower the old boat after finding "poor craftsmanship" by the previous owner in the transom area. Like the whole thing. I ran across a very affordable 50hp Chrysler built FORCE with title. My problem is that the Chrysler will sit too low on the transom only by an inch it looks like. Will a mini jack plate solve this issue? Also, will I run into issues with the cable pulley steering? I appreciate all opinions. The boat has had alot of bumps and bruises, but it has fins. And fins are cool according to my fiance!

fhhuber

Lieutenant
The issue with the cable steering will be finding the plate to bolt on the engine if the one you have does not fit.

I made my own plate for a Evenrude 35 on a Lonestar 14 ft runabout.
(not sure of model name... had the front appx 1/4 deck , OEM dash and steering wheel, could tell the windshield belonged there, but long gone)

eclipseturbors

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have the bracket for the steering to the motor and think it should work. I was more worried about the steering binding. I built a jack plate awhile back for a long shaft 18hp Merc on my little V bottom 14ft Lowe. I've never seen anyone use a jack plate on an old boat like this one. The boat tag shows to be rated for 60hp. I doubt this FORCE is going to offer a ton of power. lol

fhhuber

Lieutenant
The jack plate could cause problems...

And require a custom steering pully plate.

jbcurt00

Staff member
IMO, +/- 1 above or below the keel isnt going to effect boat/motor performance enough for 99% of casual boaters to even notice.

Your Malibu is a great looking boat that you should enjoy cruising in. The extra 1in deep just means you need to watch running in shallow water.

If the 1in deeper skeg is a problem in skinny water, dont go in to that shallow an area.

Not ALL transoms or motors EXACTLY follow the 15in Short or 20in Long dimensions. Often design and LOOK outweighed the 15~20in concern.

If the Force runs and you can hookup the cable/pulley RUN it ;) If it doesnt run, doesnt run great dont. If the cable system wont easily adapt to the motor, swap to a newer, modern steering system, well under 200 all in.

Last edited:

eclipseturbors

Petty Officer 2nd Class
The transom sits in this "sill" looking thing. The motor bracket won't clear it by like an inch. The Chrysler is a short shaft motor. I don't want to cut the sill bracket.

eclipseturbors

Petty Officer 2nd Class
The more I look at it and the cost involved, I'm going to just look around for a big twin 40 or maybe a modern 35hp of sorts. I just doesn't make sense to modify, cut, drill, fit, refit, cuss, and cut into my beer funds for a boat we just want to cruise around in. The cable steering is in pretty good shape and I planned to replace the cable and just clean it up. I'll hang onto the Chrysler and put a starter in it when I get time (starter is shorted).

eclipseturbors

Petty Officer 2nd Class
No Title

The motor bracket is 9" to the bottom hole. There is a second hole on the motor bracket below 9" hole at 11" or so. I can try to get a picture of it.

Attachments

• photo241914.jpg
    photo241914.jpg
    79.3 KB · Views: 0