My first boat project: 1960 Lonestar Malibu

mwhorseman

Cadet
Found this poor thing sitting abandoned out by someone's forgotten barn. It was full of garbage, leaves, and water. We recently moved to a lake so figured I'd take it in and give it a home. The trailer was shot so just threw it in the back of a truck and put it in my garage. This is where I originally found it:

IMAG0168.jpg

IMAG0169.jpg

mwhorseman

Cadet
Re: My first boat project: 1960 Lonestar Malibu

Here's what it looked like after I got the garbage and a lot of the leaves out of it sitting in my garage:

IMAG0170.jpg

IMAG0171.jpg

IMAG0173.jpg

IMAG0174.jpg

IMAG0175.jpg

IMAG0178.jpg

mwhorseman

Cadet

I think the transom might not be good anymore. What do you think?

IMAG0428.jpg

mwhorseman

Cadet

Took everything off and started cleaning it up. Drilling rivets out really made me nervous. I have a friend on the other side of the lake with a rivet gun he used on aircraft. That helped make me less nervous about it.

IMAG0429.jpg

IMAG0430.jpg
G]

mwhorseman

Cadet

Found some Johnson controls on craigslist for $50 so I snagged them. Looked like they were in decent shape.

IMAG0431.jpg

mwhorseman

Cadet

Rebuilt the transom out of Cyprus. Looked on the internet and found approximately 2 billion different opinions on what wood to use and how to prepare it. Couldn't decide so I talked to the guy at this specialty wood shop here and he said Cyprus should do good if I put some acetone on it to dry it out and paint it a few times so that the paint soaks in good. Hey, if it doesn't work I get to have fun rebuilding it again right? :rolleyes:

IMAG0438.jpg

62 ROYAL SCOTT

Petty Officer 1st Class

HELL-O mwhorseman go back and get the trailer it can be fixed too. any boat needs a trailer and it's alot better than your back

mwhorseman

Cadet

After I scraped everything loose off of it I started priming the bare metal areas. I'm by no means an expert at painting. My wife won't even let me paint in the house so we'll see how this goes. The same friend with the rivet gun has paint sprayers and such.

IMAG0439.jpg

IMAG0441.jpg

IMAG0442.jpg

It's s start. I'll post more as I get more done.

yabuoy

Seaman

Cool boat. You probably saved it from the recyclers. What was the original color? Judging by the interior, maybe coral color?

GT1000000

Rear Admiral

Nice score, but I agree with Royal Scott...go back and get the trailer...as long as the basic frame is good, it might be cheaper to rebuild as opposed to buying a good one??? Maybe...

Oh yeah, and did you get a title for the boat???, I hope so...

Good Luck,
GT1M

64osby

Admiral

I love the fins, great lines. Nice Lone * Star.

Have fun the project.

mxcobra

Chief Petty Officer

dude that is one sweet @@2 boat!

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Yep, titles are important. I'm pretty sure what you have is a 1958 Lonestar "Malibu". Windshields are hard to come by. Also when painting aluminum it is extremely important to acid wash it first and then prime with Self Etching primer. Then Prime over everything with Bare Metal Primer. The link in my signature below will give you some good info on painting your boat. By the way, I have the "Fiberglass" version of your boat. 1960 Lonestar "Flamingo".

mwhorseman

Cadet

No title. I can go ask the guy if he's got it. He just lives down the road. I don't know that there was an original color on it. The top half of it was bare metal. The bottom half looked sloppily painted white. The lake I live on has a horsepower restriction so I can't do 35hp but a 15 would be good. Been watching craigslist and ebay for 15hp 1960's Johnsons. Oh, and I think I was already looking at your 1960 Flamingo. Was trying to gather what the speedometer and steering wheels looked like on the 1960's.

mwhorseman

Cadet

Oh, forgot to say this but the lake I live on is a private lake so I don't need to license/title the boat unless it's going to another lake.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

That's a super cool hull.