Latest Mass Shooting

rbh

Fleet Admiral
Re: Latest Mass Shooting

Sorry QC I just have to ask-

Why in the world "for the most part" it is kids killing kids in these situations? (20 is not that far removed, in this day and age)

Whats the difference between now and when I grew up?

QC

Supreme Mariner

I don't see your question as political charged. Discussing gun control, or armed teachers is.

I would say kids killed kids when you were young as well. Maybe not as often, but it happened.

V153

Lieutenant Commander

What's truly a shame is that none of the school staff were equipped or prepared to repel deadly force with deadly force. I really think we need to re-examine the logic behind that.

Prayers to the families.

Mod comment: Guys let's not go here as it is how this thread will go downhill. Let's leave this thread as simply respectful to the lost :(
My lips are sealed. I've learned not to utter the "G" word 'round here ...

Can you imagine dropping your pre-schooler off & getting a call a few hours later informing you that he/she had been shot & killed by some psychopath?

My heart & tears go out to the families.

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral

Whats the difference between now and when I grew up?

Violent combat type video games.

Go to where any one of these young shooters lives and I guarantee you will find a lot of them and the controller well worn.

waterinthefuel

Commander

Violent combat type video games.

Go to where any one of these young shooters lives and I guarantee you will find a lot of them and the controller well worn.

There isn't a known video game out there that depicts killing children.

Video games kill people like spoons made Rosie O'Donnell fat.

V153

Lieutenant Commander

There isn't a known video game out there that depicts killing children.

Video games kill people like spoons made Rosie O'Donnell fat.
Which perfectly answers the question why there are so many fat effers & child killers these days ...

Fwiw I like to play chess, a lot. Sometimes catch myself executing moves in real life. Should I quit?

WIMUSKY

Staff member

At my daughters basketball game tonite they had a moment of silence for the victims before the game started. You could of heard a pin drop in the gym.........

I see a comment about video games. We have no idea why this happened so we need to stop speculating.

Let me quote a Mod if I may:
Mod comment: Guys let's not go here as it is how this thread will go downhill. Let's leave this thread as simply respectful to the lost

Tail_Gunner

Admiral

A personal opinion...If anyone does not believe in good or evil.. and i have had my doubt's... today has brought clarity to my world, I cannot find words to express my thought's because they are feeling's. Know longer will i deny evil for myself, it is a fact. i have searched the net.. the bible for hours looking for something that bring's releif or clarity and have found nothing.

We as human's are capable of extroidanry example's of selfness for the betterment of humantiy and along with that act's that revolt the human soul. Tonight i say a prayer for mankind in my own feeling's and can only hope thourgh faith that they are being heard.

Today the very foundation of humanity was violated..say a prayer for humanity... the parents childern... sister's...brother's.... aunts.... uncles.... freinds.... the next door neighbor all of us

southkogs

Staff member

...We have no idea why this happened so we need to stop speculating.
Indeed. It will be some time before any potential causes (let alone real ones) can be seriously considered. I haven't yet found any words of value to apply to the whole thing, except to offer condolences to the families and pray for healing and comfort.

V153

Lieutenant Commander

A personal opinion...If anyone does not believe in good or evil.. and i have had my doubt's... today has brought clarity to my world, I cannot find words to express my thought's because they are feeling's. Know longer will i deny evil for myself, it is a fact. i have searched the net.. the bible for hours looking for something that bring's releif or clarity and have found nothing.

We as human's are capable of extroidanry example's of selfness for the betterment of humantiy and along with that act's that revolt the human soul. Tonight i say a prayer for mankind in my own feeling's and can only hope thourgh faith that they are being heard.

Today the very foundation of humanity was violated..say a prayer for humanity... the parents childern... sister's...brother's.... aunts.... uncles.... freinds.... the next door neighbor all of us
Edit: Politically and religiously charged - QC

I have to wonder just how many more 'new lows' the public will tolerate. Mebbe it's just me but has anyone else noticed how miscreants & scumbags & Kardashians, etc seem to dominate the airwaves? I think they're in competition with each other for the highest body count.

Personally I find psychopaths fascinating. Have researched & written about them extensively. Ed Gein is my all time favorite. He said that whenever he met a girl he wasn't quite sure whether he should ask her for a date, or strangle her. Having been married once, and involved in a few relationships since. I kinda see where he was coming from ...

But this new breed goes above & beyond what any self respecting old school psycho would consider acceptable. Even they didn't massacre children indiscriminately.

So sad.

ngt

Master Chief Petty Officer

As a 1st grade teacher, this type of thing scares the sh** out of me. We have an open campus, no security checks, and something like this could easily happen at any school in the county. Someone could walk into any classroom on just about any school around here and open fire before anyone knew they were there.

Something that really bothers me is the amount of attention this gets from the news. Want to be noticed? Remembered? Make a statement? Shoot up a school and kill kids. I think they should make policies never to mention the person's name and give them no recognition or fame (if you can call it that) for what they've done. Talk about it, the loss, and the victims, but leave the killer nameless and forgotten.

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral

Something that really bothers me is the amount of attention this gets from the news. Want to be noticed? Remembered? Make a statement? Shoot up a school and kill kids. I think they should make policies never to mention the person's name and give them no recognition or fame (if you can call it that) for what they've done. Talk about it, the loss, and the victims, but leave the killer nameless and forgotten.

... and I really don't think this tragedy even needs mentioning here on iboats. It's already plastered all over every type of media there is.

There's nothing anybody here can say or do that's going to make this any better or make it go away. There's other places this can be talked about, but it's not going to do any good to talk about it there either.

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

Another senseless tragedy. My families condolences, thoughts and prayers are with all concerned.

aspeck

Staff member

Ngt, I agree with you. Jig, I disagree about the thread here. Multiple threads are not necessary, but one thread where people have a chance to express some of their thoughts and feelings can be healing and helpful. It can also give perspective and assist when faced with others with the same thoughts and feelings expressed here.

It was, and is, extremely sad. Yes, there is evil in the world. Yes, people make bad choices for whatever reason. Perhaps, as a society, we make too many decisions for people, limiting the development of their decision making skills. Maybe as a society we glorify death and killing too much, be it attention to killers, glorified violence on tv (really hard to watch a show where someone is not killed), maybe through violent games? Maybe all young people should have to go hunting once and see the reality of what a bullet does? There are a lot of questions, but no answers yet, and probably never will be, why this young man killed his mother, then shot up her school and 20 innocent children.

Suffice it to say my heart greaves for the children and parents, and the community of Sandy Hook. Thoughts and prayers go upward for all of them.

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral

I think iboats should be our "Happy Place" and not a place of mourning or gloom.

WIMUSKY

Staff member

Ngt, I agree with you. Jig, I disagree about the thread here. Multiple threads are not necessary, but one thread where people have a chance to express some of their thoughts and feelings can be healing and helpful. It can also give perspective and assist when faced with others with the same thoughts and feelings expressed here.

Amen brother!

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral

My heart is broken, this event and the event in Oregon the other days has really shaken me, my Daughter and Grandson were at the Mall where the shooting occurred, fortunately they got out safely.

My wife and I wish to express our deepest condolences to everyone, such a needless loss of life. Finding a happy place anywhere after this is difficult.