Just found out our first boat has rot...how bad is this?

faithful

Seaman Apprentice
We just bought our first boat and while cleaning it up after taking it out for the first time, I found that the bottom of the ski locker in the front is rotten. There was carpet in there so we didn't notice it when we bought it. The boat is a 1994 Regal Valanti 202se with a 4.3 MerCriuser I/O with 360 hours on it. We found that there is about a 8 to 10 inch section under the rub rail towards the front that is completely missing the caulking. Could this have caused the problem? Here are some pictures of the locker
IMG_1273.jpg:facepalm:

IMG_1280.jpgThe 2x4 at the top is supposed to support the edge of the fiberglass bow area where it meets the carpet. I could crumble this with my hand.

IMG_1270.jpgThe back part seems pretty solid yet.

Here is a link to photobucket where there are a lot more pictures. Username is amwalker.
http://s39.photobucket.com/albums/e192/amwalker/#!cpZZ3QQtppZZ24

There is also a soft spot in the rear under the seat that we were aware of and thought we could fix but now I think we are in over our heads.

Not sure what to do with this. We are thinking about just trading it in on something else. Any advice or opinions would be greatly appreciated.

edited: forgot to ask...is there a way to tell if the stringers have been affected by this?

mancho

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Just found out our first boat has rot...how bad is this?

I can't help you on most of your questions, but my rub rail all the way around is has some gaps and missing sealant. However, that isn't causing any water to get in... but my boat might be different build, since it's a 98 Larson SEI

paultjohnson

Lieutenant Commander

....................:facepalm:.....................

Ciera2450

Lieutenant Junior Grade

You can drill core samples of your stringers. May as well check the transom also.
That looks pretty rotted out in there from what I can see.
If the decking in the rear is as bad as that is....(soft spots are never a good sign)....it could get more involved.

You could take core samples of the stringers where you have access and see what kind of shavings you get out of them. Wet, black,stinky=no good

I thought the stringers on my small runabout were solid until I took core samples.......I removed most of the wood with a shop vac.:eek:

faithful

Seaman Apprentice

I can't help you on most of your questions, but my rub rail all the way around is has some gaps and missing sealant. However, that isn't causing any water to get in... but my boat might be different build, since it's a 98 Larson SEI

The reason I think it is letting water in is that when we took it out for the first time, I noticed water dripping down the carpet (in the rear of the boat) on the sidewalls and it seemed to be coming from the rub rail area....figured it just needed to be re-caulked. When looking up in there where the missing caulk is, it sure looks like water could easily get in. It would be nice if that weren't true.

faithful

Seaman Apprentice

....................:facepalm:.....................

Thanks Paul! That's exactly how I have been feeling the last two weeks. Doesn't look good does it.

faithful

Seaman Apprentice

You can drill core samples of your stringers. May as well check the transom also.
That looks pretty rotted out in there from what I can see.
If the decking in the rear is as bad as that is....(soft spots are never a good sign)....it could get more involved.

You could take core samples of the stringers where you have access and see what kind of shavings you get out of them. Wet, black,stinky=no good

I thought the stringers on my small runabout were solid until I took core samples.......I removed most of the wood with a shop vac.:eek:

Ciera...Not sure how to go about doing that. How do you tell where your stringers are? and do you just drill through the floor to the stringers. Don't know how to check the transom either. Sorry...we are truly new to all this. I have read a few threads of people who have redone their boats and it looks very time consuming when you get into stringers and such. We are not prepared to remove the top of the boat and do all that. Actually, I think it would be a very rewarding project but my husband does not. :( I like to tear things apart and fix them and he is good at that too but just too many projects going on right now. If it would be as simple as just replacing the floor and "ceiling" of the ski locker, I think we could handle that although I'm not sure how you would get to that area and fix it correctly without taking the top off. I just hate this...and so does my 3 very disappointed boys. Hind site......

paultjohnson

Lieutenant Commander

Thanks Paul! That's exactly how I have been feeling the last two weeks. Doesn't look good does it.

Sorry Skipper ! That was probably uncalled for on my part... Alot of help i am huh ? Wasnt tryn' to make ya feel bad... Ive never dealt w that problem, maybe its not that bad, I will keep my fingers crossed 4 ya... Cht happens I guess, live, learn, move fwd,...:rolleyes::p;):D:D

Ciera2450

Lieutenant Junior Grade

it appears that maybe the sides of that ski locker are stringers.
The transom can be done the same way.....drill out a core sample of the wood.

As for the caulking under the rub rail...that is a great point of entry for water.

If the rot is confined to the ski locker area, that shouldn't be too difficult of a repair job.

The soft spot in the rear you mentioned is what raised concern to me. Usually if the deck is soft; under it isn't much better.

Yacht Dr.

Vice Admiral

There is also a soft spot in the rear under the seat that we were aware of and thought we could fix but now I think we are in over our heads.

Not sure what to do with this. We are thinking about just trading it in on something else. Any advice or opinions would be greatly appreciated.

edited: forgot to ask...is there a way to tell if the stringers have been affected by this?

Welcome to Iboats Faithful ..

Its a full deck job .. you will know your stringers conditions when you take your deck off ( No need to crawl around with drills right now )

Yes..at this point I can say that if your not handy with Iboats search function..or good with grinders/glass .. or have a place to do some Serious work to it.. you should reconsider this resto ( by the time its all said and done I think you will be able to open up a fiberglass shop on your own after the knowledge your about to learn .. ).

Just watching your back mate .. .. Just too much Rot I see going on there to be a normal Fixer-upper ..

Sorry ..

YD.

faithful

Seaman Apprentice

Sorry Skipper ! That was probably uncalled for on my part... Alot of help i am huh ? Wasnt tryn' to make ya feel bad... Ive never dealt w that problem, maybe its not that bad, I will keep my fingers crossed 4 ya... Cht happens I guess, live, learn, move fwd,...:rolleyes::p;):D:D

No problem Paul. You didn't make me feel bad.....I knew what you meant. I was just trying to be a little humorous myself....hard to get that across sometimes on the computer. I appreciate the finger crossing.

paultjohnson

Lieutenant Commander

No problem Paul. You didn't make me feel bad.....I knew what you meant. I was just trying to be a little humorous myself....hard to get that across sometimes on the computer. I appreciate the finger crossing.

.......................;):D..........................

faithful

Seaman Apprentice

Welcome to Iboats Faithful ..

Its a full deck job .. you will know your stringers conditions when you take your deck off ( No need to crawl around with drills right now )

Yes..at this point I can say that if your not handy with Iboats search function..or good with grinders/glass .. or have a place to do some Serious work to it.. you should reconsider this resto ( by the time its all said and done I think you will be able to open up a fiberglass shop on your own after the knowledge your about to learn .. ).

Just watching your back mate .. .. Just too much Rot I see going on there to be a normal Fixer-upper ..

Sorry ..

YD.

Thank you very much for your opinion. I was hoping you would chime in. We do have lots of tools (hubby is a car/truck guy and an all around fixer-upper) but we DO NOT have the knowledge or place and time to take this on so I think it's best to just trade it in or find someone willing to take this on for themselves. I have definitely learned a ton from reading on here and seeing other renovations. It will help (I hope) with the next purchase. Any advice or links to go to that give us a good idea of what to check for and look at for the next boat?

Thanks again

faithful

Seaman Apprentice

it appears that maybe the sides of that ski locker are stringers.
The transom can be done the same way.....drill out a core sample of the wood.

As for the caulking under the rub rail...that is a great point of entry for water.

If the rot is confined to the ski locker area, that shouldn't be too difficult of a repair job.

The soft spot in the rear you mentioned is what raised concern to me. Usually if the deck is soft; under it isn't much better.

Thank you for your input. I think this is just going to be too much for us to take on. It's a hard lesson learned but I have learned a lot from reading on here. I think we are just going to try to trade it in or find a buyer willing to work on it. Thanks again and enjoy your Summer!

faithful

Seaman Apprentice

Just another quick question....is there any way you could guess as to what we should ask for the boat? The engine is still in really good shape and only has 360 hours on it so I hope it is worth something.

Thanks again

faithful

Seaman Apprentice

Sorry for all the questions...If we can't find a buyer for the boat, do you think it's safe to use this Summer if we re-caulk under the rubrail and dry it out as best we can before and after we take it out?

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Well you've gotten most of the bad news already. No question your deck and stringers are shot and the transom probably isn't far behind. Not sure I'd feel real good advising you to continue using it when it's obviously not structurally sound. :(

Now for the positive.....that's a BEAUTIFUL hull!!!! Really really sharp. All fixed up it would look like a new one! The upholstery looks to be in good shape (and that's a good chunk of the typical restoration dollars right there). The trailer even looks minty fresh. Are SURE you don't want to fix this thing? Yes it will be a big project and will not be particularly cheap but you'll have a better than new boat when you're done if you do it right. Your boat is pretty similar and in similar starting condition as Friscoboater's SeaRay so watching his thread will show you exactly what you need to to. I'd fix the darn thing. Instead of taking it as a loss, turn that purchase price into a down payment on a really nice boat. Good luck with whatever you decide.

badkins50

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I totally agree with ez. learn as much as you can, ask as many questions a possible from all the talent here and get that boat back on the water safely. next season or 2 put it up for sale while continue to use it. If you dig in there and fix up what needs fixed the right way then you will know exactly what you are putting your trust and lives into. Good luck and you are not alone. Our first buy needed a total deck replacement and had the infamous mercruiser no no motor in it and we didn't have any idea what we were getting into (at least your 4.3 is one of the good mercruisers)

Yacht Dr.

Vice Admiral

Thank you very much for your opinion. We do have lots of tools (hubby is a car/truck guy and an all around fixer-upper) but we DO NOT have the knowledge or place and time to take this on so I think it's best to just trade it in or find someone willing to take this on for themselves.

Well..you do kinda sorta have the knowledge here on Iboats .. but the other two .. Place and Time is a very considerable factor.

Yes nice hull and such..but If you dont have the Place to do a 3/4 full resto ..or the time ..then I think your making the right choice ( we are not privy to your life or lifestyle ).

The Main reasoning behind a full resto is Not for investment .. its " I know I will have a lifetime boat" or " this was grandpas boat" or its simply a collectors item that is very hard to find.

Remember this .. If you Start a resto..Finish it. You Could lose More $$ trying to sell off an incomplete rebuild to someone else ( they might suggest that your work has to be completely redone ).

As far as What to look for if your going to buy a boat .. thats hard to say. Getting an "out of the water" servey is a good choice. Talking with the PO and getting a "feel" about his integrity helps. Start taking an ice pic to the stringers? or banging around with a sounding hammer..? ( basically doing your own servey ).. Google up what Serveyers look for in small cruiser class boats will help. General overall condition and maintenance ( plus yearly drive train receipts from PO could help in " Care of Boat " rule of thumb ).

Let us know for sure how you want to proceed :) .

YD.

faithful

Seaman Apprentice

Well you've gotten most of the bad news already. No question your deck and stringers are shot and the transom probably isn't far behind. Not sure I'd feel real good advising you to continue using it when it's obviously not structurally sound. :(

Now for the positive.....that's a BEAUTIFUL hull!!!! Really really sharp. All fixed up it would look like a new one! The upholstery looks to be in good shape (and that's a good chunk of the typical restoration dollars right there). The trailer even looks minty fresh. Are SURE you don't want to fix this thing? Yes it will be a big project and will not be particularly cheap but you'll have a better than new boat when you're done if you do it right. Your boat is pretty similar and in similar starting condition as Friscoboater's SeaRay so watching his thread will show you exactly what you need to to. I'd fix the darn thing. Instead of taking it as a loss, turn that purchase price into a down payment on a really nice boat. Good luck with whatever you decide.
Is there a way to check and see if the boat is safe to use this Summer?drill some test holes in stringers etc and see what they look like?

The upholstery in the middle section (forward/backward seats) is perfect. The ones in the very back and up in the bow have a few cracks but not bad and one up in the bow has ?nice? brown marks from where they let the spare tire rest against it in storage. IMG_1330.jpgIMG_1329.jpg

Trailer is ok?it has some rust spots?guess it?s hard to tell in the pictures, but it's in good shape. To answer your question?No?I?m NOT sure I don?t want to fix it up. I really really like this boat. I?m just really sure I couldn?t do it myself and my husband wasn?t on board (no pun intended) with that idea. I think he is warming up to the idea now though. I love to tear things apart and fix them. And I know we could do this together and be proud of our hard work when we?re done. I have quite a list of questions that I think I need to ask before I can be confident we can do this.
Before I posted on this forum, I was reading Friscoboater?s thread. Wow! I couldn?t quit reading it?.and how nice of him to post pics and video?that helps a ton. Sometimes words just aren?t enough. I get a lot of satisfaction from fixing/doing things myself. Just never taken on a project this big. I fixed our campers leaky roof and put in new vents but I know that won't be comparable to the boat job. We?ll be needing lots of help if it?s something we decide to do so I?m glad you guys are here and willing to offer your expertise!