Joza's 1957(?) Red Fish Restoration

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Re: Joza's 1957(?) Red Fish Restoration

Joza,
Rusto Garage floor paint is NOT good for boats. It is NOT UV tolerant and will not hold up well. I called their help desk and they did NOT recommend using it for Marine use. Has your dad done anymore sewing on those seats? I am anxiously awaiting more pics!!!!!

I'm just sayin...:D

coolness

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Joza,

Awesome project!! Your Red Fish is coming along nicely. Are you having it professionally painted?? Looks like you are pretty good at it. The motor repaint looks great. Gonna be nice!! :)

joza

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Joza,
Rusto Garage floor paint is NOT good for boats. It is NOT UV tolerant and will not hold up well. I called their help desk and they did NOT recommend using it for Marine use. Has your dad done anymore sewing on those seats? I am anxiously awaiting more pics!!!!!

Thanks Wood... yeah I love the look of the product with the flecks and all, I too had my concerns on it and fired off emails to their guys that know. Although they didn't say anything about UV, they did say that the flexing of the boat may be an issue. It's all good though, we've moved on to Plan B, or is it C. D? E? Oh whatever... we've moved on. Ha!

joza

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Joza,

Awesome project!! Your Red Fish is coming along nicely. Are you having it professionally painted?? Looks like you are pretty good at it. The motor repaint looks great. Gonna be nice!! :)

Hey Cool, thanks a lot. I am going to be painting the boat myself... I do enjoy spraying some paint. Ha. Funny how things remembered from your childhood have their way of playing out later in life. My 8th grade metal shop teacher got pissed at one of my fellow students one day for how he was painting a project... he showed us the "right" way to paint. It's stuck with me ever since and I think about that day every time I paint.

No I'm looking forward to painting the boat myself... if it turns out like the motor, or half as good as I see it in my mind's eye, it's going to look great.

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

Wow! Nice work. I really like the upholstery work. This is going to be a real head turner when its done. Enjoy following your progress.

joza

Petty Officer 3rd Class

It's been a while since I've posted... but it's not for lack of working on our project, but it's for lack of anything good to really take pictures of. But, I'm going to change that. The restoration of my 1957 35hp Johnson is now complete... well let's say 99%. The recoil element just came UPS today so I'll need to install it. But... except for that, the restoration is complete and here it is. I couldn't be happier with the result.

Took a completely painted black, long shaft, convertered it to a completely repaired and repainted short shaft. Started it once, ran pretty good. I'll start it one more time before I put it away for a long winter's nap.

Attachments

• motor_before.jpg
    motor_before.jpg
    11.9 KB · Views: 0
  • motor_after.jpg
    motor_after.jpg
    15.9 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Great job on the motor restore. I was wondering if you were still kickin. I got my sewing machine and ordered my vinyl so I will be starting my project soon. Question. How Tall are your seat backs and how deep are your seats. I will be making mine as well and was wondering what your dimensions were. Hope to see some more pics of your Dad's sewing progress soon.

joza

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Great job on the motor restore. I was wondering if you were still kickin. I got my sewing machine and ordered my vinyl so I will be starting my project soon. Question. How Tall are your seat backs and how deep are your seats. I will be making mine as well and was wondering what your dimensions were. Hope to see some more pics of your Dad's sewing progress soon.

Thanks Wood. We'll be back to working on the seats real soon... maybe as soon as this weekend. The seat backs for both front and back seats are around 22" if I remember correctly. They're both about 20" deep. I was lucky enough that who ever had the boat prior to me left 3 of the 4 seat brackets for the seat bottoms in place and I worked from that. In hindsight though... I think I would have made the back seat a bit deeper, maybe by a couple of inches, can't really do it on the front. The foam is 3". Good luck with your seats. Slow and steady and be prepared to rip the seams out once or twice and use a good quality vinyl thread... Joanne's has it. We sewed all the seams once, did a test fit, then sewed all the seams a second time. Oh one thing I did discover though. Cut your vinyl pieces about a 1/4" smaller than they actually need to be, then when you sew go in another 1/4" inch. This worked well for us and got the cushion nice and tight. When we cuteverything to the exact size, then sewed in a 1/4" everything fit, but looked loose. It depends on the look you want of course. Play on some scrap pieces and see what works best for you. Again good luck, let me know if I can answer any more of your questions... I've gotten so much help on this forum... glad I can finally give some back.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Thanks,
My plan is to re-upholster my fishing seats first and use them as my Guinea Pigs. I bought some old Ranger Bass boat Captain chair seats and plan on making some PVC portable pedastals for the boat this way I can remove the Bench seats, throw in the Fishin seats and go fishin in style. Well, that's the plan any way. I'll post some pics on my site soon, and let ya see what I'm talkin about. I will De-Seam the old covers from the seats and use them as patterns for the New covers. I am sure I will learn a lot. I am going to TRY and see if I can sew the Piping in the seams. I found a source on ebay that sells the special piping foot for the sewing machine just not sure if they have it for my model. If not then I will probably fore-go this endeavor. I MAY be thinking way to Grandiose here but we'll see. Your Dad has inspired me to think BIG. I'll probably end up sewing my shirt to the seat covers and asking my wife to come cut me free.:eek:

Have not worked on my boat in so long I almost forgot I had one. I hope to maybe get her off the trailer and flip her onto her cart this weekend if the weather is nice. We'll see. Get some pics up soon. I can't wait much longer.

badkins50

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Look awesome! can't wait to see it all done and sitting in some water! Good Luck.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

joza

Just wanted to say how much I have enjoyed your project and hope you and yours had a Happy Thanksgiving!!

I'm Just Sayin...:D

jbcurt00

Staff member

Did you splash the Red Fish this season? My FireFlite came with that exact same Johnson 35, just never been painted black. Pix of your craft afloat would be great! Congrats on the nice work! When you finish up, I'd also like to borrow your dad & his sewing machine. Is Federal Minimum wage the going rate for sewing?