Joza's 1957(?) Red Fish Restoration

joza

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Good morning all!

I'm new to the forum and I'm coming to you with my project. I found this baby on Craig's List a couple of weeks ago and was finally able to bring it home Saturday. The ad said that it was a 15' 1957 Red Fish Shark. The reason for the (?) in the title is that I'm not so sure it's a '57 because the little bit of research I did before picking it up didn't show any '57 models with a hard top, but I did see that '59's came with one. This one had one. Although once I saw it in person, I saw that the top was just bolted on. So not sure if it's a '57 with an added top or indeed a '59. Regardless, I love it. I bought it from a guy that was also planning on restoring it but couldn't find the time. His previous owner gutted it so most of the hard work has been done for me, at least in that respect. So $250 later... boat, motor and trailer are mine. I'll get into the motor later. The guy I bought it from says that its the original motor, but I have doubts and lots of questions about that. Just an FYI, it's a 40hp Johnson... will post pix of that later.

I'm sure down the road I'll have tons of questions about this little boat and I'm thanking you all in advance for any help that you may offer. Take a look at the pix and tell me what you think of my little project boat. Does this fall into that stolen boat category?

Any additional information about it would also be greatly appreciated.

Oh one more thing, all the chrome pieces are there which I'm real excited about, except one which I'll need to find, but I can't wait to see them after they've been replated.

Enjoy!

Attachments

• IMG_0206.jpg
    IMG_0206.jpg
    80.8 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0207.jpg
    IMG_0207.jpg
    73.8 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0387.jpg
    IMG_0387.jpg
    38.7 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0388.jpg
    IMG_0388.jpg
    41.9 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0389.jpg
    IMG_0389.jpg
    33.9 KB · Views: 0

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner
Re: Joza's 1957(?) Red Fish Restoration

Wow, that's going to be an awesome boat! A real head turner. Good luck with your project.

bigredinohio

Chief Petty Officer

I agree with ezmobee...a real head turner. Pretty cool project!

joza

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Thanks guys. I'm really looking forward to working on it. I'm getting all my ducks in a row before I jump in. Asking questions and all... what a wealth of information this forum is. I had some doubts as to whether or not I should even attempt something like this, but after reading a ton of posts and gathering information, I'm confident that I can pull this off. Thanks again!

THEPATRIOT

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Nice!A buddy of mine got a 1961 Shark with matching Merc 500 on the back yesterday!It's rock solid but needs paint,i'll post some pics later.

Johnny Too Bad

Petty Officer 2nd Class

That's an awesome little boat. I know what you mean when you say you love it. I'm about a month into my first restoration project, and I fell in love with mine the first time I saw her (she's a 1959 Texas Maid Osprey). I'm thoroughly enjoying every minute of it, thus far. I wish you the best of luck, and you definitely came to the right place. There are so many great people on this forum that are willing to share their experience and wisdom.

I'm looking forward to watching your progress on this little gem.

JTB

http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=339585

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

Cool. A Red Fish is a great find. Popular enough that it has the recognition factor when you go out, and unique enough that everyone will be checking it out.

I agree, that motor does not look like a 50's outboard, more like a 60 or 70's.

I love old boats.

joza

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Okay. So my favorite kind of mail came today. A package from a seller on Ebay. I needed to find one (so I thought) piece of chrome. Well a quick search on Ebay resulted in not only finding my missing piece, but 4 more that I didn't know about. So a big thank you goes out to my new Ebay friend Stan in California.

I only needed one of the handle looking pieces, but he had the side emblems, and 2 other tail pieces that I didn't know existed. I already had the tail caps and the bow light, but for another $25 he sold me all he had. Never hurts to have extras. Bonus!

So now I think I have everything I need to get going. Working on the trailer this weekend. It's not in bad shape but it needs some rust cleaned off, new wiring and painted. AND it will give me a chance to drive my neighbor nuts with the sound of my air driven grinder.

Let the restoration begin!!!!!!!!!!

Attachments

• chrome_goodies.jpg
    chrome_goodies.jpg
    12.7 KB · Views: 0

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

That bow light is very cool

joza

Petty Officer 3rd Class

You bet man. There is a part missing from the one in the photo. The one that I already have has a piece that sticks out the top. It looks like a great old hood ornament. I'll post pix of the cleaned off part and again after replating. Can't wait for that.

HopeSheFloats

Lieutenant Commander

Sweet looking project ya got there :D<green with jealousy!

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

Joza, if you are missing parts and have another to copy, I can help you with molding your own new pieces like these:

The mold is the blue block on the left, the original is in the center and the new piece is on the far right.

boat00001s.jpg

For less than $100 you will be able to mold and reproduce many small parts, including long parts like moldings and rub rails as long as you keep the mold narrow.

tlovelandka

Petty Officer 3rd Class

What a cool boat! Can't wait to see how this one comes along... Good Luck:D

joza

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Thanks for the tip Mark. I will definitely keep that in mind. Never really thought about making the things.

joza

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Okay. So yesterday when the mercury rose to about 96 degrees, we started working on our trailer. Good god it was hot. Ground down the old paint, cut off the broken lights, made some minor repairs and painted it. Check out the pix. Yes that's my wife armed with the Saws-all. There isn't a tool that I have that she won't pick and to go town with... it's a huge help.

Anyway, the trailer is done and road ready now with new lights. One of the fenders is missing so I'll either try to find a replacement or just spring for 2 new ones, it won't be going anywhere soon so I have time. We used Rustoleum paint that dries to a hammered finish, it's cool stuff.

Attachments

• trailer1.jpg
    trailer1.jpg
    18.3 KB · Views: 0
  • trailer3.jpg
    trailer3.jpg
    17.1 KB · Views: 0
  • trailer4.jpg
    trailer4.jpg
    18.7 KB · Views: 0
  • trailer2.jpg
    trailer2.jpg
    14.6 KB · Views: 0
  • trialer5.jpg
    trialer5.jpg
    20 KB · Views: 0

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

Nice work. Trailer looks new! I like that Rustolium Hammered Metal finish paint too. Used in on a big vice, and it holds up really well.

Decided on what color to paint the boat? Going with classic 50's colors or something else?

joza

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Nice work. Trailer looks new! I like that Rustolium Hammered Metal finish paint too. Used in on a big vice, and it holds up really well.

Decided on what color to paint the boat? Going with classic 50's colors or something else?

Well Mark when I saw that boat on Craig's list the first thing I saw was that it was orange... my favorite color. So I'm going to stick with that. Orange and white. I'd really like to do something funky with the floor though. I might break out the airbrush and play. The seats will be orange and white vinyl for sure. But the floor. Hmmmm, it's a blank canvas at the moment. What kind of graphic designer would I be by just putting a plain, blank floor in?

ryan71383

Cadet

That's a nice looking project you got there. Good Luck and have fun with it. Your color scheme sounds like it will come out awesome as well.

joza

Petty Officer 3rd Class

And away we go.

So today I started the process of putting the floor back into my Red Fish. Over the following week, I'll be getting the stringers and the keel in place. Glassing them in next weekend then moving onto the transom and then the deck. I'm hoping if all goes well I'll be in business by the end of the weekend with a new deck. Although if it doesn't happen, it's not the end of the world... it'll get done.

P.S. I got an estimate to replate all the chrome pieces on my Red Fish. Uh, it was less than I thought, but still more than I wanted it to be. If I did all the parts at once, it would be $1200. Hmmm. If anyone can suggest someone that could do my parts on a budget, I'm all ears. I will also entertain the idea of having them done in trade. I am a graphic designer with over 25 years of experience in print and web design. Logos, brochure, website. I design a lot of things. Private message me if you know someone that may be fit the bill. Thanks again for all the valuable information everyone!

Attachments

• start1.jpg
    start1.jpg
    27 KB · Views: 0
  • start2.jpg
    start2.jpg
    19 KB · Views: 0
  • start3.jpg
    start3.jpg
    21.3 KB · Views: 0

Les Robb

Chief Petty Officer

If it was black you could pass it off as Batman's boat. That will turn a few heads for sure when you finish restoration.

LOL ya'll