Johnson 88hp Special

jjohnson120

Petty Officer 1st Class
I am looking at a pontoon with an 88hp special and was wondering if anyone had any opinions good or bad on this motor? Reason I ask is because the pontoon is a 2002 model, yet it has an older 1996 88hp special. I'm guessing it had a small motor and they wanted a little bit bigger one and upgraded to this. I have been trying to upgrade to something newer and I like the boat, I just have my concerns with the motor. Any info would be great.

jjohnson120

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 88hp Special

Well I found out the motor was rebuilt by the shop and then placed on the pontoon if that helps matters any.

boobie

Supreme Mariner

As long as you keep the mtr serviced regularly it should be okay. They were pretty good mtrs.

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner

OMC made these V4 crossflow engines by the thousands from around 1969 up till 1996. A pretty reliable, torquey engine. Parts still readily available. The engine is as good as the maintenance it was given over it's life. That 88 model is identical to the 90 hp in the same year, but was the economy model. Yours does not have the conbination fuel/oil mixing pump found on the 90. Also power tilt/trim was an extra cost option on the 88.

jjohnson120

Petty Officer 1st Class

OMC made these V4 crossflow engines by the thousands from around 1969 up till 1996. A pretty reliable, torquey engine. Parts still readily available. The engine is as good as the maintenance it was given over it's life. That 88 model is identical to the 90 hp in the same year, but was the economy model. Yours does not have the conbination fuel/oil mixing pump found on the 90. Also power tilt/trim was an extra cost option on the 88.

So does that mean I'll have to manually mix oil/gas? The engine was rebuilt completely according to the shop as to where they effectively consider it now as having 0 hours of use on it.

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner

Yes. Keep in mind you will have to run double oil in it during the break-in period.