QD 16 lower unit

sbump52

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: QD 16 lower unit

Wayne, what companies have the entire seal kit?

wbeaton

Commander

I didn't know about adding two driveshaft seals back-to-back (][).

It depends on the seal and the kit. Some kits come with the larger seal that doesn't require two seals and some kits only come with one of the smaller seals. Try your newly resealed lower unit out. If it doesn't leak then don't worry about it.

Wayne, what companies have the entire seal kit?

Check to see if iboats has the seal kit first. However, I believe they sell the Sierra kit and I see by Sierra's website that they no longer carry pre-1958 seal kits for the 10 hp. Two other sites that have them are:

www.vintageoutboard.com
www.nymarine.ca

I'm sure Laings or Twin City would have them too, but I've never dealt with them.

sbump52

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Man, wish I knew about vintageoutboards.com before I went to the local shop. I would have the prop shaft already. :(

sbump52

Petty Officer 2nd Class

The saga continues. Have a prop shaft oil seal on the way. Water pump kit is now in at the parts house, will pick up Saturday. Prop shaft oil seal may be here by then. Now that I know I have a seal on the way, started to take the old one out. Anybody have some slick tips for that? Tried drilling a couple small holes and screwing screws in but those tore out before anything moved. Right now I have resorted to tearing the brass part piece by piece and now realize that once that's done, I won't have anything left to get a hold of to tear out. Heat in the oven to 350 to see if that will help? I am open to anything......

wbeaton

Commander

The fun begins. I use a claw style puller VERY CAREFULLY to get mine out. Sounds like you are past that point. You are doing what everyine here has had to do a dozen times. Some folks use a dremel tool and grind it out. Just be careful not to damage the gearcase head. Use some sealant on the new seal when you install it. Scotch Grip #847 is the proper stuff, but I have used RTV silcone.

Where did you get the oil seal? I see my QD-14 prop shaft seal is leaking. I'll need to get one before next spring.

sbump52

Petty Officer 2nd Class

From www.marinerecycling.com. I found a couple of guys on ebay that said they had them in stock, but when I emailed them I didn't hear anything back from them for a couple of days and got a little antsy and checked a couple other places. They were quick to say they had them, but not so quick to send me an address to send payment. Couldn't figure that out. I thought that maybe they didn't actually have one and started looking elsewhere. Placed the order with marinerecycling by phone then checked my email and finally had a response from one of the ebay guys. Naturally he was quite a bit cheaper, the guys at marinerecycling know they are no longer available and the price reflects it. Marinerecycling is in CA and said he had three so now he has two.

Last edited:

jasper60103

Commander

After reading your post I decided to tackle my seals.

I used a hammer and nails to pound out the prop seal. I placed oil retainer housing on a piece of plywood on concrete floor, and pounded out seal thru the 2 holes, and bent a few nails!! Also, the o-ring slips off easily enough.

I used a seal puller to yank out the driveshaft seal. The tool was well worth the $11 it cost me.

Hope this helps.

Attachments

• SDC12048_sh.jpg
    SDC12048_sh.jpg
    35.1 KB · Views: 0
  • SDC12050_sh.jpg
    SDC12050_sh.jpg
    34.4 KB · Views: 0

sbump52

Petty Officer 2nd Class

How did the nails help on the brass seal retainer? I noticed the holes drilled in it, but ??? Where did you find the seal puller?

sbump52

Petty Officer 2nd Class

The rubber and spring part of the seal were easy to get out. It is the brass retainer I can't seem to get enough leverage to pull out. I think now it is down to taking small pieces with the vise grips and tearing out enough to get it loose. I just hope I don't tear something else up by getting it out. :(

jasper60103

Commander

The seal puller is carried by autopart stores. Also, I saw one online at Sears. The tool makes the job so easy. I first tried to pry the driveshaft seal out with a flatblade screw driver and I couldn't get a enough leverage either. Not a problem with the tool. I just took little bites around the inside ring until it popped out. Took about a minute.

I'm not sure the tool will help you at this point though. The hook needs something to grap on to. Continue on your way, but be careful not damage the bushing underneath the seal. I think you'll do fine by ripping it to pieces too. Just have to clean all the debris out the hole when you're done.

Again, the prop shaft seal was tapped out with a hammer and nail. Lay the housing on a piece of wood. Lay the piece of wood down on a concrete floor. Then hold the nail in a hole and tap hard, alternating holes. It was stubborn at first, but it began budge.

sbump52

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Well the gearcase is together. About to start the water pump, then wait on my prop shaft seal to arrive. Bought a seal puller and had the remnants of the seal out in less than a minute. I sure wish I had that tool before. It made all the difference in the world. That 3M 847 sealant is the best stuff. I have enough for 100 jobs though. I could only find it in a large tube. Oh well, I probably can use it for other stuff. Someone help Mandrake with his shift shaft seal. He has a 65 unit, not sure if it is the same as my 55 so I didn't want to tell him something that wasn't true. Please be sure to tell him to be careful of using a tool that is too big around to fit that small opening in the lower unit. :rolleyes:

jasper60103

Commander

Glad to hear. The right tools make all the difference. I just finished sealing my gearcase this morning.

sbump52

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Had a little issue with the shift linkage. I think I have got it right now. After the prop shaft gets here I will take it out for a spin. In Texas the lakes aren't frozen over.:D

jasper60103

Commander

Yea, you can walk on water here. Don't need a boat.

Can you replace your prop shaft seal without opening the gearcase
again?

sbump52

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Yes, it sits outside the gear case. The O ring on the bearing retainer is inside the gear case and the prop shaft seal is outside the gear case. I don't think you can take it off without taking the prop shaft out, but it will press right in.

Mandrake35

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Thanks for the help Sbump! Hadn't thought of threading the thing....The drill bit idea has promise also. Would you believe I managed to pick the entire old o-ring out of there LOL .....Not much chance of squeezing the new one in though!!! It has 3 times the mass LOL. Thanks again
I'm currently pulling the flywheel, but I don't have bolts long enough for the Dampener puller.....guess I have to wait til tomorrow for that. Lucky for me all the water around here is rock hard right now......going fishing on Monday!!!

wbeaton

Commander

Mandrake, get 1/4 hardened bolts for your puller. I got mine at Princess Auto on Barton St. Good luck fishing today. I'm going snowmobiling.

sbump52

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Hey you guys have a great day today enjoying the outdoors! I hope to get some creek fishing in today for some crappie. I can't thank you guys and iboats enough for the help, tips and advice. When the prop shaft seal comes in and I get it finished up I will post the results.
I have a little story to tell about one of my old friends. He was in Texas working and his family moved from Peterborough to live while he was here. They moved across the street. We were close to the same age and our kids were as well. We became pretty good friends. His father worked and retired from OMC running machines to build parts for Johnson and Evinrude boat motors. This man was awesome. He and his wife would come down from Canada and stay a couple of weeks and would do things around my friends house. Whatever he touched turned out perfect. It always looked like a craftsman had done it. Whether it was woodwork, paint, laying tile, whatever it was done to the T and perfect. He would fix the furnace, work on the cars everything. My friend would save things for hid Dad to work on while they were here. His wife was an excellent cook also. Whenever I work on my old Johnson I think of his Dad, Bruce Dingman may he rest in peace.