Johnson 6 and Evinrude 15 questions

Bullie

Petty Officer 1st Class
The 15 is back up and running! I couldn't have done it without you guys. I will put it on the water soon to check everything out. It started on the 3rd pull and purred like a kitten. I did notice the stream was kinda sporadic and weak so the next project will be an impeller.

The thermostat gasket came in for the Johnson 6 too. I will get to work on that soon. I guess a razor blade would be best for scraping all the gasket goop off?

Thanks again for your help. Great advice without being talked down to...y'all made it easy.

Bullie

Petty Officer 1st Class
Alright, the impeller, for the 15 Evinrude, came in today and I have removed the 6 screws and loosened the upper connector screw per my manual. The problem I have now is that the lower unit won't come off. The connector rod is loose as I see some clean metal above the clamp now, but it will not slide off. I have watched a few videos and folks just seem to wiggle it a little and off it comes. No such luck. The motor slips into forward as a I pull down. I would think that would mean that the screw isn't loose enough but I can feel a 1/4 gap between it and the clamp. I did not completely remove it as it felt like it hit some kind of stop. I mean it became hard to turn so I did not force it. It does not appear that the foot has ever been off of the motor.

GOT IT...the instructions say REMOVE...not Loosen. A couple fins are broken off... Thanks guys.

Last edited:

Igyjastabay

Seaman
Same thing happened to me. Try removing the carb then screw in cam roller to carb, then attach carb. Much easier that messing with the pull start.

tonybalony

Cadet
regarding removing lower unit,shifter connection has to have bolt removed-not just loosened,hope that helps

racerone

Supreme Mariner
All the bolts including the one under the trim tab ?-------May well be that the driveshaft is rusted into the crankshaft.--------Try putting something above the nuts on the side and then see if you can run the nuts up to push the unit down.-----Nice motor as I have one myself.