Johnson 6 and Evinrude 15 questions

Bullie

Petty Officer 1st Class
I loosened the nut with my electric impact, no problem. I upgraded the bolts to #8 as you guys advised. I wish I had purchased better washers too as the washers contained in the kit are very soft. I doubled them up and its holding ok. I installed the puller yesterday around noon and it still hasn't "popped" like I read it would in the secret files. I have only struck the puller with a soft mallet. One of the plastic type with screw in heads of different hardness. Anyway, it hasn't budged. I have given it a couple squirts of liquid wrench and have given it a few whacks every couple of hours. I have tapped around the edges of the flywheel with the soft mallet from side to side but figured I shouldn't be too rough with that.... so, any advice other than letting it sit?

tomhath

Master Chief Petty Officer
You're right about being gentle with the edge.

I use something soft like a wooden paint stirrer to lift the flywheel and shaft together; it'll only move about 1/16 of an inch. Then give it a pretty good whack with a heavy ball peen hammer and they'll separate. It works every time, but you need to give the shaft that little bit of room to move.

Last edited:

raczekp1

Lieutenant
1.remove flywheel
2.loosen 5 or 6 screvs located on armature palet
3. take out can and put ne one
4.tighten screvs
5.put back flywheel and tighten nut

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Tighten the centre screw on the puller , give the centre screw a hefty belt with a 16 ounce ball peen hammer.-----When the nut is torqued the flywheel taper is streched over the crank taper and it is locked.----Can take a bit of effort to pop it off.

nwcove

Admiral
....make sure the fw nut is still on the crankshaft, but loose, or things could get painful when the fw pops off.

steelespike

Supreme Mariner
A tiller extension shoud get you forward to the middle seat.
We had a 12 ft flat bottom steel boat with a Gale 5 it would pop on plane with my 180 pounds aboard.
But not in the stern seat.It would realy pop up with my 120# niece alone.
If the boats bottom is really rounded it may struggle.

Last edited:

Bullie

Petty Officer 1st Class
I gave it some good whacks this time... still didn't budge. Would using my impact wrench be a bad idea?

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Or tighten the 3 screws a little bit one at a time.--Or yes use the impact on the center bolt.

Bullie

Petty Officer 1st Class
I did use a 16 oz hammer the last time. And I pulled up on the flywheel while striking the center bolt as I was instructed.

Bullie

Petty Officer 1st Class
I used the impact on the center bolt and nothing... does it being an electric start have anything to do with this?

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Electric start makes no difference.-----------------Just do not even think about hitting the flywheel itself to get it off !

Bullie

Petty Officer 1st Class
I am gonna let it sit tonight and try again tomorrow.

Bullie

Petty Officer 1st Class

I finally was able to get the flywheel off with a little more coaxing from the impact and hammer. It seems like I am not the first person to have been under this particular hood.

I am as green as grass, but that just doesn't look like a factory/dealer repair to me. LOL

I guess I will look that part up and see what it costs to replace. The motor was running fine though...

Last edited:

hardwater fisherman

Lieutenant Commander
If your talking about that copper colored resin on the stator its normal.The part number is 0584341 if you look on ebay some look the same and some dont. My stator from my 1976 40hp has it also.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Not sure why you are jumping to conclusions !!!-----The brown stuff is not an issue whatsoever.-----It is the battery charging unit and looks like the day it left the factory !

Bullie

Petty Officer 1st Class
I am a jumper of conclusions I guess. I have been researching for awhile and it is exactly as you have stated and normal. But, if you could put yourself in my shoes for a moment, a total green pea, wouldn't it be possible you might think that looked like a backyard repair job? Not trying to be a smart alec at all, but that looks like someone gobbed that stuff on there to stop it from shorting. I guess I was afraid I would have to order another part.

I appreciate all your time racerone. You have been a big help with this project. I have looked forward to seeing if you have commented on this topic as I have progressed. It is old hat and simple for you guys but quite the challenge for someone that has no experience. I am having a great time and learning a lot from you guys. I do ask a lot more questions than is absolutely necessary I guess...just my nature is my only excuse.

I wish I had the replacement part now so I could put everything back together and see if I have worked out the bugs. I also ordered a gasket for the 6 hp Johnson and it has delayed the shipment a week. Patience is not my greatest virtue.

tomhath

Master Chief Petty Officer
While you're waiting, clean all the penetrating oil off the shaft and flywheel. Acetone works good for that, it has to be completely dry and clean or you risk it shearing the key and slipping out of time (hard to believe after all the trouble you had getting it off, but it happens).

Bullie

Petty Officer 1st Class
Denatured alcohol work? I can surely go buy some acetone but I have the alcohol on hand.