johnson 35 hp sea horse

Hey i just bought an oldier boat with a johnson 35 hp sea horse motor on it. Model number RDE 19 C. Would anyone have ANY information about it like the year possibly and anything else that might be usefull.

samo_ott

Vice Admiral
Re: johnson 35 hp sea horse

It's a 1957. I have the same engine.

24:1 fuel mixture. tcw-3 oil. 87 octane fuel. Is it electric start?

samo_ott

Vice Admiral

Dang TD you beat me. But I think it's a '57, you sure it's a '58?

Oh, and Joe, welcome to the iBoats forum.

Edit: Ok, I just looked at my book and it does list an RDE-19 as '57 BUT has a RDE-19C for '58 as well as the RDS-20, so I reckon it is a '58.

rebars1

Senior Chief Petty Officer

The original list price was $585.00.

F_R

Supreme Mariner

There were two 35hp motors in 1958, the RD/RDE 19C and the RDS-20. Very different motors.

There were tons of those things built and a lot of them still alive and running.

Hey thanks for the info everyone, yes it does have electric start. It hasent been run in probably 40 years. It still turns over. Does anyone know of a website where i could get an owners manuel. Thanks again for all the help.

jay_merrill

Vice Admiral

You might try surfing EBay too. Most of the manuals there are for newer motors but you might find one for yours.

Also, depending on how mechanically inclined you are, a parts manual (avail here at iboats, $31.99) is often enough to do a lot of jobs, just because the parts explosions in them give a good idea of how things go together. Combined with a Seloc manual for torque info, gap settings, fluid specs, etc., getting the work done on this relatively simple motor isn't too hard.

One warning on the Seloc manuals, though - they aren't very good for the actual instructions on doing a particular job. This is generally true because they try to cover a very wide range of motors, and provide little info on any one of them. That said, in a pinch .....

samo_ott

Vice Admiral

I have the parts manual for a '56 30hp in a pdf which is very similar if you want to PM me with your email address and I will send it to you.

samo_ott

Vice Admiral

There were two 35hp motors in 1958, the RD/RDE 19C and the RDS-20. Very different motors.

I didn't know they had a big change mid year. What all changed?

Just regular unleaded octane 87 gas. Or do I have to add anything to the gas like lead additives or something.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

87 octane, tc-w# outboard motor oil, walmarts super tech brand is fine. mix it 24 fuel/ 1 part oil.

tmcalavy

Rear Admiral

Lots of stuff changed in the motor configuration from 57, early 58 to late 58 and thereafter: LU configuration/design, pump design, thermostats, shift levers/mechanism, and cowls. Just as reliable though.

itstippy

Chief Petty Officer

Was it running when you bought it or just sitting? Do you know the maintenance/ownership history? Hopefully it's been owned and used by people who take care of machinery. If the compression test numbers check out OK you should do all the routine maintenance stuff before using it at all - replace the impeller, change lower unit oil, Seafoam decarb, coils, etc. That way you know it's done. Read the "Awakening a sleeping outboard" post for a checklist. The old pump-prime gas tank and hoses & fittings should be checked out too. The little rubber O-rings get old and suck air/leak fuel. Easy to replace. You found the right place for super advice from guys that know these motors. Their knowledge is both priceless and free.
Great motor. Plenty of low-end grunt. Burns a lot of fuel. Makes smoke. Sounds awesome. Lasts forever with simple care. Search this board under 'Big Twin" and read all night.

It has been about 35 years since the motor ran last. Th previous owners were family to me so we trusted them and they knew plenty about there boats due to the fact that they lived on an island in lake superior. What results am I looking for in the compression test. Is the compression going to be close to that of a car, or not so much.

samo_ott

Vice Admiral

Compression should be 90 lbs + on each side and within 5 # of each other to be good. Lower will work but just not as well. It's important that they are close to each other though.

Hey, I take it that its safe to assume that if the motor would be from 1958, then the boat should have been made in 1958 as well. They wouldnt have but a brand new 1958 motor on a brand new 1960 boat, right. Pictures of the boat I have are leading me to believe that the boat was made in 1960. Did they do that back then.