Johmson 200 compression

I am looking at buying a boat with a 1997 Johnson 200. The compression is between 90 and 93 on all cyl. Is that ok? Also when we did the compression test the starter kept kicking out, like a bad starter, but with the plugs back in it it does turn over and crank the engine? Any thoughts?

d.boat

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Johmson 200 compression

I am looking at buying a boat with a 1997 Johnson 200. The compression is between 90 and 93 on all cyl. Is that ok? Also when we did the compression test the starter kept kicking out, like a bad starter, but with the plugs back in it it does turn over and crank the engine? Any thoughts?

The compression is excellent for that type of engine. Can't say about the starter.

boobie

Supreme Mariner

On these mtrs you had to sometimes leave a few plugs in and then swap them with the cyls you already checked and then check the other ones. What you are doing is fooling the starter bendix. When the mtr spins over fast with the compression gauge in it and hits that cyl you are checking with the rest of the plugs out the bendix thinks it started and kicks out. Been there and done that.

Thanks everyone. I like this boat but thought the compression was supposed to be over 120 or 130? I am glad to know that is good.That makes sense about leaving the plugs in the non testing cyl to do a compression test. I got a note that I posted in the wrong place for this topic, sorry, I will study the site.

If you don;t mind me imposing, what do you think about a price of $8,000 for a 1997 20 foot Hydrasport with the above motor, and a nice trailer?

Last edited:

jrod1997

Recruit

im in the same boat (no pun intended), does anyone know what the actual compression should be for this motor please?

also had the same problem with starter, with all the plugs out, it spins and disengages from flywheel
thanks!

reeldutch

Lieutenant

the only thing i would be scared off is the fact that the closed deck blocks (from 93 on) had some cooling problems causing the piston ring locating pin to let go and score a nice straight deep grove in the cylinder wall.
just keep that in mind.

reeldutch

Lieutenant

the starter works fine that kicking out is normal with the gear reduction starters.

as long as the readings are even no more than 10% between the lowes and highest reading you are fine.
i have seen big bore loopers as low as 80 psi all 6 running fine.
its just how they are designed.
1 more bad thing i can sey about these motors is that they are gas guzlers big time.
also keep that in mind.

d.boat

Chief Petty Officer

im in the same boat (no pun intended), does anyone know what the actual compression should be for this motor please?

also had the same problem with starter, with all the plugs out, it spins and disengages from flywheel
thanks!

I was told that the compression is ~95 +/- (i.e. not even 100) from the factory on these engines, definitely not the compression I see in my kickers (120 or so). I've owned two, the most recent is older (1990) but only had about 250 hours on it. It's right there - I think actual numbers are all +/- a couple lbs of 95. Local shop that did some work for me recently said the numbers were "like new". My older, more well used one was around high 80s to low 90s on all 6. Again, experts told me it was very good.

jrod1997

Recruit

the only thing i would be scared off is the fact that the closed deck blocks (from 93 on) had some cooling problems causing the piston ring locating pin to let go and score a nice straight deep grove in the cylinder wall.
just keep that in mind.

thanks, do you know was that in one particular cylinder that would happen
i have the cover off, carbs exposed, and i have one carb that is pulling a lot less vacuum than all the others, any ideas?
im doing the old put my hand over the carb methid and it obviously has less pull than the other 5 carburetors? imm going to check compression again, but last i checked i had between 94 and 100 on them all
thanks again