Questioning Quote

Locke

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I have my 2000 Sea Ray Sundancer Mercruiser 7.4 Bravo III in a local shop to have the outdrive serviced and the mechanic is recommending I have all the boots replaced. None of them are leaking but it will be in a wet slip so a future leak could be problematic. The outdrive is presently off the boat and he is quoting me 8 hours to replace the boots and shift cable. He said it is a service that Mercruiser recommends at 8 years and the parts are an additional $400.00.

He is also recommending that I have the transom seal tightened/replaced because I do have a small leak at the transom. This is the one that really gets me; I?m being quoted 11 hours to remove/replace the hatch, engine, etc. so they can get at the bolts to fix the seal. Now if these times seem fair OK but OUCH. Any experienced opinions out there to guide me?

Locke

Scaaty

Vice Admiral
Re: Questioning Quote

Well, I'd darn sure do the boots, but 8 hours???, and $400 for parts???
Seems a little stiff (and I'd question the other stuff as well..)

flabum

Chief Petty Officer

8 hours for all the bellows and shift cable:

R&R Outdrive 2 hours
R&R U-Joint and Exhaust Bellows 2 hours (if done by the book) Realistically 1 hour.
R&R Shift cable 1 hour
Sea Trial 1 hour

If the engine needs alignment, add about 1 - 2 hours depending on accessability.

Parts should be no more than $300.

Bellows should be done every 2 years.

The transome housing (gimball housing) should never "come loose". If you have a leak back there and the gimball housing seems loose on the transom, more than likely there is rotted wood in the transom. 11 hours sounds about right for R&R the engine and hatch. Plus T&M for the transom work if needed.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

It better not take 2 hours to R&R a Bravo drive. Takes about 10 to 15 minutes to get one off.
Those bellows will last 5 years with no problems at all. Only the Volvo 290 style bellows need replace every 2 years.

Locke:
I would bet that accessability has a lot to do with the labor hours. They have seen it, and may be giving you a worst case ESTIMATE, and not a quote. Lots of people make that mistake.

flabum

Chief Petty Officer

It better not take 2 hours to R&R a Bravo drive. Takes about 10 to 15 minutes to get one off.
Those bellows will last 5 years with no problems at all. Only the Volvo 290 style bellows need replace every 2 years.

Locke:
I would bet that accessability has a lot to do with the labor hours. They have seen it, and may be giving you a worst case ESTIMATE, and not a quote. Lots of people make that mistake.

Flat rate says 2 hours on R&R drive. I was basing my response on flat rate and the question that was asked. He was asking if the quote was reasonable, my answer was to show what should be charged based on the flat rate manual.

Locke

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I'll talk to the shop tomorrow and get a more reasonable quote, 8 hours sounded way to high. I'll let you know how it goes.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

One note Locke, the flat rate manual Merc has is how much they will allow for warranty work from a dealer. Not what they say it will take to fix a customers boat in real life.

thrasher

Chief Petty Officer

I recently had my shift cable changed on my Alpha1 Gen2 and they quoted me 4 hours to change the shift cable. Everyone here seemed to think that was about right, so 8 hours to do everything you listed is probably correct!! I was going to change the cable myself (so I could have given you a real answer) but the shop changed the cable by accident so we ended up splitting the costs in half (I was a happy camper as I did not want to do that cable myself!!).

Gary

Locke

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I spoke with the mechanic and in a very nice way he said they charge the Mercruiser flat rate for work and was not willing to negotiate. He explained all that was involved and stated that in the event it takes longer I won't be charged any extra. I guess I'm not in a great position to negotiate $$$ since going elsewhere at this point would be a hastle and take up a lot of my time. I have absolutely no concern about the quality of the workmanship since I've had lots of good references about this shop so I guess you get what you pay for in this case.

BAYLINER185

Chief Petty Officer

LOCKE

Whos doing the work? BODNAR? They are expensive over there. They did some work for me this summer, re wire trailer and repair skeg and adjust some shift cables.....One day work 560.00

The trailer wiring had to be redone by me because it was wrong and 10 bucks for paint on a skeg seems crazy. I repainted the entire out drive for 4.00

I can see 2 hours for skeg repair but the totoal was too much. I was even told by somone that they are a bit expensive due to the fact they are right at the lake, after I did the work. They are very GOOD though so you more then likely will get what you pay for. I did get excelent service and a quality job. I would use them again since they are real close to where my boat is and where I use it and would pay the extra based on conveiniance!!!

Maby find another machanic BUT 11 hours to remove the engine and replace seems pretty damn good to me. This is the off season and I have been told by a lot of shops that this is the best time to have major reapirs done since they are SLOOOOWER now!! Most shops will be two to three weeks out in summer here.