j9 clinton

nigel123

Recruit
hi all i have had this outboard for twenty years and im going to sell it i could do with some info on it first.the serial num is 63903 and the type number is 13-14-9-6-0-7 i hope from these numbers one of you guys could tell me its age,its in above fair condition so have any of you guys have a rough value on it.and also i wondererd if they exported very many units as i live in england and they are unheard of over here.thanks for your time nigel.:)

Tom @ Buzzard Bluff

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: j9 clinton

hi all i have had this outboard for twenty years and im going to sell it i could do with some info on it first.the serial num is 63903 and the type number is 13-14-9-6-0-7 i hope from these numbers one of you guys could tell me its age,its in above fair condition so have any of you guys have a rough value on it.and also i wondererd if they exported very many units as i live in england and they are unheard of over here.thanks for your time nigel.:)

My generic manual says the 5 horse J-9 model was produced from 1958 thru 1968.

Both Clinton & Eska were--politely speaking---considered to be 'economy' outboards. As such they were built to be sold as inexpensively as possible.
They both used air-cooled 2 cycle engines that were originally designed for use in home or industrial lawn and garden equipment mounted on a very low-end outboard 'leg'.

To date I've only encountered one powerhead that was in an un-repairable condition. Unfortunately I can't make the same statement concerning the lower units. They are the Achilles heels of both brands IME.

Un-running versions---often on offer for the price of hauling them away at antique outboarder gatherings---commonly go unclaimed.

My experience has ranged from $5-$20 for 'parts motors' up to an astronomical $75 for a last year model Eska in as new condition without enough hours on it it be considered as 'broken-in'.

I suspect your best option is to market it as a bit of a novelty.

nigel123

Recruit

Dear Tom,

thank you very much for info on the clinton J-9, being it's 50 odd years old i thought it would of been worth more money so ive decided to keep it myself and carry on using it as a retro engine

thanks once again! Nigel

1946Zephyr

Vice Admiral

Yea, I like those little motors. I've fixed up and sold lots of them and got up to $150 each for them. They actually move pretty good, during the peak of the season and the high price of motors.:D

M

mrcrabs

tecumseh and clinton 2 cycle exhaust smoke reminds me of my childhood,:D

nigel123

Recruit

As Abraham Lincoln said, "You are never so tall as when you stoop to help a child."

nigel said,

one one was a racehorse,
two two was one too,
one one won one race,
two two won one too.

I have relations in the USA they are in benton illinois so i'm not taking the mickey, heres one more;

life is a journey,
not a race.

Thanks for all your help guys, god bless America and the UK. Merry Christmas Nigel :)

M

mrcrabs

I'm near Benton but south in the Shawnee, worked in Benton many times...

Merry Christmas to you Nigel,

coolness

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Merry Christmas Nigel from Lynchburg, Virginia!! Hope you have fun with that Clinton!! :) I mean that in a good way!!

Tom @ Buzzard Bluff

Petty Officer 1st Class

Dear Tom,
thank you very much for info on the clinton J-9, being it's 50 odd years old i thought it would of been worth more money so ive decided to keep it myself and carry on using it as a retro engine
thanks once again! Nigel

A wise choice! I've found both Clinton & Eska to be virtually bullet-proof with the exception previously noted concerning the lower unit that can be avoided by keeping a very close check about water intrusion and replacing the shoddy seals at the 1st hint that they are failing. The engines on both will seemingly last forever if fed the proper fuel mix and the waterpump kept in good fettle.

So use it and enjoy it and perhaps one day you'll have a grandchild who will value it.

And a very Merry Christmas to you & yours!

1946Zephyr

Vice Admiral

Yea, I agree. Those powerheads are pretty tough, but the Lower units need care.:cool: