It begins

hayko1971

Starmada Splash of the Year 2015
Looks great out on thew water, glad you had some good weather this weekend. :thumb:

Yeah I knew that 16'r would fly with a 90 stacked on the back. I'm thinking that 6 gal tank goes pretty darn quick. :lol:

Indeed it does go fast if I'm on it all day. You'll notice the reserve fuel can LOL. We mostly fish out of this boat, so we have been anchored most times last year. This year we've been enjoying the trolling motor. Very little fuel is consumed unless we're pulling the tube all day or just blasting around. Although it's fun, it just doesn't happen very often.

Tnstratofam

Commander
Looks like a great setup. I think I may incorperate your table idea into our SS in the near future. I'm envious, we haven't been on the water since befor Memorial day. Life and work have kept us off the water way to much this year. One thing we did was add another 6 gallon fuel tank so we would have more time on the water with less fill ups at the marinas. I don't know about where you all live, but it's allot cheaper for us to fill up on the way to the lake versus at the marinas.

hayko1971

Looks like a great setup. I think I may incorperate your table idea into our SS in the near future. I'm envious, we haven't been on the water since befor Memorial day. Life and work have kept us off the water way to much this year. One thing we did was add another 6 gallon fuel tank so we would have more time on the water with less fill ups at the marinas. I don't know about where you all live, but it's allot cheaper for us to fill up on the way to the lake versus at the marinas.

We don't have marinas with fuel on the lakes I visit so I pack the 6 gallon and the 2.5 gallon jugs on the boat. There's often another 6 gallons in the jeep too. I have many gas cans LOL.

hayko1971

Did a little figuring on how to close up the space under the splashwell.
Came up with an idea where the "door" hinges down, allowing for easy access to the bulge, battery and fuel loading.
There will be a cushioned "bench" along the splashwell ledge with a lip to hold the door closed. It will be hinged at the back. I will add some support to it so it can be used to rest a seat if I want.
The hinges I have are 1/2" too big, so it haven't yet secured it. I haven't built the bench closure yet either lol.
The cut out along the bottom is for ventilation and for my feet, I noticed while fishing out the back, my feet are under the splashwell.

hayko1971

Interesting design Rob, so it will swing down to open?

yes, it will swing down to lay flat on the floor, that will allow me to slide fuel tanks and battery in and out easily I think.

jbcurt00

Staff member
yes, it will swing down to lay flat on the floor, that will allow me to slide fuel tanks and battery in and out easily I think.

The hinge will need to be on the side of the plywood facing the helm, on top of the carpet. Else when you lay the door down, the hinge will be bound and stressed. Esp if kneeling on it or putting fuel in thru the opening.

Otherwise, I like the look of the panel, the toe cutout is a great idea, and generally this also fits the rest of the great work you've done so far.

Outstanding. Please remember to be active in Nov and Dec. I definitely think you've got an SOTY contender.

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
I really like the look of that back panel, you did a great job of fitting it too. :thumb:

Just remember those portable fuel tanks all vent fumes to the atmosphere and it's now a compartment even with the opening at the bottom there's no exit for the ventilation, in other words it would be a pressure bubble not allowing much for air movement. Think about adding a vent grate to the upper center of the door so the compartment can vent fumes.

Another idea for you as far as securing that back cover piece. You're going to have some latches on both sides near the top I'm thinking? So rather than hinges make the piece removable by using a piece of AL channel at the bottom that the entire length of the piece can rest in securing it from movement. Then you un-latch, lift up the piece and remove it off to the side so you don't have it in the way. Anyway that's what I did with my Chief's back cover if you need I can get some pics later and post them for you to see how it looks.

I agree you need to keep coming by the forum adding your experience to others builds and get in the running for the 2015 SOTY award.

hayko1971

The hinge will need to be on the side of the plywood facing the helm, on top of the carpet. Else when you lay the door down, the hinge will be bound and stressed. Esp if kneeling on it or putting fuel in thru the opening.

Otherwise, I like the look of the panel, the toe cutout is a great idea, and generally this also fits the rest of the great work you've done so far.

Outstanding. Please remember to be active in Nov and Dec. I definitely think you've got an SOTY contender.

thank you! My plan is to reverse mount the hinge stern side of the door, affixed to a block or 5/8 ply, same as the hatch before screwing to the floor. That will keep the hinges on the same plane and eliminate any binding. I hope lol

hayko1971

I really like the look of that back panel, you did a great job of fitting it too. :thumb:

Just remember those portable fuel tanks all vent fumes to the atmosphere and it's now a compartment even with the opening at the bottom there's no exit for the ventilation, in other words it would be a pressure bubble not allowing much for air movement. Think about adding a vent grate to the upper center of the door so the compartment can vent fumes.

Another idea for you as far as securing that back cover piece. You're going to have some latches on both sides near the top I'm thinking? So rather than hinges make the piece removable by using a piece of AL channel at the bottom that the entire length of the piece can rest in securing it from movement. Then you un-latch, lift up the piece and remove it off to the side so you don't have it in the way. Anyway that's what I did with my Chief's back cover if you need I can get some pics later and post them for you to see how it looks.

I agree you need to keep coming by the forum adding your experience to others builds and get in the running for the 2015 SOTY award.

I have been thinking about ventilation, in the center of my splashwell is a 3 or 4" hole for the electric cables and fuel line to run through to reach the motor. I will not put a boot on it like I did the hole for the steering and throttle cables. I edged it with wire loom to protect the cables and finish the look. Do you think that hole combined with the door/hatch slot air flow will vent any fumes out the top?

Tnstratofam

Commander
Very clean looking. Nice way to hide the battery and fuell tanks. I believe the center opening in the splashwell will work fine to vent any fuel vapors out.

dozerII

Admiral
The cover turned out awesome Rob, I really like how you hinged the splashwell cover to hold it closed.

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
Nice work Rob! Good idea with the 'kype' on the hinged splashwell piece. That's what I did for my Chief's sun deck to go over the top of the front motor cover.

If you're interested take a look at how I secured the fuel tank in my SN. A garage drip pan screwed to the deck with a tie down strap underneath and it buckles on top. Since the pic I've tossed out that Crapwood gas tank for the 5 Oceans.

IMAG0444.jpg