Is this kicker enough motor?

sutor623

Rear Admiral
Re: Is this kicker enough motor?

Yeah that sounds like a plan. There is a company that sells longshaft kits for Johnsons, that has driveshaft and shiftshaft as well as extension piece. When I priced it for my 9.9 it was around $125. They are a bit hard to find at salvageyards, and about the same cost from what I have seen. Run the motor on water (or in a nice big strong bucket if you have to), and see if you can adjust the high speed carb jet to its best (fastest) running spot, then richen it up 1/4 turn. Youd be surprised how much power you will lack with a poorly adjusted high speed jet. Id do that first and see what you get.

Chas0218

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Would a 9.8 4 stroke tohatsu be worth throwing on in it's place of the 8hp?

bob johnson

Rear Admiral

Would a 9.8 4 stroke tohatsu be worth throwing on in it's place of the 8hp?

syure since you can then use the same gas supply for the kicker.... maybe a fuel diverter valve, you can throw and suppy the kicker with fuel easily.

I think youd probably want some kind of quick dissconnect, so you dont have a fuel line running to your kicker until you need it.

bob

Chas0218

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Well the 5" extension kit did the job. I barely get it over 1/3 throttle to push the boat into the wind in 3' waves. This little motor does an awesome job now that it's extended.